Old 04-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Madison , Wisconsin
'73 Argosy 22-footer

Greetings,

Have been out of the loop for two years and now need some advice.

I'm considering the purchase of the above and besides the obvious, is there any problems specific to this model?

I've been looking for over a year and would've preferred a 20 footer. Not really thrilled with a double axle (double expense), but this is a pretty nice trailer.

Original interior and the tires are new. Axles are original as well.

In average condition, what kind of price would be negotiable?

Thanks, Karen

Old 04-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #2

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Fort Worth , Texas
"average condition" is a very relative term. It usually represents much better condition in the mind of a buyer than of a seller.

One thing to be aware of on a '73 is that unless someone has added it, you'll get no gray tank. That means schlepping around a blueboy unless you are in a full-hookup site, or adding a gray tank.

You can assume that the original axles are ready to be replaced. That's not a terrible thing since you can easily get the new ones with all new bearings and brakes already installed, but it ain't free.

If there's nothing wrong with the "original interior" or the plumbing, and the refrigerator works, and the body is straight, and the tires are of decent quality (you already specified that they're new) and all the glass is original and in good condition but it's cosmetically just average, total off-the-cuff number would be around $4000 (maybe $4500 with a working AC unit...you're in WI, it may not have one at all.) This assumes no unusual problems with the floor... it's likely to have a weak spot or two but at that price I'd expect it to be able to travel for a few years before needing any subfloor work.

There's a whole list of things that could drive the price up or down from there. I see all sorts of gutted shells on the market for $4k, so sellers have different ideas than buyers.

Possible pluses:
- New battery
- modern converter/charger
- PEX plumbing (properly done)
- new fixtures
- window covers for the unobtainium pano windows
- evidence of regular use and maintenance

Possible negatives:
- very soft floors, visible rot at perimeter of subfloor
- original plumbing
- signs of hard use/damage to plastic bathroom fittings
- significant shell damage
- signs of hitches, baskets, racks etc. attached at back bumper
- poor/no safety chains, breakaway switch, etc.
- poor condition of the plastic taillight housing (big chunks missing, etc. that would make it hard to repair.)

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Madison , Wisconsin
Hey DKB_SATX,

Thanks for taking the time to reply with a very nice list. I have some photos in an e-mail I would like to share. Are you game?

Karen
Old 04-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #4

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Fort Worth , Texas
Sure, I sent you a PM.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 22
Stephenville , Texas
We just bought a 72' 22 footer for $5500. It is a little above what you guys have been discussing, but it has brand new carpet and tile, A/C and battery less than 2 years old, and complete going over by the local dealership at the time of that install. What I really paid for, though, were the intangibles -- I live in a rural area in central Texas and there aren't a lot of these available without traveling, which brings up it's own issues and expenses (not to mention the Austin "hipster" prices!) Also, I bought mine from my cousin (I got the price third party so he would give me the real price and not the family price!), so I have the peace of mind of knowing where it has been and that maintenance and historical questions can be answered with a quick phone call.

And I wouldn't take twice what I paid for her
Old 05-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Madison , Wisconsin
Sounds super!