Old 08-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to campman
6.0 Metre Argosy bath sink

I need info about how to 1. remove the bath sink and 2. possibly get a new one. Previous owner put some sort of stuck-on vinyl (like some use in cupboards) all over it and I see no way to remove all of this material. Otherwise, the sink is in good shape. I do want to replace the faucet and it appears I have to remove the sink to do it properly. Any help, as always on this wonderful site, is more than welcome. Thanks, Dan
p.s. Spent the HOT summer Workamping at Big Bend Resorts in Terlingua, TX. Was invaded by super tiny and horribly stinging fire ants. Think they are nesting somewhere between belly pan and floor. When I get home I plan on drilling a few holes in the ply and getting an exterminator to spray some horrible stuff to get rid of them. I wonder if anyone else ever had a problem like this!!!! No normal ant poison nor baits work. Did find "Ant Kill"ENFORCER foam spray and it does act as a barrier, but the critters constantly send out their scouts, so it is "ever alert".

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
campman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
As for getting a new sink, forget it. You might think about using a bar sink and new top as a replacement. As for getting it off the stand, disconnect the drain and the faucet supplies (faucet supplies are usually nuts behind the sink and a PITA to get at). You might think of replacing some of the piping with PEX as you might find it easier to just cut the supply pipes rather than trying to unscrew the nuts.

Once the pipes are down, look for screws driven into a plywood piece that is under the sink. The sink is actually supposed to be glued to this plywood piece so when you get the screws out you can lift the sink off the base. (Both back and driver side of the sink had about 3 inches of material hanging down.) On my Minuet, there were two screws through the sink back (under the sink) into the back wall of the trailer. There were several pop rivets through the side wall into the side of the sink. I had to cut those off with a hacksaw blade slid between the sink and the wall when I couldn't drill them out because of space considerations. There were 3 screws securing the front of the wash stand to the plywood under the sink. Whew! Once you get these screws out, the sink should be loose. If not, look for more screws/pop rivets as your number may vary.

I wonder if you couldn't clean the vinyl off with Goof Off and patience. Don't use blades as ABS is soft plastic.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Oh yes, I forgot there was also a screw up through the side aluminum piece in the washstand and into the plywood. It was at the back, hard to find, almost impossible to see, and a real joy to try to remove.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
JACKSON , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to campman
Thanks a lot Argo!! I knew if anyone out there knew how to do something, it would be you. Yes, I will use PEX, as all the other has been already replaced wlth it. Yes, I figured that some sort of bar sink would work....and be a lot easier to clean. Your instructions couldn't be better. Thanks a million!! Dan

From Paul Theroux: ..the difference between a traveler and a tourist is.."travelers don't know where they're going, and tourists don't know where they've been"
campman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
About the ants.... You should be able to drill out the rivets on the belly pan, drop it and clean out or kill the beasties. This might be preferable to drilling through your floor.

Maybe you could get a pet armadillo - I understand they eat ants

From this site:
  • Ants are attracted - for some unknown reason - to electrical fields. The ant infests water pumps, computers, air conditioners, and other electrical devices.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:41 AM   #6

Annandale , Virginia
I'll be getting a new sink right now. I'm still thinking about it though.

Tags
bath sink, fire ants