Old 04-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia
1978 Minuet weights - 7.4 metre

Hi,
New to the forum. I've located a '78 Minuet 24' but can't seem to find the correct wt. The brochures found on line list both the Argosy 24 and the Minuet at 3840#. Isn't the wt of the Minuet around 2900 or 3000? My tow vehicle is a 6cyl 4runner and going over 4000# would be too much.
Can anyone help?
Tks

Old 04-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
What does the weight tag on the trailer say? Info on the trailer itself is to be given precedence over anything in print.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Welcome to the forums! I am not able to answer your question directly but I do wonder if, even at the lower weight, whether your vehicle is going to be OK hauling the Minuet. At 2900/3000lbs, I am guessing thats dry weight and once loaded you will be at, close to or over that 4000lbs. You might want to ask in the Tow Vehicles area just to get some more opinion (and you will get opinions!) We had an aluminium foil sticker on ours underneath the Vin plate giving us the weights and that was duplicated on a paper sheet stuck to the vent in the cupboard above the fridge. Perhaps this unit has the same.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
My $.02: 3840# is likely the GVWR, maximum loaded weight. The 6m Minuet is 3500# GVWR with a dry weight about 2600#. That means you could tow with the 4 Runner if you were careful about what you pack and use a decent load distributing hitch. You aren't going to blast past folks going up hill but it will get you there.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:45 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Topping , Virginia
Thanks for the replies. The 4runner is rated at 5K 500# hitch wt. I've towed a Casita 12K miles with an old 4runner that had 220K on it. Figuring my '07 will handle up to 3500 easily. As advised, carefully loaded. Both Argosy's are a few states away and the current owners don't seem very knowledgeable about their units.
Any info anyone would like to give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Do a search for local inspectors/inspection reports. This will give you a great idea of what to look for but essentially the following are often (but not always) issues that need to be resolved:
Floor rot
Rear separation
Axles (suspension)
Window and vent gasket condition
For sure I would be looking to get an experienced member inspecting the units.

Bex
Old 04-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I agree with Bex. Get someone to look at the unit who knows something about Argosy/Airstream trailers. The cost will be worth it if you are saved a trip. I would also suggest the current owners send you a picture of the VIN plate so you can see the weight rating. I don't think you are in trouble with the weight.

If you can't get an inspection by a local, read up on the topics Bex mentions, and decide whether you want to spend the time and money to go do your own inspection. Price certainly plays a role here. You can depend on having to do some work on it no matter what anyone says. It is best if the unit is useable as is and you can dink around on it for pleasure.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
The Minuet 7.3 could weigh close to that 4000 lbs. My understanding is that it has a more substantial frame than the shorter Minuets like I own. Unless this trailer is unusual, it will also lack the aluminum composite floors that some of the smaller Minuets have.

That said, it is odd that the brochures say it weighs that much. That weight is within 200 lbs of the concurrent 25' Tradewind, a trailer that lacks the aluminum cabinetry and acrylic windows and narrow width of the longest Minuet.

All the same, if the 4runner is rated to tow 5000 lbs, it will yank around that Minuet fine. Just pay attention to proper weight distribution and antisway.

Congrats on finding the trailer - they are comparatively rare.

Tom
Old 04-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
weights

Greetings tarnished!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnished View Post
Hi,
New to the forum. I've located a '78 Minuet 24' but can't seem to find the correct wt. The brochures found on line list both the Argosy 24 and the Minuet at 3840#. Isn't the wt of the Minuet around 2900 or 3000? My tow vehicle is a 6cyl 4runner and going over 4000# would be too much.
Can anyone help?
Tks
The 7.4 Metre Minuet was the least common of the Minuets, and locating reliable information regarding this model produces the greatest challenge of any of the three Minuets. It is the only Minuet that appears have been produced only with plywood subfloors . . . it two smaller siblings were produced with either plywood subfloors or with the aluminum composite subfloors . . . more 6.0 Metres have the composite aluminum than the 6.7 Metres, but there are numerous examples of each with the aluminum composite. Every 7.4 Metre Minuet for which I have found reliable reports has had the plywood subfloors . . . not necessarily a problem, but they are heavier than the aluminum composite.

The image below is of the Minuet data page from the 1979 catalog . . . the basic specifications didn't change greatly among the three years that the Minuets were produced so the basic facts should be similar if not identical for the 1978 that you are considering:

As you can see, the dry or unladen weight of the coach is 3,820 pounds with a dry/unladen hitch weight of 510 pounds. The biggest thing to remember about either of these numbers is that these coaches were not highly featured in their standard equipment so there were large numbers of options which could quickly increase the dry/unladen weight. Just adding a patio awning and air conditioning could push the dry/unladen weight of this coach to very nearly 4,000 pounds. Adding 30 pound or 40 pound optional LP tanks could also very quickly add another 20 to 50 pounds . . . so the published dry/unladen weights need to be taken as a rough approximation until the level of options/accessories on the subject coach can be factored into the dry/unladen weight. My suspicion is that the dry/unladen weight is more likely to be 4,000 pounds if not slightly higher. Based upon my experience with the 6.0 Metre Minuet, I would suspect that the loaded ready to travel weight on a 7.4 Metre Minuet is going to approach a gross weight of 4,900 pounds with a hitch weight of 670 pounds (my 6.0 Metre Minuet generally has a gross ready to travel weight of 3,100 pounds with a hitch weight of 575 pounds).

I susect that you will find that your 4-Runner would be marginal with this coach. While the 7.4 Metre Minuet's profile (narrower width), and low center of gravity would be very compatible with your vehicle . . . the gross weight of the coach in ready to travel mode is likely to be at the maximum or in excess of the ratings you indicate.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut20 View Post
It is best if the unit is useable as is and you can dink around on it for pleasure.
I thought ours was going to be like this but it was not.

Rear separation was not something I had read about until I researched a rear end issue with ours and discovered thats what it was.

I just installed the missing screen door that I bought last year and discovered that a bunch more cracks have appeared over winter in the end caps, as well as some re-opened old repairs. Still trying to find a permanent fix for this.

Plumbing is another issue that might need attention.

None of this is meant to put you off, just to make you aware that most of these trailers are a work in progress.
Please keep us posted on your search and good luck, they are certainly worth the wait to find the right one.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Topping , Virginia
Many thanks. I still wonder why an increase in length from 22 to 24' causes a wt increase of 1100# as opposed to the wt increase of roughly 300 # from 20 to 22'. It must be the more robust framing used and dual axels. The asking price is 7900 negotiable. I'll consider getting rid of my 4runner and getting something heavier as the appeal of the the layout and 7' width of the 7.4 Minuet is perfect for us.
The information rendered above is excellent and much appreciated. By all means feel free to add to it as I'll need all the help I can get. One way or another we'll end up with a Minuet, preferably the 7.4, or if necessary a 6.7.
Paul
Old 04-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
weights

Greetings Paul!

Quote:
Many thanks. I still wonder why an increase in length from 22 to 24' causes a wt increase of 1100# as opposed to the wt increase of roughly 300 # from 20 to 22'. It must be the more robust framing used and dual axels. The asking price is 7900 negotiable. I'll consider getting rid of my 4runner and getting something heavier as the appeal of the the layout and 7' width of the 7.4 Minuet is perfect for us.
The information rendered above is excellent and much appreciated. By all means feel free to add to it as I'll need all the help I can get. One way or another we'll end up with a Minuet, preferably the 7.4, or if necessary a 6.7.
Paul
There are a few reasons that the 7.4 Minuet has a greater weight penalty for its additional 2-feet than the additional 2-feet from the 6.0 Metre to the 6.7 Metre, and these would include:
  • The standard use of 3/4" plywood as the subfloor rather than the aluminum composite that was likely included in the calcualtion of the "standard" dry/unladen weight of the two smaller Minuets.
  • The 7.4 Metre Minuet included a larger refrigerator as standard equipment (not a huge additional weight but an increase).
  • The addition of the second axle adds a comparatively significant amount of weight by the time you consider the axle, drums, wheels, and tires.
  • Less is known about the 7.4 Metre Minuets, and since I have only actually been able to examine one myself, I can speculate that the following may be part of the reasons for the significant weight increse between the 6.7 and 7.4 Metre Minuets:
    • Larger LP tanks were likely standard on the 7.4.
    • More of the windows "may" have been glass rather than the acrylic . . . the Panoramic front windows as well as the rear bath window on the smaller Minuets were the only glass windows included in the dry/unladen weight of the shorter Minuets - - less is known about the 7.4, and due to its smaller numbers it is possible that some of the windows not shared with the smaller coaches "may" have been glass.
    • I didn't pay close enough attention when I had the opportunity to see a 7.4 Minuet, so I don't know whether the frame was heavier gauge or dimensionally larger than the two smaller Minuets, but it would make sense that it would be heavier to support the more complex running gear and greater length.
    • Again, when I had the opportunity to examine a 7.4 Minuet, I didn't pay close enough attention to know whether there was a distinct difference between the smaller Minuets and the 7.4; but it is possible that construction methods employed for the cabinetry may have been different . . . in the shorter Minuets, there was very little wood in the cabinetry, bulkheads, and structural elements as most was either aluminum or various forms of plastic. It is possible that the cabinetry utilized in the 7.4 Minuet may have more in common with the standard Argosy trailer than its Minuet siblings . . . something that I don't believe any of the Minuet 7.4 owners on the Forums have made comments.
From everything that I have been able to discover, the 7.4 Minuets were the lowest production of the three Minuets so less is actually known. If you are looking specifically for the the narrower Minuet body, you can also look for the 1980 Airstream Caravelle series as this series also featured the narrow body and lighter weith of the Minuets with the same or nearly identical floor plans. The 1980 Caravelle was a one-year model series for Airstream, and based upon the narrow width and similar floorplans, my speculation has been that Airstream may have been making use of chassis that were purchased for Argosy that weren't used . . . and the surplus chassis found a home in the Airstream Caravelles for 1980.

Good luck with your investigation! The 7.4 Minuets can create quite a stir in an Argosy gathering as they do tend to be among the more unusual Argosy trailers.

Kevin
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
Old 04-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Topping , Virginia
Thanks for the excellent info Kevin. Your speculation about the Caravelle model is more then likely correct. I've re-confirmed the Minuet designation with the owner. Currently trying to locate someone knowledgable in the Rockport TX area to do an inspection for me. I'm also making to plans to drive there next Mon morning regardless. The current owner is the third and has had the unit for 18mos. The second owner maintained it very well and had in for many years. The pics indicate a cared for interior. The owner considers the only drawback is that the awning needs to be replaced. His price of 7900 is firm. He also says the trailer is slightly wider then 7' but he'll check it for me.
Paul
Old 04-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
weights

Greetings Paul!

Quote:
Thanks for the excellent info Kevin. Your speculation about the Caravelle model is more then likely correct. I've re-confirmed the Minuet designation with the owner. Currently trying to locate someone knowledgable in the Rockport TX area to do an inspection for me. I'm also making to plans to drive there next Mon morning regardless. The current owner is the third and has had the unit for 18mos. The second owner maintained it very well and had in for many years. The pics indicate a cared for interior. The owner considers the only drawback is that the awning needs to be replaced. His price of 7900 is firm. He also says the trailer is slightly wider then 7' but he'll check it for me.
Paul
Locating a Minuet that has been well-cared for and hasn't been passed around among too many previous owners is a rarity. I was very fortunate to purchase mine from the original owner, and everything was factory original when I purchased the coach. I had to replace the origianl upholstery, drapes and floor covering as all were beyond their useful life . . . the only other items that I have had to replace were the Univolt and water heater.

When measuring the width, the 7' width refers to the interior width of the floor. The actual width of the exterior of the coach is probably closer to 7' 4" and possibly a little more . . . I must admit that as long as I have owned my Minuet, I have never measure the exterior width.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

AIR #827