Old 05-26-2016, 02:57 PM   #15

1977 Argosy 22
Jacksonville , Oregon
About 5 years ago we paid 20k for a 1977 Argosy. It was in pristine condition. Included in the price were 2 solar panels, 2 six-volt golf cart batteries wired in series that replaced the original 12-volt. We still have the original stove and refrigerator—they both work fine. After purchase we replaced the water heater, furnace, redid the upholstery, and made a few other minor changes. A previous poster remarked that curtains for an airstream are expensive. They are correct. I also noticed in the picture that the fresh water tank was either missing or in a nonstandard location.

I can't really say if the one you are looking at is fairly priced, but this is a comparison.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:22 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
21k is high (I'm referring to the propane tanks). The interior looks great. Make sure the axles have been replaced and it was as complete restoral. The attention to detail makes me wonder because of the propane tanks.
As for the put 5k into a gutted one...well let's just say your just getting started! I have 5k into mine and I only paid $700 for a great gutted trailer! New floor, new tanks, ... And the list goes on. And I just started!

Old 05-26-2016, 04:20 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Everyone thanks for your responses. I went to inspect it this morning. The owner recently purchased it from the original owners who had the renovations performed and kept all the receipts. Using the inspector checklist, it's in really good condition. I agree that a the asking price was too high and I was able to negotiate to a more reasonable price and it is now home with me.

As one member referenced, as much as I love these vintage models at this time, I'm unable to provide the time or skill to perform my own restoration. I'm willing to spend a little more for a solid trailer that needs minor repairs than less money on a complete overhaul. Again, thanks everyone for all of your feedback. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions!
Old 05-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
pricey

Bad time of year as they ALL want top dollar and that one is over the top and looks like a cheap spray job. I had a big 74 10 years ago in phoenix and paid 2500. It was in org condition and nice shape. I looked at the Dallas crags list and there are a few decent AIRSTREAM'S but again asking top dollar. Do a search on all of crags to get a feel of averages country wide. "knowledge Is power"
Old 05-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Munising , Michigan
Sorry to hijack

Not trying to hijack this post, but came across this site while searching for info on a trailer I just purchased today. I figured that I would ask all of your opinions on what you think this might be worth. I paid less than 2K for it. I basically have no knowledge on airstream other than that they are very well built campers.
Most everything works, I believe the furnace just needs a thermo coupler and there is an issue with the water pump(it runs but doesn't pump water). Other than some door and window latches, it's in really good shape considering it's 42yo and has had minimal work done to it.
All of your time is appreciated. Thanks!

-Brad

Click image for larger version

Name:	argosy1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	263288

Name:	argosy2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	263289

Name:	argosy3.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	263290

Name:	argosy4.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	263291
Old 05-26-2016, 08:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Quick redo????? It was gutted down to the skin. New furniture and flooring doesn't come in a paint can. It took me all day to sand and paint one exterior end cap.

Pretty much all appliances on any Argosy are ready to fail, unless they have already been replaced.

I gotta think that some of the posters here that think this was a quick fix up, have never restored an Argosy. Or they are just messing with me.
You sound pretty invested in this Argosy. Are you the seller? When I see whitewash, laminate flooring and a bar fridge, I'm going to be skeptical of the amount of work actually done. Show me pictures of the restoration and I'll reconsider.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:01 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
The freshwater tank is under the sofa across from the stove.

There are curtains! Apparently the owner didn't think they were a big selling point. (She'd only had it a month and didn't realize what she had!)
Old 05-27-2016, 05:15 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 22
Dumas , Texas
AMEN! We have a 72 22ft. Argosy. We have more than $21,000 in it. That sounds like a good price to me.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:22 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 22
Dumas , Texas
Brad H - Looks familiar! It has the same color scheme that our 72 Argosy had before we did a little updating.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
You sound pretty invested in this Argosy. Are you the seller? When I see whitewash, laminate flooring and a bar fridge, I'm going to be skeptical of the amount of work actually done. Show me pictures of the restoration and I'll reconsider.
Nope, I'm not the seller, but I stand by all of my comments. And I was right about the original poster. He wanted a nice camper, NOW, and didn't want to spend years on a " project " He did get a better price. I do hope the seller didn't take too much of a beating.

White wash ??? Don't think so. Bar ( dorm ) fridge? No, not for everyone, or purists.

My point was, and is….For a buyer to get a steal…a seller needs to get robbed. How much do you have into yours? What would you sell it for? Got pictures?
Old 05-28-2016, 02:58 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1971 27' Overlander
1973 31' Sovereign
Griffin , Georgia
I've restored a number of Airstreams, including a '78 Argosy Minuet 6.7 (22') we finished last fall.
How much a restoration costs depends on what you do... From complete gut job... all new everything... To little or nothing.. I.E. Lipstick on a Pig.
My "Opal" (Argosy) is the cutest little Airstream you'll ever see, very unique with quality renovations and custom work. Plus I started with her spending 6 weeks at a commercial body shop, being sanded, primed and painter with top quality auto paint by professionals.
I bought the Airstream for $5000. And spent an additional $20,000.++ on new parts and labor. It took a crew, working M-F, 5 months to totally finish her..
I do have a LOT of photos of the restoration , so ask to see them. Then do the math. $30.000. would be a steel on mine.
If you have any questions, feel free to message me.
You could end up with a "one of a kind" top quality camper.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:28 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denda View Post
Brad H - Looks familiar! It has the same color scheme that our 72 Argosy had before we did a little updating.
Mine is a '74 and she's from Arkansas. You have good taste! They did a good job.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:47 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
To clarify a few things:
1) I'm a "she" 😉
2) The seller and I settled on a fair price. Yes, the pictures look lovely, but there's a lot that they don't show, such as missing cabinet handles, missing keys, worn window gaskets, damaged vent covers, ect. Based on these factors alone, it was not worth asking price comparative to what was available in my market.

3) I also explained to her that there were currently older Airstreams in comparable size and condition in the area for less money and they are considered to have a higher resale value.

Based on those points, or maybe my keen negotiation skills, she took my offer of $18,500. BTW, she's the second owner. She's only had it a month from the original owners in Arkansas who performed the renovations. The renovations are nice, but upon close inspection, it's obvious that they fall somewhere between "lipstick on a pig" and high dollar custom renovation. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase and can handle these little projects on my own.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:22 AM   #28
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlnRN View Post
The renovations are nice, but upon close inspection, it's obvious that they fall somewhere between "lipstick on a pig" and high dollar custom renovation. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase and can handle these little projects on my own.
Most renovations are of the middle-of-the-road type. The renovator usually starts with good intentions, then as things move along, and get more expensive, they are forced to lower the bar as far as what they are doing in order to complete the job for less than the cost of a new Italian sports car. As long as the floor, frame, and body are in good shape, you can fix the rest to your liking.
You did get a significant discount from the asking price, and you can use those savings to help finish getting the trailer ready to go.