Old 01-29-2009, 11:29 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Hello from the new folks on the forum!
We just bought our '78 22' Minuet last weekend and, like all '78s I believe, we have an aluminum floor. We have the definite sagging between the floor supports. The previous owner put down what appears to be a peel and stick wood looking vinyl floor on top of the aluminum (they removed the carpet). Of course, the sagging is really noticeable. Everyone in this thread seemed to worry more about the rivets more than the sagging. So, my question is to all of you and mainly to Kevin: Did you get rid of most of the sag when you put in your floor or is it still there but not as pronounced? Our little Argosy is close to being original, so we're just beginning the process of fixing things to get it on the road. Any suggestions would be welcome.
I look forward to seeing your posts.
Thanks.
Beth & Chris in Atlanta

Old 01-30-2009, 02:42 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
'78 Minuet with Aluminum Floor

Greetings Beth and Chris!

Welcome to the Forum and the world of Vintage Minuets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYAKAMPERS View Post
Hello from the new folks on the forum!
We just bought our '78 22' Minuet last weekend and, like all '78s I believe, we have an aluminum floor. We have the definite sagging between the floor supports. The previous owner put down what appears to be a peel and stick wood looking vinyl floor on top of the aluminum (they removed the carpet). Of course, the sagging is really noticeable. Everyone in this thread seemed to worry more about the rivets more than the sagging. So, my question is to all of you and mainly to Kevin: Did you get rid of most of the sag when you put in your floor or is it still there but not as pronounced? Our little Argosy is close to being original, so we're just beginning the process of fixing things to get it on the road. Any suggestions would be welcome.
I look forward to seeing your posts.
Thanks.
Beth & Chris in Atlanta
My Minuet had very minimal sway between the cross members. What little sway there was is completely hidden by the Armstrong Laminate floors that were installed over Armstrong Quiet Step Underlayment. My floors just completed their fifth season and I can report that they look as nice as the day they were installed. I only have one very minor rough spot that is the result of some moisture at one joint -- others don't notice it, but I know where it is so I can find it easily -- I still wouldn't consider any of the other potential solutions I looked at. The floors are actually nearly as warm as carpeting with the extra layer of quiet step underlayment (the Armstrong Laminate that was used had its own built-in pad as well).

Where there is significant sway in the floor there are a couple of choices. The laminate can be run so that the long edge is perpendicular to the sway. In cases of exceptional sway, I have heard of two approaches -- one is to remove the bellypan and add support braces to lift and remove as much of the sway as possible -- the second involves using leveling compound similar to what is used to level floors prior to instally vinyl tile (I am not sure how well this would bond to the aluminum--or how much of a weight factor it would be).

Good luck with your Minuet!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote