Old 05-25-2016, 11:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
'74 Argosy price check

I'm interested in this '74 Argosy for sale. It's 22' and looks to be in pretty good shape. I'm a newbie, so really what do I know? I'm going to see it in person and have my inspection sheet handy, but I wanted to have you guys look at it and share you thoughts. They're asking $21K. I've checked online and can't find anything comparable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 11.03.39 PM.png
Views:	386
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	263254   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	263255  

Name:	IMG_3667.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	263256   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3670.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	263257  

Name:	IMG_3669.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	263258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3672.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	263259  

Old 05-26-2016, 12:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I dunno. It looks nice on the outside, but that's a lot of money for an Argosy. If it were me, I'd be thinking in the mid-teens for it.

But, I don't know much about anything, so take take with a couple pounds of salt.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:37 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Newnan , Georgia
It looks real nice, but dang, $21k is a lot of money. Not sure what site you found the ad on, but I found that one listed on rvtrader, and the it didn't have a whole lot of a description. It's got new wood flooring, but didn't mention if the subfloor had been replaced or if it was in good shape. Also doesn't mention anything about the plumbing, has it been inspected and updated if needed. No mention of whether the axles have been replaced, so check them. For 21k, I wouldn't want to have to touch a single thing after I bought it, it would have to be in perfect condition.

I'd ask for some "during restoration" photos to try and get an idea on the subfloor and plumbing.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:55 AM   #4
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The first thing I see is a $100 dorm fridge in place of the $800 RV fridge that's supposed to be there, and a pair of scuzzy steel LP tanks, instead of a pair of aluminum ones I would expect for the asking price.
What is the new floor covering covering up?
Where is the fresh water tank? It's supposed to be sitting on the floor at the front of the trailer, and should be plainly visible under the dinette table.
The $1200 rock guards look nice, but where are the curtains? Special-made curtains for Airstreams are expensive.
Where is the awning?
What condition are the tambors over the dinette? Are thee even there?
Why does the inside of the main door look like it's painted dark brown?
Old 05-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

21K seems about fair

It looks like a great restoration. The curtains, and propane tanks are an easy fix.

The seller probably paid 4 to 6 K. Then spent lots of time or lots of money.

Ask someone who has done a restoration, not someone who likes to get something for nothing.

Although something seems fishy about the post. ( like the poster might be the seller or something )
Old 05-26-2016, 11:29 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
I don't know the Argosy market but I agree with the other posters - I would be looking for an authentic restoration for that kind of money. This looks functionally useable but I'd personally kind of do the "house hunters" thing of finding at least 2 other trailers and compare them. I know first hand how easy it is to get lathered up about a deal and wanting to move fast but remember this - there are lots of really good (and really bad) trailers out there and this is not the only one.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickinson View Post
I don't know the Argosy market but I agree with the other posters - I would be looking for an authentic restoration for that kind of money. This looks functionally useable but I'd personally kind of do the "house hunters" thing of finding at least 2 other trailers and compare them. I know first hand how easy it is to get lathered up about a deal and wanting to move fast but remember this - there are lots of really good (and really bad) trailers out there and this is not the only one.
And I agree with this gentleman….However

There are some people that don't want to be handy for a year or so. They want a nice trailer and want to go camping. Not everyone cares about and all original vintage trailer. Not everyone wants a project. Not everyone has time for a project. Some people are brilliant at their job, but aren't jack of all trades.

My previous point was….unless you have done a restoration or have paid for a restoration….you may not be qualified to but a dollar amount on a restored RV.
( It is much cheaper to do all the work yourself…but time is money.)
Old 05-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
I sold my '74 22 footer last year for $8,000. It had new vinyl flooring over a solid floor. All original equipment with new gas valves throughout, new toilet innards, new upholstery, new AC, new paint on the outside, catalytic heater, LED TV, new front jack, all new interior LED lights, WD hitch, new water pump and new curtains. I repaired a few water line repairs.

It seems either I sold WAY too low or what you are looking is WAY too much.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdfred View Post
I sold my '74 22 footer last year for $8,000. It had new vinyl flooring over a solid floor. All original equipment with new gas valves throughout, new toilet innards, new upholstery, new AC, new paint on the outside, catalytic heater, LED TV, new front jack, all new interior LED lights, WD hitch, new water pump and new curtains. I repaired a few water line repairs.

It seems either I sold WAY too low or what you are looking is WAY too much.
How much did you pay for the trailer? How much money did you spend on the repairs and upgrades? How much time did you spend on it ? Also your 74 was due for a new fridge, water heater, and furnace. Perhaps a new charger? Did your interior look that clean ?

Yeah, people rarely get their money back on an RV. I have about $25K into mine. Strangers pull up to my house and offer me $10 K for it. Sorry if I am ranting. It bugs me when people low ball. ( I invision them bragging to their friends, " I stole it ".
Old 05-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
For $21,000 asking price it seems they would put some more tread material on the step and paint the rusty propane tanks.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Hollywood , California
I paid $3k for my unrestored 26' Argosy.
$22k seems very high. I think I can do my own work and put $5k into a restoration and have something this good or better.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I would be a little worried. Looks like a quick redo with a fresh coat of paint. Fresh paint inside and out can cover a lot of ugly.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleareye View Post
I paid $3k for my unrestored 26' Argosy.
$22k seems very high. I think I can do my own work and put $5k into a restoration and have something this good or better.
Price a fridge, water heater, furnace, toilet, paint, charger, flooring, pump, and whatever else. Then ask someone who has restored an Argosy, how many hours that they put in to it.

The interior skin might be original, but the rest was a gut, and all custom furniture.

Again, my point was, 21K might be worth it for someone who doesn't want to spend a year of their spare time working on a trailer.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
I would be a little worried. Looks like a quick redo with a fresh coat of paint. Fresh paint inside and out can cover a lot of ugly.
Quick redo????? It was gutted down to the skin. New furniture and flooring doesn't come in a paint can. It took me all day to sand and paint one exterior end cap.

Pretty much all appliances on any Argosy are ready to fail, unless they have already been replaced.

I gotta think that some of the posters here that think this was a quick fix up, have never restored an Argosy. Or they are just messing with me.