Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
1977 Argosy Possible Slight Rear end Separation Would you buy Please help

Hi folks Please lend your expertise. I am trying to get a handle on something. I am looking at a 1977 26' with a B+ body which is mainly what I care about. Ref works and air works tires seem ok, no battery, Interior to me is a gut to fix up nice.

Here is my issue: There is a little movement in the bumper to frame when I sit my back side on it and bounce less than 1/4" but it looks perfect to my eye. SHOULD I CONSIDER IT A DEAL BREAKER? I have an offer in of $4000. waiting her reply subject to my finding out what you all think. Thanks Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Hi Tony S
I am not sure if I have this as well. I just got our 28ft a couple weeks ago.
I guess if you know what to do to fix it, are comfortable with the price offered and aware of the ongoing costs to renovate/restore the trailer then the decision is already made, buy it. IS the seller aware of this issue? Might be a bargaining chip?
I was looking at one in NWT that I noticed had issues (from photos the seller took for me) I pointed out the separation and he immediately emailed back to just make an offer and he would work with me. His asking price was only 2950.00 as I recall. So unless its in really good condition 4k might be high, I really do not know. There is a website New Car Prices, Used Car Values, New Car Reviews & Car Buying Guides - NADAguides.com Official Site
that might help you with value. It helped me but I was not able to negotiate a better price than the 3500 I paid for ours. The seller figured it met all our criteria so we were hooped and had to pay, or be prepared to walk away.
As was said to me when I was contemplating my purchase(s) if you don't buy this one, there will be others. If it meets all your requirements-floor plan, budget etc then go ahead.
I went to look at a 26' and offered 2k while the seller would not budge from 4500, to my knowledge it is still for sale.
It is virtually a given that your trailer will need axles as well as whatever you intend to do on the inside, you need to factor that as well.
Not sure this helps but I hope it does.

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
I hear you Bex. She countered by saying she has a lot of calls and emails and would like to hold out for 4500. She is asking 5500. She wanted me to go for is uncomfortable with negotiating. The body is great and local not much local and it is the floor plan I am after, but I am with you there will always be another. It goes against my plan which is based on what the good folks here preach by the best you can afford and you will be money ahead. I can invest up front a few more bucks so I am leaning toward that route.

As an aside, it is comforting to buy local since I have never pulled anything more than a tent trailer and to take off hundreds of miles with a 25 footer or so that I don't know the true shape of until lived with is something I will do but nice not to.

Actually I hope to buy from someone on the site with a history of posts and good will who is just moving up or down. anyway thanks for your input.

Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Just a final word about the towing.
I have NEVER towed before and was apprehensive to say the least.
All my apprehension subsided after about 1/2 an hour of towing. The 28ft trailer pulled great, I took it steady and went the 91/2 hour ride home with no issues whatever. I had an anti sway bar but it was not installed (ran out of time) and did not need it anyway. I am sure, as long as the bearing and tires are OK, you have a good tow vehicle, brake controller and correctly set up equalizer hitch, you will do fine.
Good luck

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I am of the mind to pay the most you can afford for a trailer that is as close to perfect as you can get. Getting a $2000 trailer sounds good in the beginning but adds up mighty fast. I dumped a project at a big loss before buying a near perfect Argy for a bit more than I wanted and still put a good sum into it. Worth every penny.

I bought my Overlander (very good condition) for a good price and am pecking away at some things myself while we use it. In the end it will cost me a bit more than if I bought a very very good one. I do often wish I waited for the very good one though.

good luck and keep us posted.