Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Stone Mountain , Georgia
'78 Argosy 22' Minuet toilet needed

We are looking for the original toilet (12 1/2" high) for our 6.7 Minuet. Of course, it would be nice if it was in working condition. Any advice would be welcome also because we want a toilet that fits under the drop down cabinet located over the toilet and by my specs and measuring our Argosy, we only have 12 1/2" of height available. I would be willing to trade a perfectly working and almost new AquaMagic V for a working original.
Thanks.
Beth

p.s. We went to our first WBCCI Rally this weekend and had a great time. Looking forward to more!

Towed by 2016 Ford F-150
Tin Can Tourist
TAC #GA-27
AIR #34930
KAYAKAMPERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYAKAMPERS View Post
We are looking for the original toilet (12 1/2" high) for our 6.7 Minuet. Of course, it would be nice if it was in working condition. Any advice would be welcome also because we want a toilet that fits under the drop down cabinet located over the toilet and by my specs and measuring our Argosy, we only have 12 1/2" of height available. I would be willing to trade a perfectly working and almost new AquaMagic V for a working original.
Thanks.
Beth

p.s. We went to our first WBCCI Rally this weekend and had a great time. Looking forward to more!
The toilet that fits is a Sealand 110 made by Dometic, you will need the low model. You will need to shift the mounting flange and the whole job took me less than an hour.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Colorado Springs , Colorado
Gary is correct and his experence helped me with my project, Thanks Gary. I just installed the Sealand 111 low profile in my Minuet 6.0 Metre. I am not as fast as Gary :-) and I had to install 4 times before I was happy with everything. All told with modifying the flange to accept 4 bolts the job took about 4 hours. Also had to modify the drain line from the kitchen, but I am very happy with the install now. A bonus is the Airstream secret compartment is still usable.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Stone Mountain , Georgia
What do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Gary is correct and his experence helped me with my project, Thanks Gary. I just installed the Sealand 111 low profile in my Minuet 6.0 Metre. I am not as fast as Gary :-) and I had to install 4 times before I was happy with everything. All told with modifying the flange to accept 4 bolts the job took about 4 hours. Also had to modify the drain line from the kitchen, but I am very happy with the install now. A bonus is the Airstream secret compartment is still usable.
Hey Royce! What do you mean "still usable?" Does it not open completely? Right now with the toilet we have it opens, but just not completely like it should or did with the original toilet.
Also, I have looked over and over those specs. The Dometic Sealand 110 is too high (http://www2.dometicusa.com/pdf/60034...r%20OM-803.pdf page 13 for the specs for all). You mentioned the 111 which is the lower version.
Here's a picture of our toilet now. Does yours look different?
Also, since we're missing the plastic covering behind the toilet to hide the plumbing, do any of ya'll have a picture of what it SHOULD look like?
We were the only Argosy at the WBCCI Region 3 Rally this weekend.
Thanks.
Beth
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Region 3 Rally Perry Georgia 015.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	79306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Region 3 Rally Perry Georgia 016.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	79307  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Region 3 Rally Perry Georgia 018.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	79308  

Towed by 2016 Ford F-150
Tin Can Tourist
TAC #GA-27
AIR #34930
Old 04-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Colorado Springs , Colorado
The Airstream secret compartment is fully functional and the door opens all of the way to 90 degrees. The 111 extended further back and I had to alter the kitchen drain line directly behind the toilet. I needed about 0.5 more inches of clearance. A piece of 1.75" ID flexible radiator hose made it all work. I also had to alter the plastic cap that covers the vacuum breaker at the back of the toilet. It was too tall to go back on but a little work with a Japanese pull saw and some sand paper did the trick. We purchased the model with the sprayer hose and I wish I had not bought that option. Just one more thing to leak in the future. Initially I thought the 111 would be too tall to be able to salvage the compartment above but by the time I had compressed the gasket there was just enough room.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Thanks!

Royce,
Thanks for all of those little helpful hints. My husband is great at figuring out everything also. He's a home remodeler and a good person to have around a Vintage trailer!! I usually do all of the leg work and fact finding, order what we need, then he puts it in. I had seen and heard that the Sealand 111 worked, but looking at the specs made me skeptical, so I asked again.
Now I'll order it and tell Chris what ya'll did to get it installed.
Thanks a lot!
Beth

Towed by 2016 Ford F-150
Tin Can Tourist
TAC #GA-27
AIR #34930
Old 09-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
Helena , Montana
Send a message via AIM to MontanaArgy Send a message via Yahoo to MontanaArgy
Did it work?

Beth how did the 111 work out for you? I am needing to either replace the valve in the original toilet in my '76 Argosy, or get a new one, and I like the idea of a new one if it will actually fit! Does the secret compartment still open? Do you like the sprayer, I was going to order one of those either way until I read Royce's post.
MontanaArgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I don't know about anyone else, but our Minuet doesn't have a cover for the pipes behind the toilet either. I doubt it ever had one: no evidence of attachment points at all.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Interesting!! We have a Perma-Flush toilet in our 6.7metre Minuet and the secret compartment door opens fine. I don't know if our toilet is original or not??, but it works and we can still get replacement parts (we had to replace the water valve assembly)

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I have a Thetford AM IV LO that was put in before we got her. I have about 2 inches clearance to the bottom of the door. It opens to about 120 degrees.

I've tried to get the footprint from the original off the floor with no luck. Lol, rather have the properly working toilet in any case..

Al
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:44 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Stone Mountain , Georgia
We put in an old/original toilet

Well, we ended up NOT getting the 111. By all measurements, there wasn't anything out there that would allow us to open our secret compartment. We had the AquaMagic V toilet and the door wouldn't open all of the way. At a Region 3 Airstream Rally, I asked around about toilets AND asked if anyone had an old one in good shape. We met some nice folks from Florida who said they had taken theirs out to put in a new one and that they still had it and we could have it. We are in Florida a lot, so we made a visit, picked it up, and Chris installed it. It fits PERFECTLY and now our door opens. They took it out because the valve that keeps a little bit of water in the tank has a slow leak. I can live with that! We've got a nice Aqua Magic V toilet we will plan on selling and can bring it to the International Rally in Wyoming next summer! haha

I'm all for trying to do original as much as possible, but it doesn't always work. We had some cracks in our shower and nothing behind the toilet. Chris used some shower panels he got at Home Depot/Lowes, took out the trim pieces and installed the new panels. Then he cut a piece that fits in behind the toilet. It is all a little whiter than our older discolored off-white, but hardly noticeable.

Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaArgy View Post
Beth how did the 111 work out for you? I am needing to either replace the valve in the original toilet in my '76 Argosy, or get a new one, and I like the idea of a new one if it will actually fit! Does the secret compartment still open? Do you like the sprayer, I was going to order one of those either way until I read Royce's post.

Towed by 2016 Ford F-150
Tin Can Tourist
TAC #GA-27
AIR #34930

Tags
1978, argosy, minuet, toilet