Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
North Port , Florida
Unhappy '76 Argosy Furnace Needed

My 76 20 foot Argosy has a rust crack in the furnace baffle - that things that looks like a steam-heat radiator. I am a fiddle player in SW Florida and don't need the furnace too much, but I assume this is a noxious fumes AND fire hazard.

What are my alternatives for heat?

Can I find a replacement furnace - new or used? (I will have to do it myself, as fiddlers have yet to be paid enough money to support vintage RV habits, at least around here - I also have this fiddle habit.......and they require new strings, bows to constantly rehair, etc.)

I'd like to have a heat source that is NOT forced air, but then I guess I'd have to be plugged in to electric - right?
Can I weld or solder the crack? It looks like a rust crack, like it's from rustiness and age.

I am rarely on this forum, so email me, please, at vxn@comcast.net. All replies appreciated.
Thanks,
Elisa
Elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Elisa. One can go in their User CP (control panel) at the upper left and edit options to receive Thread Subscription emails when somebody has replied.

You will see much about mid-1970s Suburban furnaces if you use the search function on carbon monoxide recall. I suspect you are looking at new. You would need a pretty good set of skills to install it yourself. I would think many would have an RV Tech do the installation. The furnace sizes have been modular through the decades and not changed, though vent, electrical & LP line connections have changed position in all likelihood. You can try to get an idea online at campingworld.com, but you'll have to decide how & who does the replacement.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can get a catalytic heater for your coach. No electricity needed,, no fan, just heat.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
Certifiable

. , .
Yes, what Terry said above. Get rid of the furnace and enjoy all the new storage space and lighter Argosy.

P.S. Are you taking the fiddle to Winterhawk this year?
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:13 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
North Port , Florida
Thanks to all of you! I will check out catalytic heaters. Hope it's not something with risk of fumes? I am scared to sleep with any heater on. Winterhawk? What's that? I am happily ensonced in SW Florida - don't want nuttin' with the word "winter" in it!
Elisa
Elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:32 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisa
Thanks to all of you! I will check out catalytic heaters. Hope it's not something with risk of fumes? I am scared to sleep with any heater on. Elisa
No real risk of fumes. I have heated a 5 bedroom house with a pair of them, with no problems. It would probably fit best at the end of your counter by the door, where the fridge is.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:59 AM   #7
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Like this

this is a 8100 Olympian or you could read the thread. heaters, heaters, heaters. While playing Foggy Mt breakdown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86 Excella 093.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	31931  

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There is a lot of information on the Suburbans if you do a search, and how install and where to get a good deal on replacement. People have used the Suburban NT 30 as a replacement which requires a little bit of adaption.

I have found it impossible to get any work done on mine because of liability/ insurance policies.

There are other less common alternatives. The catalytic heaters seem to work good but require an open window so you don't croak yourself on CO2. There is also hydronic (hot water) and even a propane marine fireplace heater. See the archives.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote