Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #21
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Skip, it looks to me like that dump arrangement is exactly like mine. The black pipe that extends to the bumper is not stock; the "T" (aka "collector") is supposed to be the end of the line. it just sticks out below the belly pan by an inch or so...just enough for the slinky to connect to those bayonet lugs. Yeah, its a pita to reach under there to connect it.
I'm surprised that the "modification" got hit by bottoming out, though. If you look at how slightly newer models were configured, their pipes exist in the same exact spot. (in terms of "height above ground") They have the same 5" main frame rails, but in the tank area, there is a 3" extension to accommodate the plumbing, which runs through the bumper area. (a 3" deeper bumper area). Maybe the existence of the extra framework, even though its only at the outer edges, helps protect (?). 30 year old saggy axles probably don't help at all....
But if you look at new trailers (Lots of brands; not just airstream), they very commonly have a whole bunch of dump valves hanging down SO low to the ground back there, it boggles the mind...mostly just hangin' out there, totally un-shielded, mere inches above ground. looks to me like a minor pot-hole could take out the whole system. {shrug}
Take a look at Andre's website. He has some pics of when he re-did the rear floor of his 75, which had a similarly configured bathroom to mine. (toilet and vanity sitting on a box, which houses the black tank). AFAIK, pretty much the whole bathroom has to come out to get at the tank.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofball View Post
So if I bring the Argy to the Bash she could take care of that for me while you and I consume some beverages?
Works for me! As for Liz... You'll have to take that up with her...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #23
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Chuck, this is the first time I've had that part explained to me that well. Thank you. That's a hell of a reach to get the slinky up to that, even for my long arms. hmmm ... might consider putting it back to stock.

I've also got a near complete thought of replacing the valve and instead of a collector put an elbow pointed street side. I could then add a clean out slightly down stream to allow for the gray water into that line. Then have the pipe continue through the banana wrap and out. Yes, I think the entire thing will fit above the belly pan.

It hit on my driveway a few times. Very steep with a pot hole perfectly positioned.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Our solution to the leaking black tank...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 05-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #25
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
I've also got a near complete thought of replacing the valve and instead of a collector put an elbow pointed street side. I could then add a clean out slightly down stream to allow for the gray water into that line. Then have the pipe continue through the banana wrap and out. Yes, I think the entire thing will fit above the belly pan.
yeah, but....if it stays within the belly pan, you ain't gettin' through to the banana wrap without cutting a big chunk out of the frame. like...way too big of a chunk. Unless I'm missing something.
I thought of trying to arrange something similar to what you had, except w/ the pipe coming across to the rear corner...but it would have to be below the pan, in order to clear the frame. And then, it would still be pretty awkward to reach, unless it stuck out beyond the frame by about a foot. I suspect this is why the mid-70's models had them running aft into the bumper area, then 90-degrees and out the side. You can reach that spot easily, yet its all very well protected inside the framework.

My bathroom looks like Bob's, except switch the position of the shower and closet. I was thinking of removing the tank altogether like this, and installing a floor mounted toilet, and going w/ a sub-floor tank...dump plumbing to imitate the mid-70's scenario described above. all very much "wishful thinking" at this point, of course.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #26
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
... the mid-70's models had them running aft into the bumper area, then 90-degrees and out the side. You can reach that spot easily, yet its all very well protected inside the framework.
That's how my '77 is set up Skip....
Old 05-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #27
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
and this is mine:

Is there supposed to be a panel in front of the piping. The piping was redone by the previous owner.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #28
Certifiable

. , .
There is on mine.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Wow Bob, that's a pretty bathroom. I'd love to see your trailer at the Bash.

Colin Hyde uses the porta-potty method as well, if I remember right. We had one for using with the T@B (which we hauled for 5 weeks and 8000 miles and never, ever used). I hold on to it, just in case we're motivated to "simplify" the Minuet at some point...

Or, I could sell it to Skip - I'll even deliver it...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #30
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Hmmmm .... I need to understand more how those work. of to do some quick reading .....
Old 05-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #31
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
this is where mine differs. no pipes there, as the shower is on the right...(there is a panel along the edge of the shower pan, though). The tank cover is one solid molded plastic piece.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #32
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I like this one.

Amazon.com: Sanitation Equipment Visa 268 Deluxe Portable Toilet: Sports & Outdoors

I'll ask Tim if he wants a tank or not. This could be an inexpensive (possibly temporary) solution.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #33
Certifiable

. , .
This just in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
That's how my '77 is set up Skip....
That is how my '77 used to be set up. I've just been informed that it is now set up similar to what you have Skip.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #34
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
That is how my '77 used to be set up. I've just been informed that it is now set up similar to what you have Skip.
I guess I'll see it this weekend. I might drag the argy down with me so I can walk back and forth.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #35
Certifiable

. , .
Make sure your camera battery is fully charged.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #36
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Will do! Might bring Tim with me so he can check it all out too (if that's ok). After all it is kinda sorta his

maybe

or something

It's a good thing I love him so much.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:44 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Wow Bob, that's a pretty bathroom. I'd love to see your trailer at the Bash.

Colin Hyde uses the porta-potty method as well, if I remember right. We had one for using with the T@B (which we hauled for 5 weeks and 8000 miles and never, ever used). I hold on to it, just in case we're motivated to "simplify" the Minuet at some point...

Or, I could sell it to Skip - I'll even deliver it...

Tom
Thanks, it'll be there and you're welcome to come on by. I took all of the molded parts to a marine shop where they gel-coated everything white. They were pretty ugly when we pulled the trailer home from Bat Cave, NC. It cost a few bucks to have it done, but it was worth it.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 05-26-2010, 05:12 AM   #38
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
(if that's ok).
okie dokie, pokie!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Oxford , Connecticut
Skip,
I have the same bathroom setup too, and I just removed that front panel that you're missing. I know it's just a rectangle but you're welcome to use it as a template to make a new one if you'd like. There's also one that covers the side of the tub.
Duff23 is offline   Reply With Quote