Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2003, 01:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

'79 Argosy 7.3?

We've been in the market for an older Airstream and someone approached me about an Argosy 7.3 meter trailer they intend to sell sometime soon. I've searched this forum and the internet and haven't found much -- at least not much compared with what's available for Airstreams! -- so I figure I'd ask the questions here and hope for help. Please ...

I did see one post here mentioning that 7.3 meter Argosys were rare ... is that so? Doing a little calculating, 7.3 meters works out to just under 24 feet. Is that from hitch to rear bumper, making the living quarters about 21 feet? Were these one axle or two? Any idea of the approximate weight?

Oh yeah, the bottom line: How much should one of these cost in good/very good condition?

I've also read that some Argosys used an aluminum/foam sandwich flooring. Was that standard, or did it only appear on certain models?

I've also seen that "Minuets" were 8 inches narrower than "standard" Argosys. Does anyone know where the 7.3 meter model fit in those lines?

Thanks for any and all help.

Mike
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 03:05 PM   #2
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Mikey - Not sure I can remember all your ???, but will try. The 7.3 is measured on the outside - axle to bumper, so it should be about 21' inside. We have a 6.7 metre or just under 22' and it is about 19' inside. The 7.3 is a double axle, all other Minuets are single. All Minuets are smaller by 8" across. I am going to refer you to a forum thread called "All Argosy Trailers" in the forum listed as Airstreams by Model and Year. Going back to page 2 and 3 will yield threads when there were fewer Argosy trailers on the forum and we were all looking for history on them. You should find quite a bit of info there on ??? you have and some you might not have thought of. Somewhere in there, I think I posted some info re: 1970 prices on the different Argosy's for 1978. That is what ours is. You might be able to get an idea about what you would pay by that and also by reading what some of us have paid lately. The range can be quite alot. I believe you would be the 4th or 5th 7.3 Metre that has (will be?) posted here. About the same as the 6.7 Metre. We are pretty sure the 6.7 was introduced in 78 and the 7.3 in 79. We love the look of our Mineut with the big front windows and it is quite a bit lighter weight than some of the AS's as it was introduced during the "fuel crisis" of the 70's. Good luck on gathering info and possible purchase. Leigh

PS: here's one you might enjoy
PHP Code:
Argosy Minuet 22' and 24' (1979?) 
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 04:54 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
This might not answer too many questions but there is some info on this site www.argosytrailer.com a lot of good pictures too.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
'79 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre

Greetings Mike!

Quote:
I did see one post here mentioning that 7.3 meter Argosys were rare ... is that so?
I am very curious about the actual production numbers for all of the Minuets, especially the 7.3 Metre or 24-foot. There have been any number of rumors regarding production especially on the 24-foot Minuet - - the most recent one being that only one was produced per dealer (so far as I know this is strictly a rumor). I have heard reports of three of the 24-foot Minuets in the greater Chicago area and actually had the opportunity to see one at the Midwest Forums Rally this spring. Regardless of other issues, the Minuet was a three-year series (at least as far as my literature would indicate) so there aren't going to be a tremendous number of them runnning around.

Quote:
Were these one axle or two? Any idea of the approximate weight?
The tandem axle 7.3 Metre Minuet had an empty weight of 3,820 pounds (without options, fluids, or the owner's personal possessions), and a hitch weight of 510 pounds (empty). The actual weight with options and a reasonable amount of personal possessions, I would expect the 7.3 Metre to weigh in at approximately 5.000 pounds with a hitch weight approaching 625 pounds. My 6.0 Metre Minuet weighs in at 3,200 pounds (loaded ready for vacation) with a hitch weight of 520 pounds - - empty weight for my 6.0 Metre were 2,450 pounds with a hitch weight of 395 pounds.

Quote:
I've also read that some Argosys used an aluminum/foam sandwich flooring. Was that standard, or did it only appear on certain models?
At this point, I am aware of the aluminum composite flooring being found only in the 6.0 Metre Minuets. I don't believe that I have seen or heard any reports from owners of 6.7 Metre or 7.3 Metre Minuets regarding the flooring material utilized. The factory literature that I have makes no mention of flooring materials for any of the Minuets - - other than mentioning that carpeting was standard in each of the Minuet coaches.

Quote:
I've also seen that "Minuets" were 8 inches narrower than "standard" Argosys. Does anyone know where the 7.3 meter model fit in those lines?
Yes, according to all of the factory literature that I have all three Minuets shared the 7.0' width. The outside height from ground (without air conditioner) is listed as 8' 5.5". Interior height of 6' 4". The hitch height is stated at 18".

Some other things that you might want to be aware of as you look at the coach would include: The side windows are Acrylic - - they have held up very well on my coach, but not all have been so fortunate. The front wrap around window is Herculite Safety Glass and is identical (other than a narrower center section) to the wrap around window assembly used in Airstreams. The OEM refrigerator was a 6.0 cubic foot Dometic. There likely won't be an entrance step built-in - - evidently the Minuets came from the factory with an aluminum step stool to serve the purpose (I purchased my Minuet from the original owner and this step stool was included with the trailer). All of the furniture (and cabinetry) is vinyl-clad aluminum with plastic laminate tambour in the roof lockers as well as medicine chest and cabinet below kitchen sink. While the gray water tank was standard in the Minuet be prepared for the likely circumstance that the shower will not be connected to the gray water tank - - both are at the same level on top of the floor - - the gray water tank is found in the streetside corner of the rear wardrobe.

There are two basic variables in the 7.3 Metre floorplan according to my literature. The first is the bedroom - - center twin (a twin bed on either side of the center hall) or center double (a pull-out double bed on the curbside with a wardrobe/vanity unit on the streetside). The second is the front arrangement - - either a front lounge with Credenza Table (mounted on curbside wall next to door) - - or a front dinette. There were five interior decorating schemes - - Argosy Blue, Argosy Brown, Argosy Red, Argosy Green, or Argosy Orange.

Quote:
Oh yeah, the bottom line: How much should one of these cost in good/very good condition?
It is very difficult to estimate values on a coach as it varies to a degree with geographic location as well as the supply. You might try the link below in helping establish a reasonable price for the coach:

Vintage Airstream Price Vs. Condition

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 11:17 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the guidance ...

I haven't actually spoken with the current owner yet, except via e-mail, but hope to have the chance to look at the trailer this weekend. I'll jot down any numbers I see that might help with production numbers ... I guess it would be "24" and some letters and then some numbers that would reflect the production number. I'll search diligently. And I'll keep an eye on those potential problem areas, too.

Man, there's a wealth of knowledge on this site! And I appreciate the help.

Mike Young
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 12:52 PM   #6
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Mikey - The VIN # (which has all those #'s and letters) will be on the title. Probibly the easiest place to find it. We found it interesting that our VIN shows our trailer to be manufactured in 78, but most seem to have been produced in 79. All part of the learning process!!! Keep us posted on your progress. Hope it works out for you.

Aaron - Hey, interesting Argosy site. Nice to see someone want to create a webpage just for the Argosy trailer. Maybe with time, he will end up getting quite a bit of info on production #'s. Quite a variety of trailers and MHs. One of the 20' trailers looks like MWilliford's that posts here on the forum. Wonder if they know their trailer is on that site?

Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 01:22 PM   #7
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Mike,

There was a 1979 Argosy 7.3 on ebay last week that sold for $7200 and looked nice in the pictures. should show up for a few more weeks if you want to see that one.

I'm looking hard at Argosys (Argosies?) myself also.

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Hi there,

I have a 78 7.3. I have the plywood floors. I haven't seen anything on a 7.3 with the honeycomb floor. Looks like the rest of your questions were answered. Good luck if u go for it Mike.....
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote