Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2002, 04:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

A little treat for the Minuet owners.

Hi All,

This was sent to me by a friend. supposed to be original.

http://adcache.rvtraderonline.com/3/9/5/1950695.htm

Have fun!

The Egg and I. Yep, I'll christen mine "The Egg"

Argosy '77 6 Metre Minuet
barbwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 07:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
argosy

Actually, I've seen this Argosy for sale for over a year now. It had been restored by the dealer, according to an earlier ad. The price started at 12,999 a year and a half ago. Very tempting, but I never called on it.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 08:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Hi all.

I know nothing about prices, but a few people were talking about what the original Argosy Minuet looked like. I thought this was the closest picture I have seen for the year model. I'm trying to restore something of mine.

This is the first picture that I have seen posted that shows what the interior did look like. My interior has been changed alot.

I think original Argosy owners will be interested in this.

barbwire
Old 11-10-2002, 09:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Barbwire!

I had nearly forgotten about the Minuet that American Way RV had been trying to sell. It really makes me appreciate the price that I paid for mine. The biggest difference on mine in the condition of the exterior paint and the lack of an awning - - the domes are in definite need of paint, but the balance of the coach should polish out nicely.

Mine has the same upholstery fabric only with the twin gaucho lounges instead of the dinette. I even have the same, faded original plush carpet. I think that the drapes may be newer than the coach as the fabric doesn't appear to be the weave that was used in 1977/78 - - mine still has the original draperies that are in tatters.

With any luck, my mechanic will have the bearing/brake work complete tomorrow and I will be able to tow the trailer home. If that works out, I will be able to post a few digital photos of its "before" condition as I haven't even had a chance to thoroughly clean the interior or exterior.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 06:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Barbwire,
I have seen that one before on the Trader. I thought I paid too much for mine but if this dealer gets anything close to what he wants I would feel lucky. I gave 4 grand for mine and it looked about like this one. My axle was shot which I found out after buying it. Mine has the original Zip-Dee awnings (curb and streetside), which are in suprisingly good shape so that made me feel a little better. I probably would'nt have bought it if not for the awnings. The front and rear domes had paint missing and surface rust which I guess is typical.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:36 PM   #6
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Beauty

Hello Fellas - Well, that picture makes me feel good and bad!! Good that we didnt pay nearly that much for ours and bad that it hasn't sold for that price so that I can feel justified in spending more to fix ours up~! Bummer.

I showed the picture to Price (another hint about pics for him) and now he is on a kick about the fold down awning. Ours has a manual awning that you thread into a slot on trailer and take out when traveling (a hassle to be sure), but it is still in good shape. How much does a Zip Dee or other brand that folds down cost? Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 02:06 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

RE: Zip Dee Awnings

Greetings Leigh!

I haven't gotten a price on a new Zip Dee for my Minuet, but I recently purchased new main and side Zip Dee awnings for my Overlander. Based upon the cost of my Overlander's curbside awning, I would suspect that a Zip Dee in the size for a Minuet would be approximately $1,250.00 installed. I know from my experience with the Overlander that mesurement of the awning size is critical - - it isn't necessarily the length of the awning rail - - it needs to be based upon the proper mounting points for the main awning arms. Even though my regular Airstream dealer sells a number of Zip Dee awning each year, they still called the factory to verify measurement requirements because the coach was a vintage unit.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 11-11-2002, 06:38 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I don't have the awnings either. But I did get the Reese dual cam hitch.

Buying this little travel trailer has been more fun than I could have imagined. All I find are great people willing to help get these things on the road again. This is my first. I think instead of the awning I might try a tree for the first couple of years.

I think the Minuets greatest advantage is that you do not need a big diesle engine to move it. I hope that will protect our investment. The small ones do seem popular right now.

My trailer has been hacked too much to get it to original. I think I might just refinish it my own way.

Take care...

Barbwire
Old 11-11-2002, 06:48 PM   #9
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hey Barbwire - I agree totally on the fun!! We haven't even really used our little Mini yet but I truly enjoy coming here and getting good info and sharing ideas and pics. YES. we have pics!!! I just posted them on the Members Photos. My hub is still laughing over my inspired little blurbs at the bottom. Just wait, I'm warming up!! Leigh
Old 11-11-2002, 07:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
$ on Argosy's

Hey all, don't be afraid on spending $ on your trailers. I think the Argosy / Airstreams are great! Just consider the alternative white boxes out there. My wife and I were considering buying a "nearly new" Jayco for about $13,000. But the plastiky / tacky interior drove us nuts. We knew we would want to redo the interior if we bought it. Even the Minuet that American has IS such a deal for basically a new Argosy - we just wanted to spend our money on making our trailer OURS! I think all of us are having fun, just don't think of the $$. Besides, it makes me feel better not thinking of how much I'm spending on the new inside "clothes" for our baby! I'm still miles ahead then if I'd bought "semi new)
Marc
Old 11-12-2002, 05:32 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Great looking Argosy Leigh, in much better shape than mine. I wished my paint looked that good on the outside. I bet you got a good deal on it too. It is amazing what they did with that extra two feet over my Minuet.

Be sure and get on the VACList. (Vintage Airstream Club email List.) I have never been on an email list before, so it took some effort to learn, but there is a ton of information there. The archives are handled in a different area, at www.tompatterson.com

I have learned a lot from reading the archives. You may already be aware of these places, just thought I would mention them.

I am not too afraid of spending a little $. This is my first trailer. I have found I enjoy working on it. When the wife starts looking at me with a furrowed brow, I sneak out there and have total peace. lol . I put a Radio Shack 20 something db amplifier on the popup antenna, and can pick up PBS FM from a hundred miles.

The last thing I checked was the trailer frame. It seems to be in good condition. This is a green light to replace my tired axle. My unit seems to be in good shape as far as structure goes. This trailer stuff is a bit hard if you are a begginer.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Barbwire
Old 11-13-2002, 09:29 AM   #12
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Thanks!!

Hello everybody - Guess you all noticed that Price wrestled the keyboard away from me for a short time yesterday.

Thanks for all the positive feedback on Mini!! We ARE excited about working on her. The list grows for things to do as I write this....just like Christmas. Tis the season.

I was wondering. Does anybody have steps installed in their trailer? Was following a thread where Smily installed new steps and it got me thinking since we are currently using a box to step down (not real elegant, but gets the job done). If you dont have them, are you thinking along those lines?

Also, does anyone have thoughts or ideas re: mice. We have not had that problem, but our trailer is wintering at some friends out in the country and I started thinking that they (the mice, not the friends!!) might become a problem. Any ideas about keeping them out?

Barbwire
I have been to the Patterson site. Somewhat confusing! I have not signed up yet, although I am sure you are right concerning the info listed there. I have gotten somewhat spoiled here as it is so easy to use and info is also MILDLY (just kidding) useful.

Marc
I wrote you a short note re: "sand in Canada" on the Argosy trailer thread. Thought it was important that I fill your head with important sand facts in case your family ever gets up Vancouver way. Gotta go for now, Leigh
Old 11-13-2002, 10:07 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

RE: Step

Greetings Leigh!

I can't speak for the 22' and 24' Minuets, but the 20' Minuet never had an attached step (at least my '78 Minuet didn't have a permanently installed step and the owner's manual seems to bear this out at least for the '78). I was fortunate in acquiring my Minuet from the Original Owner who was kind enough to include the original aluminum step that is very similar to a high quality step-stool. I think, but do not remember off-hand, that it either has the Airstream or Argosy logo molded into the rubber tread on its top - - the top is Argosy orange/brown. I will try to post a picture of it this evening.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 11-13-2002, 07:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Step this way

My Argosy came with (and the manual shows) the same steps as shown by "Smiley" except that they appear to be all steel, not steel holders with aluminum steps. The foldout mechanism looks to be the same. When I bring the trailer home over Thanksgiving, I'll try to remember to measure the door opening. Perhaps Airstream left off the steps to save on weight/cost? Keven's step (if it ever showed up on Ebay would probaby cost a mint (if the jack plate is any indication)! If the door opening is the same size, I don't see why the steps wouldn't be able to be retrofitted? I would probably do this before the cork floor goes in however, it seems you may have to cut up the floor around the door to make it fit, if Smilie's post is any indication.

Leigh - I laughed SO HARD at the Toronto / Vancouver thing!! My wife wanted to know "what's so funny!" Oh well, I'll keep searching for my sandpit.
Marc
Old 11-14-2002, 09:25 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

RE: Minuet Accessory Entry Step

I finally got around to taking a few digital photos of my '78 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre. From reading my literature, it appears that this step was a Minuet only accessory - - something like the similar size step utilized with the Airstream Bambi from 1961-1963. My memory didn't serve, the top is argosy brown/rust, but there isn't any type of trademark or makers mark anywhere on the step so far as I have been able to determine. It is made out of heavy sheet aluminum and is rivited where the components join.

This is a view from the bottom of the step:

It is a sturdy little step, and actually is more comfortable to use than the built-in step on my 1964 Overlander.

I was also able to get a few before pictures of my Minuet 6.0 Metre posted as well as 2 photos of the restored drop leaf dinette table from my '64 Overlander International. The photos can be found at:

1964 Overlander International/1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre

Kevin
AIR #827