Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2002, 01:52 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1978 Minuet 6.0 Metre Gray Water Tank

My recently purchased '78 Minuet had a factory installed gray water tank that the original owner removed. The tank, a trim panel, and mounting blocks were included witht the trailer. I asked the service department at Ace Fogdall RV to reinstall the tank for me, but it has them stumped - - - they are uncertain as to where it was mounted. From the location of the the gray water dump handle - - there is a labeled cutout in the rear bumper storage area for the gray water or auxiliary tank as it is called in the owner's manual - - it must have been in the rear streetside corner. The trim panel made it look as if the tank mounted on top of the floor, but it doesn't fit the shape of the bathroom wardrobe and the main wardrobe is where the water heater is mounted. Could it have been mounted below the cabinet containing the kitchen sink?

Could someone with a '78 6.0 Metre Minuet enlighten me as to the location of the gray water tank?

Thanks!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 02:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Overlander,
My 78 22' Minuet has the grey tank mounted in the bottom of the rear streetside wardrobe closet. The drain from the kitchen sink which is curbside runs midways on the wall around to the rear, passing thru the shower area, catching the bath sink drain and then passes thru the closet wall turning down into the tank. You should see a vent pipe or evidence of one in the vicinity of the grey tank location. Mine has a metal tray riveted in place on top of the tank which sort of makes a floor. The tub does not drain into the grey tank so I have to use a blue tote when I am showering. I thought it would be a drag to empty it when camping but I guess it gives me something to do. Why would anyone remove the grey tank? Yes it is small but better than nothing. I doubt if yours was mounted below the floor.
Old 10-26-2002, 12:20 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Chas!

Thanks for the information. Intuitively, I thought that the tank belonged there, but now I will need to try to determine how to reinstall it in its home. I have the original panel that acts as the false bottom to the wardrobe. I have this strange feeling that it may be necessary to remove the water heater to get the tank to slide back into its home location. The drains for the kitchen sink, shower, and bath sink are routed as you mention so the tank must have been on top of the wardrobe floor.

It looks like I have a new project for next weekend. The Minuet is in the shop having brake/bearing problems addressed.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 11-04-2002, 11:28 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Hi Overlander64

I am anxious to hear how this goes. I can post a picture of how the grey water tank fits in that space of the minuet. How to get it in there is another story. If you need a pic let me know. They might have cut some pipe to do it, and respliced.

I'm taking my camera out to the trailer tomorrow to get some more pics. The weather has warmed up a bit. My furnace motor is still in the shop.

If you get a chance snap a shot of the plate that fits over the grey water tank. Mine is missing.

Thanks

Jim
barbwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 06:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Jim!

I will find out later today how much longer my mechanic expects to have the Minuet in his shop. Experienced either bearing or brake problems on the return trip from Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, IA two weeks ago. We have very few shops that will work on any kind of trailer in my vicinity, but my regular mechanic will do brake and bearing service for his regular customers. He suspects brake problems while I am more convinced that it's a bearing problem.

When I get the Minuet back from the shop I am planning to take some photos. The panel that installs above the gray water tank is sitting in the middle of the floor so it will be quite easy to get a photo of that part. I probably won't get to the gray water tank issue until late Winter/early Spring as the next major project is to get the trailer to Symsonia, Kentucky for a Fowler Interiors restoration/refurbishment.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 11-14-2002, 10:05 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

I am still wrestling with the issue of re-installing the gray water tank in my '78 Minuet 6.0 Metre. Still haven't figured out just how much disassembly will be necessary to get the tank back where it belongs. The tank was taken out so early in the life of 78-Mini that it still looks new. This is the tank as it appears today:

This is the trim panel that is supposed to be installed over the top of the tank.

I may be doing some disassembly and reassembly this weekend if the weather cooperates.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 11-15-2002, 06:11 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Kevin.

Here is where my grey water tank sits. I am curious if you have the plumbing located identicle to this. You might post a picture of the space you are working in. Maybe it was modified.

You might already know that the shower does not drain into the grey water tank, but out the dump hose. There is a plug located next to the furnace for cleanout.

My grey water tank is polypropylene, yours looks possibly fiberglass? I have the '77 mini-6.

Good luck on your project. I really don't have any suggestions. It looks like you need some play in the vent stack. Let me know if a different angle on this picure would be of any use to you. Hopefully someone will have a great idea.

JimW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grey-water.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	841  
barbwire is offline   Reply With Quote