Old 04-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
A CA vs OH Airstream

While I haven't been able to get any official confirmation, I do have multiple pieces of literature from Argosy's first generation that notes that coaches were manufactured in both Ohio and California. I realize that this flies in the face of the conventional wisdom and the story as told by the parent company in recent years. I didn't believe this when I first heard reports, but there have been several Argosy coaches that have been identified with the "S" in the VIN to denote Cerritos, California as the plant of manufacture. The number of coaches that have surfaced with the "S" VIN is a very small number in the overall production run of Argosy coaches for any given year. The literature that I have lists the California plant through 1978 - - all mention of California plant was dropped from the 1979 literature that I have.

As with so many things Airstream related there are almost no absolutes . . . . .

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #16
1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
CA vs OH Argosy

We now have our new 1978 Argosy in our possession, and none of the several plates attached to the exterior give a place of manufacture. However-- it came with the original owner's copy of the "Argosy Production Order" and the letterhead has a left sided

printed on it. When Joe has a chance to scan it I can post it if anyone is interested in perusing it. I was happy to see that alot of the original printed material came with the trailer. Now the fun (or is that work?) begins...

whitefawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #17
. , .
this info will totally ROCK the a/s history "as we know it" world, should it be truely a CArgosy...

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Interesting Kevin!

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Another California Argosy!

So, I saw this thread & realized we'd never really looked at our VIN. Imagine my surprise when I saw an 'S' in there!

Here are a couple of pictures - the 'S' is kind of faded, but you can see it. It matches the VIN on the title.

Unfortunately, we don't have any of the original paperwork, so this is all we have to go on. Still, it's a neat discovery!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vin Plate.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	103423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vin Plate 2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	103424  

Sean & Sharon
AIR #: 27389