Old 02-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Eugene , Oregon
Could it be that the window only comes with a dinette interior?
Bruce

Old 02-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Congratulations - that baby is sweet. Good luck on getting her home.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Eugene , Oregon
Owners Manual

This is the original owners manual that came with the coach:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9379.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	577.7 KB
ID:	179847  
Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Irrigon , Oregon
Nice trailer, looks like you done good.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Eugene , Oregon
Thanks so much for all the kind remarks. Now here is my dilemma, the trailer is about 60 to 80 miles from the nearest town and 350 miles from
home. It is up in the snow and sitting in a field. It was last used around a year ago. The tires are 5 years old with no apparent checking. What is the minimum I should prepare for to get this gem home? I was thinking of bringing a weight distribution hitch, tons of tools, a jack, spare light bulbs...etc. If I could get it to town I could then have a tire place inspect bearings, tires and brakes. Any suggestion on how to prepare for the worst and get my trailer home in one piece?
thanks
Bruce and Ronda
Old 02-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
7.3m Minuet

Greetings Bruce and Ronda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebling View Post
Thanks so much for all the kind remarks. Now here is my dilemma, the trailer is about 60 to 80 miles from the nearest town and 350 miles from
home. It is up in the snow and sitting in a field. It was last used around a year ago. The tires are 5 years old with no apparent checking. What is the minimum I should prepare for to get this gem home? I was thinking of bringing a weight distribution hitch, tons of tools, a jack, spare light bulbs...etc. If I could get it to town I could then have a tire place inspect bearings, tires and brakes. Any suggestion on how to prepare for the worst and get my trailer home in one piece?
thanks
Bruce and Ronda
Your planning is good, and should help you be prepared for the trip home. A couple of years ago, I wrote an article for this site's sister site Airstream Central that covers what I have found helpful in terms of preparation . . . you can find the article at this link.

You have something around a 50% likelihood that you will find the Minuet's trailer connector (Bargman Plug) wired in a pattern that is not compatible with your tow vehicle. My suggestion would be to include a trailer end that matches your tow vehicle in your preparation kit as many of the Vintage Airstreams that I have encountered needed to have their plugs rewired to match the current industry standard. I am including a copy of the wiring schematic as used in 1979 . . . you will also notice that the color/function relationship is not the same as in the current industry standard.

I agree with you that the tires and bearings would be something of a concern for a 350 mile tow. You do have the lower ambient temperatures of this season in your favor. If you are not able to get the bearings serviced/re-packed, stopping every 50 to 75 miles and checking for hub/wheel that is hotter than the rest should catch a bearing that is failing as well as provide the opportunity to observe the tires for changes in the sidewalls/tread.

You may also need to be prepared to adjust the ball height on your hitch. Towing slightly out of level isn't a huge problem but significantly nose high or nose low causes weight distribution problems as well as can be a source of sway. I believe that the factory hitch height specification is 19", but factoring in the likely set that the DuraTorque axles have taken over the years, the height is likely between 16" and 18".

In addition to spare light bulbs for the trailer's exterior lights, I would also suggest carrying spares for any fuses/relays in your tow vehicle's towing circuits. There is often a relay/fuse that must be installed for the tow vehicle's factory installed charge line to be activated to the trailer connector at the rear bumper . . . sometime the part is included, but in some cases it must be purchased at a parts store. Another item that some tow vehicles need to have changed when first put into tow vehicle service is the turn signal flasher . . . a heavy duty turn signal flasher is needed for towing service on a number of tow vehicles. Given the distance that the Minuet is located from the nearest town, you might want to be prepared with temporary tow lights that you can utilize if the factory lights don't want to cooperate (I have been fortunate and haven't had to use my temporary lights with any of the retrieval trips that I have been through).

For dealing with potential tire situations, I would suggest four things for your preparation. First, I would suggest carrying a portable air compressor to air up the tires on the trailer to proper towing pressure. Second, I would suggest carrying a heavy-duty 4-way Tire Iron in the event that you need to remove a flat. Third, I would suggest a 4-ton or better bottle jack (makes jacking between axles easier). Fourth, I would suggest carrying a set of 2" X 8" boards consisting of 12", 16", 18", and 24" . . . 45-degree cuts on ends can improve their usefulness . . . these can take the place of a jack on a tandem axle trailer . . . on the side with a bad tire, pull-forward or back up onto the stack of boards with the good tire/wheel which will lift the coach to permit removal of the bad tire. It is permissible to tow an Airstream short distances at lowered speed (usually 45 MPH or less) on three wheels, and is one reason that you ocassionally find a tandem axle Airstream without a spare tire/wheel.

It sounds like you have a good plan for retrieval. Allow yourself as much extra time as you can as trying to rush can result in problems.

Good luck with your retrieval!

Kevin

P.S.: You may want to carry some bubble wrap, card board, and duct/gorilla tape to fashion temporary rock guards for the front wrap windows. The clear deep-wrap wing windows are no longer available new. All of the new deep-wrap wing windows are Solar Gray Tinted -- not to mention, expensive . . . about $750 each.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 7wayplug1966-81.pdf (9.0 KB, 20 views)
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Eugene , Oregon
Good advice

Thanks for all the advice! I will incorporate all of your ideas. Fortunately the trailer connector has the flat six pin connector that matches my Ford truck plug in, so that is good. Also the truck used to pull a fifth wheel so all the electrics are heavy duty. My truck is also electric brake equipped. So if I run down the road and I find a hot wheel I would think my only recourse would be to pull the wheel then add grease or look for a dragging brake shoe. Can you advise on the type of bulbs to bring?
I am so excited to get the trailer home and really see what damage there is.
Bruce and Ronda
Old 03-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Eugene , Oregon
A Happy Return Trip!

We left Eugene, OR last Friday early in the morning and arrived in Old Station CA around 12:30pm. The trailer was not moved from the field where it had sat for over a year. We got the trailer up to the driveway installed the WDH checked the tire pressure, connected the wiring and I was amazed that all lights worked and even the electric brakes! I had packed a whole truck full of floor jack, bottle jacks, temporary lights, tools, tools and mor tools to find out I did not need any of it.
We left Old Station after about an hour stopping frequently to test brakes and to feel for a warm rim indicating a bad bearing. Everything checked out good so we drove up to Mt. Shasta where we spent a cold night since I was not able to test any of the systems. The next day we drove the Argosy home with no issues. The trailor tracked well and was hardly noticed. All in all a great trip.

Now since it is home I need to see what I really have and get to work. Not really sure where to start, but I think evaluating the floor might be first on the list.
Bruce & Ronda Ebling