Old 12-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
If you are going to take off the inner skin to inspect and or replace the insulation as well as new wiring, it may be worth doing a shell off floor replacement. With the floor totally gone from the frame, any repairs or painting can be made. And a better look at where a good location mat be for the tanks.
As far as the pocket door, keep in mind the curved ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3925023769.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	577.3 KB
ID:	174227  

Old 12-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Muncie , Indiana
Hey guys, thanks for the help.

I hadn't considered the hot water heater because it hasn't ever been in the unit! Now that it's mentioned, yeah, that access door is in just the wrong place! So 2 options here right? I could relocate it wherever, and hide it similarly to the furnace back under some cabinets, etc. (with appropriate venting of course) or I need to change up my bedroom design.

Oh and on the curved ceiling, yeah, that's one I had considered I've seen some cool concepts others have done with pocket doors along these lines.

As far as the shell off, I'm conflicted. First off I'm super intimidated by that prospect. Seems like a BIG JOB. I'd love some more info on the main steps involved in doing that. Second, I'm really drawn to it, because it seems like it would be so much easier to do so much of that work with the top off. Am I right?

Thanks again, and I'll do some searching on shell off how to's on the forum, but would welcome any of what you guys went through with yours.

mark

Old 12-09-2012, 07:00 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
For the water heater i thought about turning the bed but really did no want to, and the thought of a gas flame under it was not appealing. So i moved it to a cabinet in the kitchen. Which made it closer to sink and shower. At 6 gallons, shorter runs made more since.

Search the forums for shell off floor replacement. There are a few that have posted details with pictures. Easy to understand and I thought easy to do.