Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
hinton , alberta
3 weeks on the road and now some questions??

It has been three great weeks with my argosy and its working well but I do have a couple questions.
My jack seems to work great with the truck hooked up but will not work with the truck unhooked. is this routine or do I have a short?
The city water hookup simply is not there. My tank does not have one and again is this normal?
Is there a set of plans available to convert the front hide a bed set up to a table and bench set up? I am definately going to switch over as we need a table.
I also wonder if there is a set of plans to convert bunks to a double bed which then might entail a bathroom move.

Lastly is there a Argosy 24 that has a front dinette set up and a rear bedroom?
Might be better to sell mine and buy the other style. Done so much on my little unit that do not want to sell but will see.
Three weeks is the Okanagan and around Williams Lake sure was fun with the old argosy and there were many comments on the trailer.
Thanks for all the help here
chuckmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:49 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Hudson , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to 2Alaska
Hi,

I can't help with the jack but I think that the connection for city water is at the back bumper. That's where it is on mine, by where you hook up the drain hose.
I have the dinette in the front of my trailer and I love the set up. I've seen some great photos from people in the forums that have made custom dinettes that look fantastic. You can seat more people at them and you have a larger bed when you convert it if you have enough space. I'm not that handy so I just made new cushions for mine.
Good luck with your search and travel safe,
~2Alaska
2Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Check interior fuses for an open one. T/V system is seperate & the power is independent of the A/S
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
My city water connection is on the drivers side on the frame just about to the rear bumper.
The jack sounds like grounding problem. Does the umbilical need to be connected, or just hitched (which would give you grounding). I have a 7.3 which has the front gaucho, my table folds down and slides in beside it against the wall. When open, it covers about 3/4 the way across.
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #5

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Manistee , Michigan
Cool

Doesn't the dark color make it awful warm inside. Just wondering, as I'm going to paint mine also, just can't decide on the color combo.
Dave G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings chuckmac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmac View Post
It has been three great weeks with my argosy and its working well but I do have a couple questions.
My jack seems to work great with the truck hooked up but will not work with the truck unhooked. is this routine or do I have a short?
I just went through a similar issue with the jack on my Overlander. In all probability, the electric jack was added to your coach as an aftermarket accessory as not that many under 30-foot Argosy trailers were equipped with the electric jack from the factory. Given this situation, it is hard to tell just how it may have been wired. On my Overlander (again, an aftermarket addition), it turned out that the jack had somehow been wired into the break-away switch wiring. Needless to say, the wiring was somewhat cobbled up and had sagged to the point where it caught in some weeds when entering a "primitive" campsite and pulled the connection just enough to create a periodic loss of power. A very helpful neighbor at this year's International Rally was a tremendous help and re-wired both my break-away switch and electic jack so that both are now properly wired. A separate power cable for the jack was run to the junction block for power and that elminated concerns about a recurrence.

Quote:
The city water hookup simply is not there. My tank does not have one and again is this normal?
You have two separate issues here as the on-board demand system is separated from the city water system by a check-valve in your water pump -- or a check-valve in the incoming city water line. If your Argosy's water system hasn't been changed from stock,:
  • The demand water system fills through a Bargman pull-out access door/funnel system. This small, lockable drawer is typically located on the front of the coach on the streetside almost behind the LP tanks about 30" from ground level. You potable water hose is just held in the funnel opening and the tank fills while the hose is manually held in the opening.
  • The city water hookup should be at the rear of the coach. It is usually located on the streetside bumper support and should have a plastic plug in the hose connector.
Quote:
Is there a set of plans available to convert the front hide a bed set up to a table and bench set up? I am definately going to switch over as we need a table.
While Argosy coaches did have a dinette as optional equipment, your coach should have a nice, three-leaf Credenza Table that folds out of a cabinet located on the wall beside your lounge. Another easy option would be to purchase an apartment sized drop-leaf table that could be used both as a dining table in the coach as well as for a dining table under the patio awning -- this is how the 1960s Vintage Airstreams were designed from the factory.

Quote:
I also wonder if there is a set of plans to convert bunks to a double bed which then might entail a bathroom move.
The Argosy 24 was offered in both twin and double configurations. In the double configuration, there would be a dressing table/dresser setup on the curbside with a pull-out lounge on the streetside that makes up into an RV double bed.

Quote:
Lastly is there a Argosy 24 that has a front dinette set up and a rear bedroom?
Might be better to sell mine and buy the other style. Done so much on my little unit that do not want to sell but will see.
The Argosy line pioneered the rear-door entry floorplans for Airstreams. The rear-entry Argosy 24 had a front bedroom with a center kitchen with "L" shaped dinette and rear bathroom. To me, this setup offers one of the better space utilization ideas for a 24' coach. The floorplan is illustrated in the scan from the sales brochure found below:

Good luck with your investigation/research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
hinton , alberta
Thanks for the answers guys. I just returned from another four day tour to the mountains in Jasper and it was great. My grandson claims the Argosy is the best looking unit in the campground.
Hope everyone is having a great summer so far!!!!

Chuck
chuckmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G. View Post
Doesn't the dark color make it awful warm inside. Just wondering, as I'm going to paint mine also, just can't decide on the color combo.
It does get warm. The AC does well though. She was dark flat blue before, so not alot of difference. We couldn't decide either, finally decided to go with matching the truck. I have a cargomate work trailer black as well, which I guess became the inspiration......I did the top center in elastomeric white to help offset the black. We just got back from Indiana. When we stopped to set up fo the night, there was about a five degree difference in the inside/outside temp, and she cooled off nicely within 20 minutes or so.

Al
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
City water - is not "connected to the fresh water tank.
Tank is filled with a non-connected hose via a small access door.

Jack - drill and add a good clean ground connection on the frame
close to the jack(add into the - neg). There is supposed to be a
wire that comes from the trailer battery for charging purposes when
towing...(+ positive)...connect the main jack wire into this heavy guage wire.
To see two or three LARGE BLUE wire nuts up-under there would not seem
out of place to me. It is a small elect motor....but draws several amps....the big fuse must be inline to charge when towing AND in order to use the jack when disconnected
from the tow-vehic....
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote