1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1978 22 foot Argosy vs 1978 22' Minuet

Greetings drussel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drussel View Post
If I find a 79 Minuet, it may not have an L shaped dinette, but I could live with that.

In general, do you consider the aluminum floor to be an asset or a liability?
To me, the composite aluminum floor is a great asset . . . no ongoing worry about damage to the floor system by an undetected leak. The down-side is that the rivets used to attach the composite panels means that there are really only two alternatives for flooring. Carpeting is probably the easiest and least expensive -- would also be keeping with what was standard from the factory. Not being a fan of carpeting, I chose Armstrong laminate flooring with the built-in pad -- to give the floor a little additional padding over the rivets, a layer of Armstrong Quiet Step underlayment. The only thing that would disturb me is if the composite panels are damaged - - I don't know how one would go about replacing a damaged panel as I assume that the material used is likely no longer produced.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Geez Kevin, you didn't have to give him ALL the info in one post. The rest of us might have some info to share, not much , but some. Seriously great info for all of us looking at Argo's. Thanks from Ga. Craig

Old 11-18-2009, 04:50 AM   #17
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Skip, I was looking at your post and noticed the new floor going down in the Argosy. Is that a 22' unit? The interior looks like a 1973 that I was looking at online last week.
Thanks
The previous owner installed the flooring. He made allowances for removing three strips so that the old fridge could be removed and replaced in case it ever failed. (Which it did nearly immediately after I bought it. ) He was that plan ahead kind of guy.

Quote:
Skip, I noticed your tag line (22' Argosy looking for a new home". Are you wanting to sell yours?
While I am looking to sell mine, I really was offering you the opportunity to see lots of photos of the interior. I believe my layout was the most common and did not change too much between 72 - 74, so a 73 would look nearly identical.

Enjoy your search!! One thing I would recommend is to buy a unit that is a finished as you can afford. I bought a cheap camper (not Airstream) prior to buying th Argy and it turned out to NOT be cheap. I see many on here buy inexpensive units and then end up spending much much more than if they bought one done. I understand that many like to do that and might have the time, I only have the desire.

Cheers!
biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

The thing is, they don't make them anymore

It might be hard to find the exact model that you want.
If you do , you might have to travel a long way to pick it up, which wouldn't be so so bad.

What Big said was true, it is expensive to restore and refinish an
old trailer. I have about 22K into mine and it is not finished. Expect to pay for a finished trailer.

Trying to find an exact model that is in great shape for a great price would be a hat trick.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Québec
Not looking for a new home any more?

Quote:
Skip, I noticed your tag line (22' Argosy looking for a new home". Are you wanting to sell yours?
I think Biggoofball (Skip) modified his tag line by taking out the "looking for a new home" statement... This might answer you question!
André
Old 11-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #20
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by adore View Post
I think Biggoofball (Skip) modified his tag line by taking out the "looking for a new home" statement... This might answer you question!
André
Nope. She is still looking for a new home.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
In general, do you consider the aluminum floor to be an asset or a liability?
To add another variable - by 1979, even the smaller Minuets typically had a plywood floor. You could find a 78 Minuet 6.7 Metre (22') to get you the space in front of the door and an aluminum floor, but that isn't a common trailer.

I really like the aluminium floor in ours - especially given I have a little leak at a roof rivet that I need to suss out/seal. But there are issues of the floor getting dips between the frame members - putting in a floating laminate floor helps that and makes the floor feel more stiff, which is desirable.

I can't imagine an L-shaped dinette fitting in a Minuet. Too narrow.

I've seen Skip's Argosy (it is for sale) - it is a very nice, ready-to-camp trailer. I wanted the lighter weight Minuet for easier towing with my minivan, but if it wasn't for that....

Tom
Old 11-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #22
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I'm still convinced that Tom could tow my Argy with his Oddessy.

No matter how much I badgered him he would not budge from his desire for a Minute, which he fianly got. I couldn't be happier for him. And cannot wait to see it.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #23
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Finding that aluminum floor on a 22' or 24' will be difficult. Our 78 22 footer has the wood floor. We have pulled up the carpet and will re-floor w/cork, soft underfoot and warmer than wood. Sealing really well should protect.

If you become "obsessed" (note my avatar) w/a particular trailer, you probably will have to travel a ways to make it yours. My hub and youngest son went on an Odyssey () to find ours all the way up in Canada above NY. It was quite an adventure for them and just adds to the stories to tell later@!!

I saw a 22' Minuet on e-bay a couple months ago that did not sell. I e-mailed the owner because they had it listed as a 20', so I may still have their mail address. Never saw it listed after, but can't say for sure what happened to it. Want me to see?

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Noblesville , Indiana
The aluminum floor is appealing to me, but I worried as to why they quit using it.
I also agree the Minuet is probably to narrow for an L-dinette.
While I enjoy project work like restoring or refurbing an Argosy, the timing is not good. I simply do not have the time or the money right now.
We shall keep looking and hope we find something in descent condition. Replacing some items is not a big deal, but no complete overhauls.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Noblesville , Indiana
Leigh, if you find the ebay listing, I would always be interested. Thanks for looking.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #26
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Have not found it, but will try a couple other places.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:11 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Heres one I ran across a few days ago....

1978 Argosy(Airstream) Minuet 22' Travel Trailer

...not enough pics for me but.......

Al
Old 11-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Noblesville , Indiana
Al, thanks for the lead.
On Wed we bought a 20' Minuet. We wanted a 22', but have settled on a 20'. We just got home with it tonight.
I will get some pictures up later in the week. It needs some work, but hopefully not a lot I am unaware of.