Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2011, 06:24 AM   #21
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I have a 73. There is indeed no grey tank.

There is also no manual specific to a 73 as far as I can tell. I've searched a lot. You have to use a 74 Argosy and a 73 Airstream manual and sort it out.

I have disassembled my black tank for what I thought was a valve leak that turned out to be a cracked tank. It's not as bad to take apart as you would think. Wear some good rubber gloves whenever possible. Pretty sure I posted photos on his site of me taking all that apart. If you want some more info let me know.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:31 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
I do have the owner's manual for mine (which a copy of is on it's way to VonLuck)...pub. 1972. It is somewhat generic but still helpful.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:15 AM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Question for those quoting tank sizes: where did you find the data for that? I've looked all over for it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #24
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofball View Post
I have a 73. There is indeed no grey tank.

There is also no manual specific to a 73 as far as I can tell. I've searched a lot. You have to use a 74 Argosy and a 73 Airstream manual and sort it out.

I have disassembled my black tank for what I thought was a valve leak that turned out to be a cracked tank. It's not as bad to take apart as you would think. Wear some good rubber gloves whenever possible. Pretty sure I posted photos on his site of me taking all that apart. If you want some more info let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmhays View Post
I do have the owner's manual for mine (which a copy of is on it's way to VonLuck)...pub. 1972. It is somewhat generic but still helpful.
You are correct about the manual. I typed wrong. I read 73 in the original post but thought 72 since that's what I have. It's 72 Argy's that have no manual and I use a combination of my 73 Argy manual and a 72 Airstream manual to get me info.

thanks!

I re-read the rest of my post and I think I'm ok, now. Take on the black tank valve. it's not that bad to do.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:26 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Question for those quoting tank sizes: where did you find the data for that? I've looked all over for it.

Thanks in advance.

I found the tank sizes in my manual...
Old 06-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #26
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmhays View Post
I found the tank sizes in my manual...

Thanks, guess I'll just look again.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
I also did a physical measurement of both my fresh and black tanks and they appeared to be accurate. My manual describes the sizes in the text where it talks about the specific systems and again in the back section under "specifications".
Old 06-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Aage, your Sovereign has 45 gallon fresh, 25 gallon black, and 10 gallon grey tanks. Those numbers are in the owner's manual.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #29
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Aage, your Sovereign has 45 gallon fresh, 25 gallon black, and 10 gallon grey tanks. Those numbers are in the owner's manual.
::whew:: Thanks, Terry! I was hoping that I didn't have a 15 gallon black tank, that seemed really small!

I did know the grey tank was just a gesture. 10 gallons? Ha, ha, ha. The way we use water, that's just a joke.

Do you know when they went to a larger grey tank, Terry?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #30
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

Do you know when they went to a larger grey tank, Terry?
1977 sticks in my head. I think it went to 25 gallons.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #31
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
So, do you know if the frame changed to make room for a larger tank, or did they just jiggle the larger tank into the same space?

Or, in other words, do you think there would be much to do to put the 25 gallon tank into my trailer?
Old 07-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Burbank , California
Ok so it appears I am going to have to fix my tank instead of the valve. It's definatly leaking. Where can I get a replacement or has anyone up graded the tank??
VonLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I doubt you will find a tank ready made that will fit your trailer. Welding plastic on these tanks is not a good idea either. You can get a tank built to fit the space you have. Take out the old tank and measure it carefully, especially for fitting the toilet in properly. Do a dimensioned drawing so you have something to send to the tank manufacturer. One tank supplier is
Tanks.

You will likely have to take the toilet perch apart as the tank comes out from the top. Take out the valve from the bottom, take the toilet out, take the perch apart, and the tank should lift out. You have to cut the drain pipe to get the valve out so keep the pieces and take photos of what it looked like before you took it apart. You will rebuild the drain system after the tank is replaced and the pieces and photos give you an idea of what to do as you rebuild. Get a new valve to put into that new tank.

I'll repeat: measure carefully. The tank manufacturers build what you request and, if it is not right because you sent them the wrong information, you will wind up buying two tanks.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #34
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I got a quote for an exact replacement (or at least what was said to be). I cannot for the life of me find it right now. I'm sure that I got the info from this thread though.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...air-56157.html

I should have bought it as soon as I got the quote but life gets in the way.