Old 05-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Grand Rapids , Michigan
1986.5 Argosy Trailer

New owner of a 27 foot Argosy! A few questions. Why do i only see people talking about the 70s or earlier Argosy trailers? Our model year is also a 1986.5 which seems sort of strange anyone have any insight on that? It is in pretty good shape but not perfect. Have spent the day cleaning the interior and will be cleaning the exterior later today. Will post some pics when i get a chance. Any fellow late 80s owners here? It also has the original owners manual and receipt. $23,000 back then!

Old 05-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Squarepants has an '87. There's an active thread right now on his recent weekend trip.

Welcome, BTW.

I'm just not sure they are terribly common. No discrimination going on, I don't think???

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Grand Rapids , Michigan
okay, thanks. Anywhere i can get parts for this trailer? Not really much or anything i need but could probably find a thing or two.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1986.5 Argosy Trailer

Greetings Tesseract!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Second Generation (Square) Argosy ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post
New owner of a 27 foot Argosy! A few questions. Why do i only see people talking about the 70s or earlier Argosy trailers? Our model year is also a 1986.5 which seems sort of strange anyone have any insight on that? It is in pretty good shape but not perfect. Have spent the day cleaning the interior and will be cleaning the exterior later today. Will post some pics when i get a chance. Any fellow late 80s owners here? It also has the original owners manual and receipt. $23,000 back then!

Argosy coaches had two distinct lives. The first generation Argosy travel trailers were produced from 1971 (1972 Model Year) through 1979. The first generation Argosy travel trailers are easily identified as having Airstream heritage as they share the basic shape and construction details of the Airstream parent. These first generation Argosy travel trailers were introduced as a less expensive, mid-priced entry-point into the Airstream lifestyle. The only part of the Airstream lifestyle that wasn't available to the original purchasers of the first generation Argosy coaches was membership in the WBCCI (Wally Byam Caravan Club International) . . . Argosy coaches wouldn't be accepted in the WBCCI until 1991. The first generation Argosy coaches also served as the testing ground for some features that would later appear in their Airstream siblings . . . as well as some that wouldn't . . . some examples:
  • Panoramic front windows. All first generation Argosy travel trailers had front panoramic windows. The only difference was that Argosy panoramic windows were clear while the Airstreams used the same windows only with solar gray tinting.
  • Panoramic rear windows in rear bedroom coaches. All first generation Argosy travel trailers with rear bedrooms were equipped with panoramic windows. This feature would later be offered on Airstream coaches, but again the big difference was Argosy had clear and Airstream utilized solar-gray tinting.
  • Motorhome. The first motorhomes leaving an Airstream-owned factory were Argosy (1975?). The motorhome would appear in Airstream clothing in 1979.
  • Composite Aluminum Floors. This feature first appeared in the 1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre and would see application in a large number of Minuet 6.0 Metre coaches (1977-1979) as well as a few Minuet 6.7 Metre coaches (1977-1979). This feature didn't live up to the expectations of Airstream and never saw application in the Airstream lineup.
The second generation Argosy travel trailers began production in 1985(?) and lasted through 1988(?). The second generation Argosy travel trailers didn't share a family resemblance to their contemporary Airstream siblings. These second generation Argosy travel trailers were squared-off in shape and were pioneering the structures that would later be applied to the Airstream Land Yacht (Square Stream) travel trailers beginning in 1988 as well as the Airstream Integrity and Land Yacht Fifth Wheels beginning in 1988. Unlike the first generation Argosy travel trailers, these second generation Argosy coaches were at the high-end of the mid-priced field or the lower-end of the high-priced field depending upon who was making the interpretation. The second generation Argosy coaches were produced in far lower numbers than the first generation Argosy coaches; and were produced over a much shorter time span.

The second generation Argosy travel trailers are an unusual sight at Airstream functions, but have been extremely poupular tours during Vintage open houses as they are so uncommon.

Enjoy your Square Argosy!

Kevin

P.S.: I am less certain of dates for the second generation Argosy travel trailers as my research has focused upon the first generation Argosy travel trailers. I may be a year or two off in either direction at each end of the second generation production run.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Grand Rapids , Michigan
Great thanks, i had not read this information yet. Would love to get some input from someone who knows some firsthand information on these bad boys. If any second generation argosy owner is out there please post here and/or private message me! Still figuring out all the tricks to this cool trailer.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Grand Rapids , Michigan
Not sure if you generation 1 argosy owners have this but the coaxal connections for the antenna have a 12v signal booster plug right under them. Can i buy a plug or power cord for these somewhere? I can add a picture if that helps
Old 05-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1986.5 Argosy Trailer

Greetings Tesseract!

Quote:
Not sure if you generation 1 argosy owners have this but the coaxal connections for the antenna have a 12v signal booster plug right under them. Can i buy a plug or power cord for these somewhere? I can add a picture if that helps
I can't say with assurance just when Airstream/Argosy converted to coax for their television antenna installations, but I don't believe that coax was utilized during the first generation Argosy production. I suspect that the coax may have been introduced after the Skyliner antennas were discontinued, but this is a guess on my part. Since the television antennas were not Airstream/Argosy specific, the parts would be similar, if not identical, to those on contemporary RVs from many manufacturers. While I haven't seen the plug that you mention, I strongly suspect that it is a standard automotive or RV component that may still be available today. I would suggest checking any RV dealer with a well-stocked accessories and parts store to see if they have what you need in the television antenna and electronics section.

Good luck with your Argosy!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Grand Rapids , Michigan
Can someone tell me what licenses or fees i need to get this thing road ready? We are just using it as a little home base for a project we are working on now but may want to take it for a short road trip soon. Also does the trailer license plate that came on it still work for me and i just have to renew it? Thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
You really need to check with the Secretary of State or DMV office in Michigan. These things vary state to state.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It has been 15 years since I lived in Michigan, but IIRC, you take your old title and bill of sale To the DMV where you will get the pleasure of paying sales tax, title fee, and registration fee.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #11

1979 30' Argosy
North Bend , Washington
argosy parts

Quote:
okay, thanks. Anywhere i can get parts for this trailer? Not really much or anything i need but could probably find a thing or two.
we have a 1st gen. Argosy but my husband repairs rv's for a living. We scored great parts for our restore at PPL. RV parts and Inland RV center. they seem to be the best when we need the spec. stuff