Old 06-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
1978 minuet 6.0 questions

Now that I have dug into the new to me 78 minuet 6.0 I have a couple questions.

1. I see the black tank and the gray tank (for the sinks), both above the floor. I also see the shower/tub drain goes under the floor. Then there is a vent coming up next to the furnace. This vent does not connect into the kitchen sink vent but has one of those check valve type vent caps. I hate to open the belly pan, so my question, do I have a second gray tank for the shower? And if so where's the dump valve?

2. There is a 120volt outlet in the middle (front to back and side to side) of the ceiling. There is a new Air conditioner in the front portion of the ceiling. The A/C is plugged into this outlet. My question: was the outlet factory? Should the A/C have been hard wired to that box?

Thanks

Old 06-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Regarding the shower..... In our 77 minuet, the shower drained directly into the dump Pipe, bypassing the tanks. What this means is that you have about 1.5 gals of pipe to fill and then the water backs up into the shower pan. It was never intended to feed into the gray tank.

Choices are to replumb, only use the shower when you are hooked up to a sewer or take very tiny showers

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Regarding the shower..... In our 77 minuet, the shower drained directly into the dump Pipe, bypassing the tanks. What this means is that you have about 1.5 gals of pipe to fill and then the water backs up into the shower pan. It was never intended to feed into the gray tank.

Choices are to replumb, only use the shower when you are hooked up to a sewer or take very tiny showers
Thanks Janet,

Is that vent just T'ed off of the shower drain?
Old 06-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
The outlet was factory and the AC should have been mounted behind that outlet. There is wiring in the ceiling there that was for AC. What was done in your Minuet was removal of the vent fan and placement of the AC there. As for the vent on the curbside, it is the vent for the sink. Be sure that it is sealed against rain/water or you will get the kitchen range and the furnace well rusted in short order. Carry a blue boy if you want to shower when you aren't hooked up and can't dump gray water on the ground. The gray water tank isn't very large (12 - 15 gallons) so water usage has to be planned.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
Thanks Janet,

Is that vent just T'ed off of the shower drain?
I honestly don't remember but think that's it's shared with the sink. we choose to replumb, running the shower through the grey tank, but in retrospect it was probably unneeded. We rarely use the shower for anything other than storage

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings tiger!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Minuet ownership!

Quote:
Now that I have dug into the new to me 78 minuet 6.0 I have a couple questions.

1. I see the black tank and the gray tank (for the sinks), both above the floor. I also see the shower/tub drain goes under the floor. Then there is a vent coming up next to the furnace. This vent does not connect into the kitchen sink vent but has one of those check valve type vent caps. I hate to open the belly pan, so my question, do I have a second gray tank for the shower? And if so where's the dump valve?
As Janet posted, none of the Minuets (at least the 6.0 and 6.7 Metre coaches) collected the gray water from the shower. I believe that the check-valve-type-vent is for the shower drain . . . I haven't really had the reason to check the routing of that pipe in my Minuet.

Quote:
2. There is a 120volt outlet in the middle (front to back and side to side) of the ceiling. There is a new Air conditioner in the front portion of the ceiling. The A/C is plugged into this outlet. My question: was the outlet factory? Should the A/C have been hard wired to that box?
Information that I have been able to gather indicates that on at least the 6.0 Metre Minuets, the air conditioner prep package was a factory installed option. As the very basic entry-point for the Argosy/Airstream family, and as a very weight conscious coach, my suspicion is that it may have been kept as an option . . . but a near universally installed option.

When the Vintage Friendly dealer who does most of my work installed the air conditioner on my Minuet, they cut an opening that included the ceiling outlet box when installing the air conditioner. The ceiling outlet box was totally gone once the air conditioner was installed in the factory specified location.

Good luck with your Minuet! I am sure that it will give you many miles of enjoyment!

P.S.: Please report if your '78 Minuet 6.0 Metre has composite aluminum floors. Thus far it seems that most '77 and '78 6.0 Metre Minuets have the composite aluminum while a number of '79 6.0 Metre Minuets have plywood floors.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings tiger!

P.S.: Please report if your '78 Minuet 6.0 Metre has composite aluminum floors. Thus far it seems that most '77 and '78 6.0 Metre Minuets have the composite aluminum while a number of '79 6.0 Metre Minuets have plywood floors.
Yes it does have the aluminum floor. PO took out carpet and installed sheet vinyl. But not well done. I'm just thankful he did not glue it.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings tiger!

Quote:
Yes it does have the aluminum floor. PO took out carpet and installed sheet vinyl. But not well done. I'm just thankful he did not glue it.
Thank you for the information. So far, only two 1978 Minuet 6.0 Metre trailers have had plywood rather than composite aluminum floors. It appears that most of the 1978 Minuet 6.0 Metre trailers must have had the composite aluminum.

Enjoy your Minuet!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote