Old 05-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #15
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
The OP apparently found a couple of used ones, that's why I was asking. If used ones are $1k/each the rotting hulk with 4 good panos I looked at in KY might have been worth $4k...
Thats been my thought, to buy a junker and salvage what I can. I had a line on one and got beaten to it. Then they decided to sell it and I was all ready to go get it and they dropped off the face of the planet.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Chester , New Hampshire
not too proud to talk money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
So, I'm curious (in a morbid sort of way) about how much replacement clear pano windows actually cost. Care to share?
Hi DKB! I spent $600 apiece for my vintage clear replacements, plus shipping to New England (Inland had them). All in all, about $1500. I was happy to pay for the pricey shipping to ensure that they arrived unscathed. They were well packaged in a custom plywood box (they're still in there). I was impressed.

In other expensive news, I just busted my KT latch last night. Dammit! There goes another $500.

Meagan
1977 Argosy 28
WBCCI#1528
AIR#73368
TinyFixation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyFixation View Post
Hi DKB! I spent $600 apiece for my vintage clear replacements, plus shipping to New England (Inland had them). All in all, about $1500. I was happy to pay for the pricey shipping to ensure that they arrived unscathed. They were well packaged in a custom plywood box (they're still in there). I was impressed.

In other expensive news, I just busted my KT latch last night. Dammit! There goes another $500.
That makes me feel kinda-good. I went another route... I found a salvage Argosy donor trailer to get the pano I need for il Progetto. I'm paying a competent technician to remove the window, so that will add to the cost I'm sure, but I got the whole trailer for $800 and I'm going to use some other parts off of it for my trailer, and sell what I don't need that's of use to others. (Its KT is a bit of a mess I'm afraid, or I'd offer you a used one. )

Unfortunately it only had one good pano (the other was plexiglass) but it was the one I needed so I bought the thing. If I had 2 panos I might have ended up getting all my parts for free , net. Still, I can't complain, though I did complain about the chigger bites I got rescuing the donor trailer...

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Tiny,
What happened with the KT lock? You may be able to repair it. I have been successful in repairing this lock. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Chester , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Tiny,
What happened with the KT lock? You may be able to repair it. I have been successful in repairing this lock. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Twinkie, thanks! I've been babying the hell out of that latch, and last week I gently closed the door holding the latch handle open, only releasing it once the door was shut. I always give the handle a little pull to make sure the door is fully latched and the handle just swung right out with no resistance and no movement of the latch. I think it might be repairable as it seems to have only lost its spring action. Once I can get a boost through the busted window I'll see of it opens from the inside, or if I have to peel the inner skins off the door just to get the door to open (I know I'll have to de-skin to ultimately repair or replace the hardware). I'll replace the whole lockset eventually since my trailer didn't come with keys, and I'd hate to get locked out once I've got those new panos in...

DKB, great idea to buy the donor trailer. I keep my eyes peeled for them all of the time just in case I could score another for under $1K, if for nothing other than spare windows! My Argosy is a real junker (probably a better donor trailer than a primary) from the get-go, but it was only $500 and I was going to gut whatever I bought anyways. For better or worse, I'll be doing the window replacement myself. Doesn't look like too tough of a job, just unnerving. I would rather hire someone else to clean out the situation in the belly pan... (insert dry-heaving smiley here).

Meagan
1977 Argosy 28
WBCCI#1528
AIR#73368
TinyFixation is offline   Reply With Quote