Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
'78 24' Argosy Bath Sink Replacement

I have a 78 24'Argosy that has need of repairs/replacements. The bath sink has developed a hole with several spider cracks that lead me to conclude the sink is so brittle that it can't or shouldn't be repaired. The sink is a complete top to the cabinet beneath. Has anyone replaced the sink? Found a suitable replacement? Has anyone remodeled the bath including removing the cowling that holds the "secret compartment"? I am replacing the toilet and it doesn't fit with the original plastic toilet surround. So I either have to buy another toilet ( number 2 LOL) or cut into that palstic surround.

Lets focus on the sink for now.

Thanks
buffaloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
New sink

Here is what I did in my '74 26' Argosy. One photo of the old bath. I'm debating on recovering the secret compartment lid or just leaving it off all together. I patched the floor and built a new platform for the toilet using treated lumber for the platform. I was carefull not to let the treated lumber come in contact with the aluminum. I understand that the salts used would corrode the aluminum. One thing left to do is build a cover for the vent pipe just to the right of the new sink. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Bath.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	905.8 KB
ID:	114780   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0345R.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	114781  

Name:	New sink & vanity.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	1,004.0 KB
ID:	114782  
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Thats awsome!!! You did GREAT!!

...Makes me miss my Argosy.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:36 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
TG, what toilet did you use? Also it appears you deleted the closet to get the space to rotate the sink to its present location. Did you move the electronics, inverter, etc. or did you leve these under the new sink?
buffaloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Buffaloman: I used a Thetford Aqua 5 with the hand flush option. I moved the inverter to the cabinet next to the toilet. The cabinet under the sink is used for all of the valving involved in the water system. I've attached a photo. I moved the 120 volt AC panel to the bulkhead between the berthing area and the bath. Yes, I tore out the closet. It made no sense to me that you would hang clothes in a place where the moisture from the shower could infiltrate the clothes, not to mention other odors that are certain to occur in that room, if you know what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New PEX tubing Valve Setup.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	1,014.2 KB
ID:	114812  
Old 04-26-2011, 06:12 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hill country , Texas
What an awesome idea! And great detailed pics! This makes me confident I can tackle this project myself. Did you build the cabinets yourself? You wouldn't happen to have any measurements for that project laying around, would you?! Also, what did you use to get the dreaded yellow out of the shower/ bathroom walls and plastic?
ArgosyGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Just realized I said inverter in my previous post. I should have said converter. I have since removed the old UniVolt converter and installed a new one. I also relocated it to the area below the sink. I built a shelf above the piping to locate it.
As for the measurements, I don't have any thing. I removed the closet in the bath. In order to put the sink in it's present location, I rerouted the vent pipe for the grey and black water tanks. It runs under the counter top where the sink is located and exits the trailer in the original location.
I did fabricate the cabinets myself. It was a matter of measuring the space available; then building face frames that would fit in the space. I can tell you that the depth of the sink cabinet is about the same as the old closet front, this was necessary in order to support the box that I built to cover the vent stack. The dimensions of the cabinet next to the toilet are close to those of the cabinet that was originally there. Of coarse this cabinet sets on top of the box that covers the black water tank. I also rebuilt that box, I used 3/4" material to make it more sturdy. The original 1/4" material just wasn't sturdy enough in my opinion.
There wasn't much I could do about the yellow plastic ceiling dome. I did clean all the surfaces with "Simple Green". I used it full strength and rinsed with clear water. "SG" works great on the vinyl coated aluminum and did clean the plastic. But it had no effect on the yellow color. I had considered painting the plastic, but am concerned that the paint would peel off because of the steam from the shower. That would look even worse than the yellow plastic. There are still some calcuim deposits in the tub, I am having some success with getting it off, it's a slow process. The shower surround is vinyl and cleaned up well with the "SG".
I don't have plans to remove the cowling for the secret compartment because it covers the piping to the shower and with the new toilet, the original door on the secret compartment won't work. I plan to just cover the compartment with something that matches the bath colors and forget the secret compartment.
If you check out my blog you can see the changes I made in the galley and dinette area.

Tags
argosy, bath sink, replace