Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
AZArgosyGuy

77 Argosy 26 T- Major Shock problem

Spent an hour on the phone with my local (125 miles) Airstream dealer about the shock problem on my 77 Argosy 26T. I cannot remove the shocks from the trailer. When you loosen the nut, it bottoms against the steel angle and you cannot use a prybar for extra room, there is none and the flange won't move. The dealer's tech svcs guy said that he was not familiar with the trailer but based on the photos I sent from my phone, he thought the only way to change the shocks was to drop the axles off the trailer, change the shocks and rehang them. I can't believe that Airstream/Argosy would design a trailer suspension like that. I am a decent mechanic, having rebuilt my first engine at 17. There has got to be a way to do this but I am still in shock (no pun intended) and am just not seeing it. PLEASE HELP!! I should have the photos available tomorrow for upload here.
bobbyg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It's been a while since I installed new axles on my '74 Argosy 26'. I believe you will have to drop the axle to get the shock off.
Are you dealing with the original or old axles? If so, they are probably frozen in place. Otherwise they would drop down far enough to get the shock off.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
AZArgosyGuy

TG - I'm pretty sure they are the original axles. When I bought it about 9 months ago, I lost a tire on the way home. The DOT codes for the tires were May 1979 so I doubt the axles have been changed. Are you kidding me that the axles have to be dropped to change shocks? That is just crazy. Any advice for me on this? Will I have to tow it to a shop? I have no covered space that large to work on it.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:12 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
This should help you out.
Airstream Shock replacement guide
Argosy Heir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:18 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg52 View Post
TG - I'm pretty sure they are the original axles. When I bought it about 9 months ago, I lost a tire on the way home. The DOT codes for the tires were May 1979 so I doubt the axles have been changed. Are you kidding me that the axles have to be dropped to change shocks? That is just crazy. Any advice for me on this? Will I have to tow it to a shop? I have no covered space that large to work on it.
The main point is that it's unlikely that changing the shocks but leaving the original axle is going to have much benefit. If the axles were working properly, lifting the trailer would allow the axles to move far enough to remove & replace a shock.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #6
AZArgosyGuy

Argosy Heir;

Have watched video twice and had the trailer tires off twice. I cannot even get the nuts off much less the shocks. The nuts do not unscrew off the threads before they hit the steel flange on the trailer frame. No pry bar will give me any room to get them off. Any ideas short of dropping the axles?
Old 10-30-2014, 10:22 PM   #7
AZArgosyGuy

DKB_SATX ;

I only lifted one tire at a time with a 3 ton bottle jack under the axle right next to the frame member. Is there a different way to lift the trailer? I don't have any info in the paperwork that I do have for it that identifies how to lift it properly. I could put blocks down and drive one axle up on 4 x 4s and then try to work the hanging axle. Would that work at all?
Old 10-31-2014, 05:11 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you don't want to replace the axles, but want to replace the shocks, remove the bolts holding the shocks to the frame. Then, using the shock as a lever, bend the mounting bracket enough so the nut and shock will come off.
If you are going to remove the axles to change the shocks, you might as well replace the axles.
As for the date codes, they were not even thought of until the 1990s, so the date code, if that is what it is, is from 1999, not 1979.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You should not use the axle tube to raise the trailer. The easiest and safest is to use ramps. Then work on one axle at a time.
IMHO You are wasting time and money installing shocks on the original axle(s).
There should be a metal name plate on the axle tube. It will give the date of manufacture. If the axles are original. They should be replaced. With new shocks.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
DKB_SATX ;

I only lifted one tire at a time with a 3 ton bottle jack under the axle right next to the frame member. Is there a different way to lift the trailer? I don't have any info in the paperwork that I do have for it that identifies how to lift it properly. I could put blocks down and drive one axle up on 4 x 4s and then try to work the hanging axle. Would that work at all?
NEVER, EVER, lift the trailer on any part of the axle.

You can, with a tandem, pull one wheel up on a couple of 2 x 6's. That will make the other wheel hang in the air. That's much easier than using a jack.

But, if you want to lift one side of the trailer, lets say to do a brake job, put the jack between the tire, on the axle mounting plate.

However, keep in mind that torsion axles only last about 25 years, and then must be replaced, unless the trailer will never move again. The rubber rods in the is what goes bad in time.

Since you have a 77, your axles are 37 years old. It very unlikely that the rubber rods are still serviceable. Also, if the trailer was parked and not moved for a couple of years or so, then the rubbers rods will also go bad. Rubber must be exercised to stay alive.

Ordering new axles, will allowing you to upgrade the weight rating, the kind of brakes and the starting angle, depending on you source.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:32 PM   #11
AZArgosyGuy

TG;

Thx for the info. I will generate some ramps and see if I can get the shocks off. At the present time, new axles are not an option. I would have to take it to a dealer (closest is 125 miles) and place myself at their mercy. Don't really trust any of the shops in the local area as they have no experience with these. Had to take it to Tucson Camping World just to get the new AC unit installed. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens and I'll get pictures set up as well.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
TG;

Thx for the info. I will generate some ramps and see if I can get the shocks off. At the present time, new axles are not an option. I would have to take it to a dealer (closest is 125 miles) and place myself at their mercy. Don't really trust any of the shops in the local area as they have no experience with these. Had to take it to Tucson Camping World just to get the new AC unit installed. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens and I'll get pictures set up as well.
There is no need to drop the axles to change the shocks.

Simply bend the brackets enough to allow removal. Dealers do that all the time.

You can also leave the brackets bent since the rubber grommets in the shocks compensate for that small bend.

Andy
Old 10-31-2014, 02:31 PM   #13
AZArgosyGuy

Andy;

Thx. Got the shocks from you guys but I can't figure how to bend that bracket. It looks to be 1/4" steel and close to the axle. I have some pictures that I will download and try to post. I will go out and try to follow your suggestion. I need to make some ramps as I tried it with a bottle jack under the axle tube. I have no documentation on the trailer that tells me where the jack points are. It identifies some decals under the trailer but they are long gone. Appreciate your help.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:49 PM   #14
AZArgosyGuy

Andy;

Took a 30" pipe wrench and 3 foot cheater but your directions worked great. All changed out. Interesting that the shocks I took off came with split bushings. I cut the ones in the new ones like the video showed but the ones that were on it were manufactured like that. Used 4 x 4s and drove the trailer up on them to change the shocks. Rear is done, will finish the fronts tomorrow.

Thx a lot.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy;

Took a 30" pipe wrench and 3 foot cheater but your directions worked great. All changed out. Interesting that the shocks I took off came with split bushings. I cut the ones in the new ones like the video showed but the ones that were on it were manufactured like that. Used 4 x 4s and drove the trailer up on them to change the shocks. Rear is done, will finish the fronts tomorrow.

Thx a lot.
Your very welcome.

Just a little extra help with the elbow grease, makes bending the shock brackets an easy task.

The original shocks made by GM (delco) had split rubber bushings.

Gabrial shocks have always had single piece rubber bushings.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, as it make no difference.

Andy