Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
'75 Argosy 24'

My wife and I found a 1975 Argossy 24ft in Jacksonville Texas for $3000.00. Cash deal, hooked em up and pulled it home. It has been an experience for me. Most all the systems are in place. The young men who
had it before us didn't really repair anything. Seems they configured "work-arounds" to get by. Among the first of things to be addressed was the leaks. I went here and there asking what type of caulk would be best.
After getting several answers, I went looking locally for the meanest stuff I could find. I decided on Dap Gutter Caulk with Butyl Rubber in the color white. A "Case" of caulk later....and a couple of vent caps....the leaks - no more. The flooring wasn't beyond reinforcing.....fiberglass bondo with light tin backer material handled the task quite well. The potty got replaced with an Aqau Magic V. The valve set in the bathroom sink got replaced... along with the P-trap...went back with Sched40. The hot water heater got replaced with a 6gal unit from Lowes....wedged in and strapped down tight. The shower drain hole was reinforced with some white plasic JB weld stuff from the local automotive store from beneath and above....solid as a rock now. New shower drain line also. The black water shutoff valve needed a scrubbing....of note...the whisper thin gasket was taken out and I used Blue gasket maker. The carpet was pulled out and I installed a laminate floor.....corners are tough....trimming I am not real good at and it isn't worth bragging about. New Carlisle tires, 10 ply, balanced indeed. Repacked the wheel bearings and put in all news seals. The new "Shocks"....$$$$OUCH...but I bought them. They were(are) DELCO....not what I was told. The exterior lights all had to be cleaned between the skin and the lamp fixture.....some had never been cleaned. The wiring for the lights "Stop, Turn, Running, Backup" were all connected wrong....I disconnected them and now have them working as they should. Now this one....the strainer on the fresh water pump leaked....so I took it out and connect an inline fuel filter....it'll strain stuff ahead of the pump. I last mounted a rotating flat screen tv mount, bought at Wal-Mart, such that it can be rotated and viewed from any point inside. We have invested about $1500.00 in parts so far. The total is approaching $5K fast. The long awning is gone....some of the mounting brackets are there. I am considering buying an awning...but WOW...new ZipDee $$$$. Would really like to find an old awning and buy a new canvas. Anyone know where I could locate an old set of ZipDEE hardware??? Parting thought...I don't have the money to be a perfectionist....My wife loves this Argosy and I am trying to do the best I can with my hands and the money available.

If you can help with used ZipDee hardware....Thanks
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Ken. Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you've been approaching this in a systematic fashion. Glad to hear your story. Good luck on the awning search.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethowens View Post
My wife and I found a 1975 Argossy 24ft in Jacksonville Texas for $3000.00. Cash deal, hooked em up and pulled it home. It has been an experience for me. Most all the systems are in place. The young men who
had it before us didn't really repair anything. Seems they configured "work-arounds" to get by. Among the first of things to be addressed was the leaks. I went here and there asking what type of caulk would be best.
After getting several answers, I went looking locally for the meanest stuff I could find. I decided on Dap Gutter Caulk with Butyl Rubber in the color white. A "Case" of caulk later....and a couple of vent caps....the leaks - no more. The flooring wasn't beyond reinforcing.....fiberglass bondo with light tin backer material handled the task quite well. The potty got replaced with an Aqau Magic V. The valve set in the bathroom sink got replaced... along with the P-trap...went back with Sched40. The hot water heater got replaced with a 6gal unit from Lowes....wedged in and strapped down tight. The shower drain hole was reinforced with some white plasic JB weld stuff from the local automotive store from beneath and above....solid as a rock now. New shower drain line also. The black water shutoff valve needed a scrubbing....of note...the whisper thin gasket was taken out and I used Blue gasket maker. The carpet was pulled out and I installed a laminate floor.....corners are tough....trimming I am not real good at and it isn't worth bragging about. New Carlisle tires, 10 ply, balanced indeed. Repacked the wheel bearings and put in all news seals. The new "Shocks"....$$$$OUCH...but I bought them. They were(are) DELCO....not what I was told. The exterior lights all had to be cleaned between the skin and the lamp fixture.....some had never been cleaned. The wiring for the lights "Stop, Turn, Running, Backup" were all connected wrong....I disconnected them and now have them working as they should. Now this one....the strainer on the fresh water pump leaked....so I took it out and connect an inline fuel filter....it'll strain stuff ahead of the pump. I last mounted a rotating flat screen tv mount, bought at Wal-Mart, such that it can be rotated and viewed from any point inside. We have invested about $1500.00 in parts so far. The total is approaching $5K fast. The long awning is gone....some of the mounting brackets are there. I am considering buying an awning...but WOW...new ZipDee $$$$. Would really like to find an old awning and buy a new canvas. Anyone know where I could locate an old set of ZipDEE hardware??? Parting thought...I don't have the money to be a perfectionist....My wife loves this Argosy and I am trying to do the best I can with my hands and the money available.

If you can help with used ZipDee hardware....Thanks
Your 10 ply tires will split open every wheel. Once a wheel has been in service for an extended period of time, such as with 6 ply tires, then increasing the rating to even 8 ply, will cause the wheels to split, let alone 10 ply. This is as per every wheel manufacturer.

Delco has not made Airstream shocks for many years.

The correct "horizontal shock" is made by Gabriel, and has been, for probably 10 years or more.

The shocks must be "horizontal" as vertical shocks will not work.

Airstream dealers are the only source for those special shocks.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
tires??

Wow....the 10ply warning is strong....split the wheels...what would cause such splitting? The added pressure? The sidewall thickness?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Shocks...

The shocks were stated as being mfg by Delco in the manual I ordered from Airstream
Old 04-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Wow....the 10ply warning is strong....split the wheels...what would cause such splitting? The added pressure? The sidewall thickness?
Yes and yes.

Additional stresses on old wheels caused by tougher tires, will cause the original wheels to split.

We had a customer that said "NONSENCE."

He replaced his 6 ply ties with 10 ply tires, and then headed for Phoenix.

He did let us know, however bashfully, that before he reached Arizona, he was forced to replace 3 of his wheels.

Andy
Old 04-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
The shocks were stated as being mfg by Delco in the manual I ordered from Airstream
Those manuals are very old, and sometimes can be misleading.

Andy
Old 04-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
4_Black_things

Hmmmm.....I have > $300.00 in four black things
out there. These are 6 bolt wheels with oversized
hub holes - larger than the outer hub where the
smaller bearing is located.

The fellows who had this before me were running
P205/75R15's. They were bruised and already mis-shaped
...so I knew they had to go.

Man I hope you are wrong...I am running
70 lbs of air in the new tires.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hmmmm.....I have > $300.00 in four black things
out there. These are 6 bolt wheels with oversized
hub holes - larger than the outer hub where the
smaller bearing is located.

The fellows who had this before me were running
P205/75R15's. They were bruised and already mis-shaped
...so I knew they had to go.

Man I hope you are wrong...I am running
70 lbs of air in the new tires.
If you have aluminum wheels, I am wrong.

If you have steel wheels, then I guess all the wheel manufacturers are wrong. Hmm. Not very likely.

Andy
Old 04-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
A whole case of white DAP gutter caulk? Sounds like a lot!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Your 10 ply tires will split open every wheel. Once a wheel has been in service for an extended period of time, such as with 6 ply tires, then increasing the rating to even 8 ply, will cause the wheels to split, let alone 10 ply. This is as per every wheel manufacturer.
Andy, Is this phenomenon limited to steel trailer wheels only or does it apply to any steel wheel? Where does the wheel generally split? Does the lower ply tire weaken the wheel in some way?
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBolton View Post
Andy, Is this phenomenon limited to steel trailer wheels only or does it apply to any steel wheel? Where does the wheel generally split? Does the lower ply tire weaken the wheel in some way?
This applies to steel wheels only.

They split around the circumference.

As it's explained to us, when a steel whell is in service for a long period of time, within it's rating, everything is fine. But, when a new increased ply rating is used, the wheel will not accept that increase in duty, indefinitely, and will usually fail, typically in a short period of time.

I know as many people do, that there are exceptions.

But, when it comes to safety, exceptions don't apply.

Andy
Old 04-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Steel trailer wheels or any steel wheel? Car? Truck?
Old 04-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Steel trailer wheels or any steel wheel? Car? Truck?
Sorry, but I only steer my attention to Airstreams.

Keep in mind that wheels on a tandem or tri-axle trailer, receive huge amounts of punishment every time you make a big turn.

Andy
Old 04-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Kenneth, I am not trying to Hi-jack your thread. I know you are concerned now about your tires and that deserves more discussion - I think.

Andy,

I understand about the stresses on a trailer wheel in a turn. Should one assume that a rim - even if always used with the same ply tire will eventually weaken over time and need to be replaced. Or will they stay good indefinitely (in general) and only split (in general) when ply is increased?

Should I be concerned with the 40 year old wheels on my Argosy even though they look to be in fine shape?

It sounds like you are saying that the rims get use to the lower stresses and then in their complacency are not ready to accept the added stress of the higher ply tire and crack under the load. It seems to me that the rim would have to be on the way out anyway, compromised in some way or marginally bad already for the higher ply tire to break it.

Understand, I am not doubting that what you say is true. You have forgotten more about trailering and Airstreams than I will ever know. I'm just trying to understand what changes the rim is going through to cause this type failure.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Kenneth, I am not trying to Hi-jack your thread. I know you are concerned now about your tires and that deserves more discussion - I think.

Andy,

I understand about the stresses on a trailer wheel in a turn. Should one assume that a rim - even if always used with the same ply tire will eventually weaken over time and need to be replaced. Or will they stay good indefinitely (in general) and only split (in general) when ply is increased?

Should I be concerned with the 40 year old wheels on my Argosy even though they look to be in fine shape?

It sounds like you are saying that the rims get use to the lower stresses and then in their complacency are not ready to accept the added stress of the higher ply tire and crack under the load. It seems to me that the rim would have to be on the way out anyway, compromised in some way or marginally bad already for the higher ply tire to break it.

Understand, I am not doubting that what you say is true. You have forgotten more about trailering and Airstreams than I will ever know. I'm just trying to understand what changes the rim is going through to cause this type failure.
Maybe this makes more sense.

When you use a steel wheel within it's ratings, they last a long long time, unless they have some rust on them.

It's when you push it beyond what it has been use to for many years, with additional stresses, it simply lets go.

Sort of like us fellows do, when we reach that "senior" plateau.

If 30 or 40 year old wheels create doubts in your mind, for heavens sake, replace them.

For safety's sake, that's real cheap insurance.

We all replace things when they break. We seldom replace somethings, that should be replaced, when, enough is enough.

We don't wait for a tire to blow, when they have aged out or have enough miles. We replace them of course. That's a very good judgement call.

If safety is "EVER" a question, the answer is simple. DON'T.

Andy
Old 04-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Stone Mountain , Georgia
What about your toilet?

Quote:
My wife and I found a 1975 Argossy 24ft in Jacksonville Texas .. . The potty got replaced with an Aqau Magic V.
AND
I last mounted a rotating flat screen tv mount, bought at Wal-Mart, such that it can be rotated and viewed from any point inside.
Based on your post, I'm not sure WHEN you bought this or if you still have some things, but I am looking for a short, original toilet (that works of course) to fit in my '78 Argosy 22' so that the little cabinet opens above it. Do you still have your toilet and want to get rid of it?
We currently have an AquaMagic V and it is too tall and my feet dangle!

Also, where did you put the TV mount and what kind of TV are you buying?

Beth

Towed by 2016 Ford F-150
Tin Can Tourist
TAC #GA-27
AIR #34930
KAYAKAMPERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:22 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
TV mount....I mounted the tv swivel on the street side, to the
rear side of the partition between the kitchen and the twin bed area.
It seemed good to add a 1"X2" brace horiz from side to side
so that there would not be any "twisting" of the wall material
or framing. This location allows the tv to be viewed from nearly
any point in the coach. Cabling on the streetside also seemed
to be the way to go. Type of tv.....start with this first....the tv
will be dismounted when on the road.....15-19" dia flatscreen
your choice :-)
Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
zipdee parts

If you are ever up around Joplin, Missouri, there is an RV salvage place just off I-44 at exit 22. It is called Colaw's, and they usually have several salvage Airstreams. Most of these trailers have been damaged, so the chances of finding a perfectly intact awning in the size you need are small.

You may be able to piece together something using parts from different units, and they have a parts bin as well. Just be sure to allow a fair amount of time to look, take the measurements for your particular trailer, and have some tools handy. The folks there are nice, but they have a lot of inventory and you may have to do some removal work yourself.

Good luck.

Laird
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
I found a carefree awning....complete with everything for $500.
It came off a 1972 Airstream Sovereign 31 ft. I wish it was ZipDee...
but I am on a limited amt of money. The lower mounting brackets
needed added support.....the metal at the floor level at the rear of
the Argosy can get "Stingy"!