Old 02-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Slidell , Louisiana
30' Twinkie

After many attempts to get hold of one we finally scored. A 1977 Argosy 30 with center bath and twin beds in the rear. I've found there is really very little information out there and when contacting Airstream for help, they started to spam my inbox instead with information of the latest models.

It is in fairly good shape for its age and I am sure that only two, of what I have gathered, owners since new is a part of that. It has spent most of its life in the Dallas region so the sun has taken its toll on all the plastic since it is cracked, but I am sure that close to 40 years it is something I am sure all of them suffer from despite location.

It took very little to get it fully functional. So far we had to buy a converter, valve for the toilet as it leaked everywhere, faucet for the kitchen sink, and a few space heaters (the heater fan does not sound healthy). The only thing that is really critical is the shower, as part of the "wall coating/paper" has shrunk in the TX heat and left us with a nonfunctional shower. Everything else works, however, we have one issue and that is we do not have any keys whatsoever, and this is where I thought contacting Airstream would be a great idea. Any vehicle manufacturer I have ever had contact with has had on record what key goes with what vehicle regardless of the age of the model and they would send new ones with submission of serial#. Evidently, with Airstream that was not the case, but they were happy to tell me where I could get new locks.... sigh... that was not my intention, so the hunt goes on. Any help with keys would be great.

Now to some minor issues. The 110V panel is not set up for today's living as we keep on popping the breaker. There is only one 20 amp and one 30 amp breaker and that is not enough. My plan was to temporarily run the fridge and water heater on a 20 amp breaker since I have one space available until I swap the panel out. Now my question, what is the most common standard on camping grounds: 110V 50 amp service or is there 220V 30 amp or greater available?

As it is for now we will be living in it for the next 6-8 months while our house is getting elevated to protect it from future floods, and after that the Twinkie will see some work.

To be continued...

Bjorn

Old 02-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Milford , New Hampshire
Welcome to the forum. There is no shortage of members with good advice on almost any issue.
I suspect that a "few" space heaters are tripping your breakers.
Older campground normally have 110V/30 amp service. Newer campgrounds and upgraded older sites also have 110V/50 amp available (sometimes at extra cost).

Old 02-07-2016, 06:48 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
Had the same problem with ours no keys. Removed the door handle assembly (3 screws) took to a lock smith. They cleaned, greased and made new keys for $20.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:33 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Newnan , Georgia
We had to get a spare key made for our 77. We used an ilco s1000v (co68)blank. Maybe that will help your locksmith a little.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:13 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Slidell , Louisiana
Thanks guys. I have been in touch with AS and I am very surprised they do not have any records of what keys went with their trailers, something I am used to in the auto industry. Fot instance, one can basically have keys made to any Volvo made after 1947 and they will fit as long as no locks have been changed. Key to lock the door is not a problem though, but the rest is what worries me. I just hate to have to break up locks and perhaps the doors just to replace the locks, and I like to keep the originality as far as I can as to what was delivered 1977. I'll see how I can go about it as it is not a panic yet.

A few other issues I have is the water overflow valve, or what it may be called, is leaking. I have a pressure limiter on my line to the camper but it still drips. Are those possibly repairable if it is unobtanium new? Another issue is that my sewer line cannot tie into the camper correctly as the fitting on the camper is slightly different than the bayonet fitting on the hose. Is the original, presuming it has not been modified, fitting different from today's standard? And if so, what are you guys using for your rig?

Thanks

Bjorn
Old 03-16-2016, 06:24 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Newnan , Georgia
You likely need to get a "thetford to valterra" adapter for your sewer connection.

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T05-2.../dp/B0006N5S6C
Old 03-16-2016, 11:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Your coach uses a 30 amp/120 volt power source. DO NOT connect it to a 240 volt power source.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Slidell , Louisiana
Fluxcap, thanks!!! That was just what I was looking for and that I couldn't find no matter how hard I tried, but I knew it had to be out there.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
1975 Argosy 22
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Camrose , Alberta
Quote:
A few other issues I have is the water overflow valve, or what it may be called, is leaking. I have a pressure limiter on my line to the camper but it still drips. Are those possibly repairable if it is unobtanium new?
Its a pressure relief valve. Very common in the plumbing world. Replace it as it is not worth repairing.

Quote:
Now my question, what is the most common standard on camping grounds: 110V 50 amp service or is there 220V 30 amp or greater available?
110v 30 amp is most common. 110v 50 amp is available at newer or updated campgrounds. 50 amp service should be two separate 110v feeds. 110v+110v=220v but it is not designed to be used that way.