Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2016, 08:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1988 29' Argosy
St. Paul , Minnesota
1988 Airstream Argosy

Hi, my first post, since I cannot find a water heater related thread. I recently purchased the 29ft. Argosy. This Argosy is absolutely perfect, showroom original condition. I was incredibly fortunate to find it.. unfortunately there is no owners manual. I am trying to locate the water heater and controls to turn on the hot water. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx..
interpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:35 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
it is next to and out bord of toilet, A small switch with red lamp turns on & off.
A door out side houses gas valve ect.
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:00 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1988 29' Argosy
St. Paul , Minnesota
water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
it is next to and out bord of toilet, A small switch with red lamp turns on & off.
A door out side houses gas valve ect.
Wow, that was easy, I didn't see that. I flipped the switch and it lit red and there was a noise of water, but then the red light went out. Is it still working or does it need something else,, I thought that might be it, because there is no way to light a pilot outside. it doesn't resemble other heaters I have seen. So I assume it's electronically controlled.. I found an old electronic control circuit board in the storage notes dated 2011,, so it was replaced in 2011.. Thx..
Old 07-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
1988 Airstream Argosy

Is there water in the heater? Hope so.
Are the propane tanks full and at least one with the valve open?
If you can locate the control board. With ALL power off, disconnect each wire and clean the connections.
One would assume you have a good battery and or converter plugged into shore power. The control board requires 12 volts DC.
When the water heater is running on gas and the burner is lit. It will sound like a small jet engine on the outside of the trailer.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:20 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1988 29' Argosy
St. Paul , Minnesota
water heater..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Is there water in the heater? Hope so.
Are the propane tanks full and at least one with the valve open?
If you can locate the control board. With ALL power off, disconnect each wire and clean the connections.
One would assume you have a good battery and or converter plugged into shore power. The control board requires 12 volts DC.
When the water heater is running on gas and the burner is lit. It will sound like a small jet engine on the outside of the trailer.
So far I haven't got hot water. Propane tanks are full,, working fine. I have tried everything I can think of. I click the switch it turns red for a few seconds, I can hear it fire. my thought is also water is not getting into the unit. I have closed valves, opened and ran the water hoping to get water into the tank. I removed the exterior drain, a little hot water came out and stopped. Not sure how to get water into the tank at this point. seems like this is the problem,, otherwise all systems are go.. Thx.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:09 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
Try hooking city water to hose fitting on side of trailer and turn it on, or if feeding from fresh water tank make shure its full then turn on water pump to fill hot water tank.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

Do not fire propane burner until you get good water flow from all hot water faucets. You appear to have multiple problems in at least 3 possible systems:

-- 12 volt electric
-- propane supply and ignition
-- water supply city and tank/pump

A unit as old as yours is bound to have problems. Is the prior owner around for consult?

I would focus on water flow first. On the road right now with no WIFI, but will reply in more detail later this week.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Could you be in Winter Bypass Mode ?

That mode is used when filling pipes with anti freeze. ( most don't put antifreeze in water heater tank )

Find your water heater, see if you have pipes and valves installed for that mode

There would be valves on the input and output of the water heater, AND one connected between input and output
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1988 29' Argosy
St. Paul , Minnesota
Water Heater..

I believe there is no water in the tank. I don't know about winterizing. I got it from up N. Minnesota near Canadian border. An older couple used it in summer on a lake. Perhaps I need to hook up water to the heater itself. If the upper fitting is the intake, I will need a 90º angle fitting for water hose. does that sound right,, I have tried everything i could think of to get water into tank. but it must have been drained for winter. I have no contact with previous owner,, the lady had a stroke, so it was towed to a dealer whom I purchased it from. I appreciate the help,, The red light comes on for a few seconds and I can hear it fire. But shuts right down. Assuming there is no water in the tank. Now how to get water in the tank,, it must be air locked. Everything works fine including AC. It's hooked to water and I have filled internal tank,, propane tanks are full, stove works fine.. here is pic",, hope this attach. works.. Thx.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You need to slow down and read things here more carefully IMO.

In Post 7 I suggested not firing the water heater until you have water in it. You can ruin, if you haven't already, the water heater by firing the burner with no water present.

This is a "one step at a time" process.

Impatience will cause more damage.

Please focus on getting water into the fresh water holding tank first. There should be a small door in the exterior maybe with a small key required to open it, which you may not have. There may be a drain valve for the tank which you have to close.

Good luck
Old 07-07-2016, 11:34 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1988 29' Argosy
St. Paul , Minnesota
1988 Argosy water heater..

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
You need to slow down and read things here more carefully IMO.

In Post 7 I suggested not firing the water heater until you have water in it. You can ruin, if you haven't already, the water heater by firing the burner with no water present.

This is a "one step at a time" process.

Please focus on getting water into the fresh water holding tank first. There should be a small door in the exterior maybe with a small key required to open it, which you may not have. There may be a drain valve for the tank which you have to close.

Good luck
Yes good advise,, I tend to become impatient. I have had the Argosy for a month now. Making many renovations and mods. But I do need the shower functional. it's hot here, 100º+.. For many years I was a boat builder/Carpinter/Engineer. This Argosy is amazing & perfect for me at this stage of my life.. The water heater is the only issue. I finally held the hose full pressure to the intake with the relief open and flooded it. The red light is on, but the water is cool after hrs. Now that I have located it and the connections, it filled in about a minute, so it is probably the 6 gal tank. Once I figure out all the nuances, I will replace it with a heat on demand system. Obviously the water heater system is 28 years old,, my old Corvette race car is 30 years old, but after 25 years building it is better & faster than most supercars,, This Argosy is my home for life, I totally appreciate the input, advice and suggestions from experience. I wish I could post pictures of the progress here. Quite an interesting transformation.. Thx..
Old 07-08-2016, 06:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Are you planning on living in the Argosy thru the Minnesota winters? That will be quite a challenge.
Have you determined if there is a bypass system for the water heater? Is your only problem now get it to light?
Are you sure you have water flowing thru the water heater when you open a hot water faucet?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying that you still do not have fresh water water flowing fully through your entire plumbing system, either from the fresh water tank, or from a city water supply via a hose to the water intake threaded connection on the outside wall someplace?

Maybe I have misread you, but it sounds like you filled the water heater on its own. You should not have to do this. The heater should be filled from your trailer's cold water supply system (tank/pump or city water).

Have a good weekend.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpilot View Post
Yes good advise,, I tend to become impatient. I have had the Argosy for a month now. Making many renovations and mods. But I do need the shower functional. it's hot here, 100º+.. For many years I was a boat builder/Carpinter/Engineer. This Argosy is amazing & perfect for me at this stage of my life.. The water heater is the only issue. I finally held the hose full pressure to the intake with the relief open and flooded it. The red light is on, but the water is cool after hrs. Now that I have located it and the connections, it filled in about a minute, so it is probably the 6 gal tank. Once I figure out all the nuances, I will replace it with a heat on demand system. Obviously the water heater system is 28 years old,, my old Corvette race car is 30 years old, but after 25 years building it is better & faster than most supercars,, This Argosy is my home for life, I totally appreciate the input, advice and suggestions from experience. I wish I could post pictures of the progress here. Quite an interesting transformation.. Thx..
Old 07-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1988 29' Argosy
St. Paul , Minnesota
water Heater..

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying that you still do not have fresh water water flowing fully through your entire plumbing system, either from the fresh water tank, or from a city water supply via a hose to the water intake threaded connection on the outside wall someplace?

Maybe I have misread you, but it sounds like you filled the water heater on its own. You should not have to do this. The heater should be filled from your trailer's cold water supply system (tank/pump or city water).

Have a good weekend.

Peter
Well, something went wrong. Now it won't ignite. I probably fried something in my impatience to get it going. Yes after days of trying to let the tank fill, I filled it with a garden hose held to it until it flowed out the relief valve. maybe water got in the ignition,, the red light comes on for a couple seconds, then goes out and comes back and stays on. But it hasn't ignited. So no hot water. Cold showers for now,, good thing it's not Minnesota winter. And I still cannot post pic's or video here. I am on MacPro. Busy now remodeling rear bedroom from two single parallel beds to 1 perpendicular 42" truck size mattress. Quite a job, but I have all the materials which I disassembled my teak & cherrywood office studio when I left California. I have all the tools and most materials,, it's a fun project,, trying to post a video or pic, see if I get it to work,,
Attached Files
Old 10-13-2016, 09:14 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Gilbert , Arizona
What is a 1988 Argosy

1977 24ft Argosy - sold.
Picinisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Basically a painted square stream
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:17 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1988 29' Argosy
St. Paul , Minnesota
1988 Airstream Argosy

Yes, a 1988 Airstream Argosy is the last of it's kind,, 1988 was the last 29' Argosy built. It's heavier than traditional Airstreams,, but more spacious and cabinetry. I purchased it from an elderly couple. The lady had a stroke, so he had no more interest in the trailer. In my younger days I was a boatbuilder, so I am building it to my specs.. I am currently living in it in Minnesota,, luckily the furnace works great
Old 10-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
Hi did you git your heater working ?, I can take a look at mine. cell # 310-779-4803 lets chat. Best Jim
Old 10-14-2016, 10:41 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Gilbert , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by interpilot View Post
Yes, a 1988 Airstream Argosy is the last of it's kind,, 1988 was the last 29' Argosy built.
I was under the impression that the last Argosy was produced in 1979.

1977 24ft Argosy - sold.
Picinisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:21 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
The last round body Argosy was made in 79. Square body Argosy's were made from 1986 to 1989. No Argosy units were built from 1980 to 1985.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote