Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hill country , Texas
1979 Argosy Minuet XT Brakes Bearings

Hello!

I'm new to the forum and so far I can tell you can spend forever here happily!

We upgraded from a 13 Casita to a 24? Arogsy "Deer camp" Trailer. Man, it's great!! We have just loved dreaming in it in the yard. Well, it's spring and time to get her on the Road!

Through research on this forum I replaced the tires (they were passenger and not the correct size) with the 225 75 15 radials. When the tires were off, I spun the hub and it sounded like the bearings need to be gone through. I have the owner's manual and the shop manual from Airstream, but am wondering if anyone here has specific info. on the 7.3 minute. I have some mechanical apitiude but going through the brakes and bearings has me a little scared!

I can pull the wheels off and take some pics if it helps. I'm hoping I can get parts ordered before summer. From what limited I have researched, this is kind of a rare trailer model, so I'm hoping someone out there has one of these as well- looking for long lost trailer family

Thank you in advance for any help, how to's, links, etc.!
ArgosyGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1979 Arogsy Minuet XT Brakes Bearings

Greetings ArgosyGypsy!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Minuet ownership!

The running gear on your Minuet uses standard parts for brakes, bearings, and shocks. The axles and chassis are both about 6" narrower than their contemporaries. You will likely find that the brakes are either Dexter or Kelsey Hayes, and most times, it seems that they are dexter. Unlike Airstreams of the period, Argosy trailers had regular drum brakes rather than disc brakes. Should you need brake parts, it is usually much less expensive to purchase fully loaded backing plates that include all new hardware and parts to renew your brakes. Most RV service garages should have the bearing seales, and some have found automotive parts houses that will cross reference the bearings and seals.

Good luck with your Minuet!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgosyGypsy View Post
Hello!

I'm new to the forum and so far I can tell you can spend forever here happily!

We upgraded from a 13 Casita to a 24? Arogsy "Deer camp" Trailer. Man, it's great!! We have just loved dreaming in it in the yard. Well, it's spring and time to get her on the Road!

Through research on this forum I replaced the tires (they were passenger and not the correct size) with the 225 75 15 radials. When the tires were off, I spun the hub and it sounded like the bearings need to be gone through. I have the owner's manual and the shop manual from Airstream, but am wondering if anyone here has specific info. on the 7.3 minute. I have some mechanical apitiude but going through the brakes and bearings has me a little scared!

I can pull the wheels off and take some pics if it helps. I'm hoping I can get parts ordered before summer. From what limited I have researched, this is kind of a rare trailer model, so I'm hoping someone out there has one of these as well- looking for long lost trailer family

Thank you in advance for any help, how to's, links, etc.!
You will find that your Minuet has 10 inch brakes.

The noise you hear, is probably the magnets dragging, which is normal, especially if the trailer sat for a long time.

When you pill a wheel off and the the hub and drum, replacing the grease seals is a must.

Degrease the bearings and inspect them for any discoloration. If none, pack them well, and replace the seals.

You should also check out the axle, to make sure it's serviceable, especially if the trailer was parked for an extended period of time.

The following article will help you.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Hill country , Texas
Thank you for all the awesome info! I hope to oull the hub caps, drum, and check out the bearings, brakes, and axles today. I'll snap some pics as I go along. Should I use a big screw driver or crow bar to pry off hubs or is there a better way? Also, I would like to make sure I order proper grease seals for bearings. Is there a certain name for them? Lastly, is there one place that's better than another to jack up the traielr on my 24 Argosy? Sorry to ask so many questions!

Again, I appreciate all the info! Thanks Andy for the excellent link on the Axles it was very helpful..I look forward to checking them out and have my fingers crossed!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Videos

There are a number of videos on the internet showing how to repack wheel bearings and replace the seals. There is nothing special about the Argosy that won't be covered by these videos.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:12 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Hill country , Texas
Ok! Goo info. Thank you!
Old 04-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Hill country , Texas
Does anyone know the part number/ where has the bearing seals?

Aslo, the axles look original and probably need replacing. What will the dragging magnets do if I use the current set up until I can afford to replace the axles/brakes? We aren't making long hauls, just a couple hundred miles to the coast and back. Thanks!!
Old 04-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgosyGypsy View Post
Does anyone know the part number/ where has the bearing seals?

Aslo, the axles look original and probably need replacing. What will the dragging magnets do if I use the current set up until I can afford to replace the axles/brakes? We aren't making long hauls, just a couple hundred miles to the coast and back. Thanks!!
The answer to your question, is a huge quess.

Guessing should not take place when safety is involved.

Have someone pull a hub and drum, to determine what is there and it's exact condition. I promise you, that will let you sleep much better.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The "dragging magnets" are keeping the brake shoes touching the drum as it turns (if indeed that's what's causing your noise when you rotate the wheel... as Andy says that's the most likely. If your bearings are making much noise they're in bad shape.)

It's bad for brake shoes to drag, because drum brakes are "self-actuating" meaning that as the shoe contacts the drum, the rotation of the drum tends to pull the shoe into the drum. That's why power brakes weren't as necessary when cars had all-drum brakes, it didn't require as much hydraulic pressure to activate the brakes and get good stopping power (for the first stop or two, anyway, then the drums heat up and things get that sort of "exciting" that's not really fun.) Dragging shoes also wear out much faster.

Taking off the drums, cleaning up the mechanism (brushing off rust, etc) and properly adjusting the brakes should stop the shoes from dragging.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Hill country , Texas
Awesome info. guys. I was wondering if there's anyone in the Austin Texas area that could put a knowlegable eye on this. I can pay gas, some cash for time or beverages of choice. Also, I can give some golf lessons and cut grass with the best of them If not, I'll pull hub and post some pics, go from there on the forum. Just thought I'd throw line out there to see if there was any knowlegable help in the area, as the dealers I know are not specifically knowlegable to my trailer. Thank you for all the help and advice...Off to wheel pulling and inspecting I go!
Old 04-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Brakes! No big deal to check out.

The brakes on your trailer are nothing special. Anyone who has knowledge of electric brakes should be able to help you.
If the part number is not visible on the wheel bearing seals or the bearings, just take the old one(s) to any knowledgeable auto parts store. Be sure to take the outer bearing race as well. I bought mine at NAPA and Carquest. Needed 4, NAPA only had 2. They were cheaper at Carquest.
There are also videos on the internet that show how to adjust drum brakes. Believe me; it is not rocket science.
When you get the brake drums off, clean all the parts on the back plate and the inside of the drums with Brake Cleaner, it comes in spray cans. Available at Wal Mart or Auto Parts Stores.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote