Old 04-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #15
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
I think Kevin is correct on all counts as to the increased weight. I checked out a Minuet last year that a Guy had in his local Buy/Sell yard. I would never have given it a second thought as being anything but a 24ft twin axle Argosy except it had the "Minuet" decals as well. Interior was (from what I remember) little if any, different from our own trailer. I just compared the above minuet brochure pics/specs with my own 1976 brochure for the Argosy and it does differ a little in weight only. They appear to be the same floor plan exactly. Maybe in the longer length at the later date it was just a marketing thing and there was no difference.
24 minuet as above is 510 and 3820
24ft Argosy is 560 and 3610
I wonder how that is accounted for?
No need to answer, just thought it was odd.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia
finally

Hi all,
Just returned from TX with my new Minuet 7.3. Over the next few days I'll get things sorted out.
All original manuals and and owners book were included.
First thing done when home was to remove the carpet. Ugh.
Thanks all.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

I had a 7.3 Minuet that was an all orginal trailer for about a year before selling it last fall. Yes, just the front/rear windows are glass, sides are plastic. Most of the cabinets are made of aluminum, though some did have wood front doors. Subfloor was plywood, plus A/C on top. Mine was a 1978 or 1979 (can't remember) it had the greeen striping down the sides. Also had a three inch "C" Channel frame which I found strange. Had the green plaid/orange interior.

Enjoy,
Old 04-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Topping , Virginia
According to the manual I have the dry wt of the '79 7.3 is 3287 and a GVWR of 4500. It also has a form to determin factory delivered wt which would include options and estimated wts for other items one might carry. AC unit 113# 4 BAL jacks 48#
5Gal LPG tank filled 40# etc.
Paul
Old 04-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
That makes more sense than the weight in the brochure - it's similar in weight to the similar 1980 and 1981 24' Caravelle and International.

Neat trailer! Was it a gaucho or dinette in front?

Tom
Old 04-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1978 Minuet weights - 7.4 metre

Greetings Paul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnished View Post
According to the manual I have the dry wt of the '79 7.3 is 3287 and a GVWR of 4500. It also has a form to determin factory delivered wt which would include options and estimated wts for other items one might carry. AC unit 113# 4 BAL jacks 48#
5Gal LPG tank filled 40# etc.
Paul
I think that it was a sign of the times (1975-198?) when manufacturers of travel trailers targeted at the "light-weight" market provided a break-down of what impact each option would have to the empty weight and tongue weight. I can still remember ordering a 1980 Skyline Nomad Light-Weight Special 1780 . . . 17.5' six sleeper coach. I don't think Nomad expected anyone to purchase every option ordered as when I did that . . . . without knowing I had an overloaded axle . . . at less than a year old the curbside spring failed poking the spring pack through the tire and causing a catastophic blow-out. I was very fortunate that the 180 degree spin that it sent me into resulted in no damage or injuries . . . except to the trailer. We had six passengers in our Pontiac Bonneville tow vehicle and its only damage wat the loss of a rubber bumper guard that didn't cost much to replace. Two years later I sold the coach as "fixes" applied by my Nomad dealer made not difference in that coach's horrible road manner. A photo of that coach is below with my 1965 Dodge Coronet 500 Convertible at the Cloud Nine Ranch in Caulfield, MO in 1980.

Kevin

The Nomad further sold me on RVing, but it wasn't even in the same league as the '64 Airstream Overlander that I went on my first camping trip in during the summer of 1964.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Topping , Virginia
Tom
My 7.3 has the gaucho in the main and sleeping compartment.

Kevin
I purchased the Minuet not so much because of it's lighter wt but for it's
narrower width. Over the years I've come to prefer a 7' wide unit instead
of the usual 8'. It's easier to tow and easier to get into some or the more obscure campsites I've found myself in. And of course less anxiety when passing an oncoming trailer on a narrow country road.
My traveling/camping has gotten simpler, and lighter. I'll probably remove the AC unit and actually prefer an ice box to the 3 way refrig. A built in ice box in place of the fridge is easy to do and it will keep a block of ice for 7 days in the summer. If off the road then and no ice nearby the scotch still tastes good without it. An added benefit, one less item to breakdown and need repairs.

Paul