Old 12-21-2003, 12:47 PM   #1
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
'78 20' Minuet repair question: grey/black water drain valves

Anyone have an idea on the difficulty of replacing these? I havent tore into it yet and just still working over the issue in my head.

I'm not worried about doing the plumbing repair parts of it as much as i am wondering how hard it is to get at them and if i will be required to remove sections of the belly pan. Now that i think about it i guess i wont be able to aviod removing the rear piece

As it is right now, my grey water valve doesnt work at all. Water constantly drains from it no matter if the valve is open or closed. The Black water valve is very stiff. Understandable considering the age of the trailer. I guess its a good think i decided to buy a small 5 gal overflow tank when we first got the trailer and set out for the first time.

Does anyone have any experience in this area or perhaps a picture or two showing the setup if i could get so lucky?

Thanks.

former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 01:03 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Van,

I have not had the experience of doing the valve work on a Minuet, but if the construction is like other Airstreams you may have an access cover under the valves that can be removed to do the work. It the hole is too small you can enlarge it with tin snips and cover with a bigger piece of aluminum sheet.

In my Argosy MH I had to pull the roadside rear banana wrap. The rivets that secure it were under the lower rub rail trim, so I had to remove it too. The thing to be careful of if the banana wrap is ABS is to be gentle. Much of this type of trim is NLA. The valves may just need new seals. the kits can be bought at most RV dealer camping stores. You will want to get the part number off the old valve to get the right seals for it. There are 2 different types of valve, so different kits are called for.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 03:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
'78 20' Minuet repair question: grey/black water drain valves

Greetings Van!

I don't know whether your '78 Minuet will have the same arrangement as mine, but on mine there is a 3' wide section of the belly pan that is held on by sheet metal screws creating an access panel to service the rear plumbing. It has been required on a regular basis due to the Minuet's minimal ground clearance creating issues with service station entrances and exits.

I have left my plumbing repairs to Ace Fogdall RV, but have had one ocassion where it was necessary to re-install the access panel as it dropped down in-transit. Once the access panel is down, the plumbing is accessible - - awkward to reach at best, but accessible. The valves are up against the floor boards since both the gray and balck water tanks are mounted above the floor.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:48 AM   #4
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Thanks for the replies guys.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:40 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Talking

Hey Van

I did my black water valve last summer on my 78 Minuet.
I had an access panel that was already there but had to enlarge it due to the fact that the P.O had glued all the fittings to the valve and into the tank, so I had to redo a bit more than expected.
The Thetford T-01447 replacement valve can be purchased from American Way RV Center in Boise, ID. The airstream part number for the valve is 008706. I paid $42.19 for it and it was a new exact match for the orginal which I busted into many parts trying to pull out ....LOL.
As for the repairing the enlarged access hole, just go to your local hardware store or Lowe's and pick up some sheet aluminum cut it a bit larger and pre drill and screw it on as a new cover for it.
Also do a search for black water valve in the forums, lots of step by step instructions on how to do it...untill you run into glued in fittings, that's where the creative thinking starts.
Good Luck
Eric