Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
1977 Argosy 24' - Rear Door

I'm starting this new thread to talk about my 'new' trailer all in one spot. We just picked our beauty up this past weekend and while I haven't had much time to investigate all her ins and outs I know that this is the most incredible specimen I've seen of a 36 year old trailer and I'm so blessed to have found her!
The trailer came with all the original paperwork for all the appliances, the owners manual and the original title. I think this trailer is 100% complete and original. The only thing that I'm aware of that could be missing is a bucket or 2. Here are some pics of our awesome find; including one of us with the awesome sellers.

oh, and we just discovered the table this morning. Knew it was supposed to have one but never saw one and never asked. I think the 1500 mile weekend drive was the cause of our forgetfulness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	argosy 003.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	188472   Click image for larger version

Name:	our argosy 005.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	188473  

Click image for larger version

Name:	our argosy 008.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	188474   Click image for larger version

Name:	our argosy 014.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	188475  

Old 06-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
As I said in your Member Intro thread, I think this is a fantastic score. Looks like a really lovely Argosy, I wish my new project trailer looked 1/4th as good!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Thank you. We've been down the 'rebuild from the floor up' route before and were hoping and praying that it didn't come to that again. I was willing to pay to have a solid floor, if there even was such a beast, but the willing to wait was a mite harder to manage! I feel very lucky indeed.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Remember that it probably has leaks. It's been protected under cover so no harm was done, but find them and fix them while that floor is still solid.

I'm hoping I'm not quite destined for "floor up" with il Progetto, but I know I have at least a section to patch... I'll know fairly soon if there's more. *shudder*

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 06-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
yes, that is the plan...to seek out and destroy any leaks before anything (more?) happens! that's how my summer will be spent, on investigation and maintenance while its too hot to camp.

haha, I can feel your shudder from here...I hope that the force is with you and the section to patch is all you face.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
She is a beauty!
Dickandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Atlanta , Georgia
GAWGEOUS!!! Enjoy her! ))
Marufaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Got to say, I'm envious. Finding one of the rarest Argosy models in such fine condition from the original owners is impressive.

Enjoy that trailer! (FWIW, I'd get a set of front window protectors...)

Tom
Old 06-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1977 Argosy 24 - Rear Door

Greetings 247stream!

You have what is probably the most original example of the first generation Argosy 24 Rear Entry trailer. Depending upon source, the floorplan was offered for no more than two, three or four years. It is quite unusual to find any first generation Argosy with the Argosy Orange interior where the fabric upholstery isn't disintegrating. I purchased my 1978 Minuet with the same interior décor from the original owner, but the fabric was falling apart due to sun exposure. My suggestion would be to take plenty of detailed photos as I suspect that your Argosy is probably among the most original of its floorplan in existence.

Good luck with your Argosy!

Kevin

P. S.: I second the suggestion for a front window rock protector . . . those clear wing windows are almost impossible to replace.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
congratulations on your find, look at all the seating! you need to host a party! Dont tell anyone (cause I went to UGA, where red rules) but I love that funky orange
color.

And yes if at all possible get it under cover.
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
thanks everyone, i'm so happy! I was also SO scared driving it home without window protectors. window protectors and a permanent home are our top & first priorities, both of which i'm working on. (it is under a tarp type carport but we want a real structure) both items are taking longer than I want them to, argh.

I've been crawling all under, over, and in everything this week (on the inside) and i'm still amazed at its condition. the fabric is like brand new. the carpet took the worst beating but even it doesn't look 36 years old! she needs some maintenance inside and out but that's a piece of cake compared to rebuilding anything so i'm more than happy to do that work.

Rare? Airstream Inc says so...they didn't recognize the R in the VIN! I finally told the guy to go ask someone older than him. I told him it stood for the rear door from the first email...5 emails later he finally states that it stands for the rear door. duh! (I was asking for a/c placement)

We'll be at Falluminum in Oct and I can't wait to show it off there but i'm not sure if i'm going to be able to let anyone actually walk inside.

oh and as far as seating...I have taken a pic yet but the table between the beds opens up all the way to the end of the bed so combined with the center table we figure we can have a thanksgiving dinner in there!

i'm diggin' the orange too...it's different from what I've had
Old 06-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
Hamilton , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 247stream View Post
thanks everyone, i'm so happy! I was also SO scared driving it home without window protectors. window protectors and a permanent home are our top & first priorities, both of which i'm working on. (it is under a tarp type carport but we want a real structure) both items are taking longer than I want them to, argh.

I've been crawling all under, over, and in everything this week (on the inside) and i'm still amazed at its condition. the fabric is like brand new. the carpet took the worst beating but even it doesn't look 36 years old! she needs some maintenance inside and out but that's a piece of cake compared to rebuilding anything so i'm more than happy to do that work.

Rare? Airstream Inc says so...they didn't recognize the R in the VIN! I finally told the guy to go ask someone older than him. I told him it stood for the rear door from the first email...5 emails later he finally states that it stands for the rear door. duh! (I was asking for a/c placement)

We'll be at Falluminum in Oct and I can't wait to show it off there but i'm not sure if i'm going to be able to let anyone actually walk inside.

oh and as far as seating...I have taken a pic yet but the table between the beds opens up all the way to the end of the bed so combined with the center table we figure we can have a thanksgiving dinner in there!

i'm diggin' the orange too...it's different from what I've had
Cardboard and gorilla tape makes great temporary rock guards....
Savage68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
1977 Argosy 24 - Rear Door

Greetings 247stream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247stream View Post
There have been more nuances in Argosy VIN numbers surfacing of late. This is the first that I have heard in regards to the rear entry model Argosys having a special character. It makes sense, and can be added to two or three other nuances:
  • S rather than V in the place for plant of manufacture. This is one that Airstream hasn't confirmed to my knowledge, but the assumption has been that a few Argosys may have been produced in the California Plant resulting in the S for Cerritos, CA rather than the typical V for Versailles, Ohio.
  • R for Rear Entry floorplan. I must ask, does the R replace the D or T in the floorplan designation or is it an extra character in the VIN? The typical VIN for our first generation Argosys appears as follows: 20D8V#### where the first two characters identify the length, the third the main sleeping accommodation, the fourth the last digit of the model year, the fifth the plant of manufacture, and the last four the sequential production number.
  • A in the VIN. This one still hasn't been solved.
I am sure that your Argosy will provide many years of enjoyment!!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 06-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings 247stream!

There have been more nuances in Argosy VIN numbers surfacing of late. This is the first that I have heard in regards to the rear entry model Argosys having a special character. It makes sense, and can be added to two or three other nuances:
  • S rather than V in the place for plant of manufacture. This is one that Airstream hasn't confirmed to my knowledge, but the assumption has been that a few Argosys may have been produced in the California Plant resulting in the S for Cerritos, CA rather than the typical V for Versailles, Ohio.
  • R for Rear Entry floorplan. I must ask, does the R replace the D or T in the floorplan designation or is it an extra character in the VIN? The typical VIN for our first generation Argosys appears as follows: 20D8V#### where the first two characters identify the length, the third the main sleeping accommodation, the fourth the last digit of the model year, the fifth the plant of manufacture, and the last four the sequential production number.
  • A in the VIN. This one still hasn't been solved.
I am sure that your Argosy will provide many years of enjoyment!!

Kevin
Kevin:

A in an Argosy VIN denotes center-bath, rear-bed (as in 28A6Vxxxx for my '76 28' center-bath project.)

Old 06-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Greetings DKB_SATX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Kevin:

A in an Argosy VIN denotes center-bath, rear-bed (as in 28A6Vxxxx for my '76 28' center-bath project.)
Thank you for that update! I have notes and catalogs for most every model of the first generation Argosy travel trailers, but none mention anything other than the "standard" VIN configuration that recognizes the rear bath with either twin or double bed configurations. I will be adding this information to my database.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 06-23-2013, 05:17 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Mine is a twin bed but the R replaces the T/D option so that my vin reads 24R7Vxxxx.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
What a beautiful trailer. Congratulations on your find.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Chester , New Hampshire
Wow.

What a find! We always talk about how vintage airstreaming is like a time warp, but holy mackerel! Congrats on a turn-key operation, you're going to have a great time. Enjoy!

Meagan
1977 Argosy 28
WBCCI#1528
AIR#73368
TinyFixation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Thanks, so far I haven't really had anything to talk about with the trailer except that I'm still cleaning. No "uh-oh's", no "oh crap's" and it's been wonderful! (I've had enough of rebuilding trailers thank you very much.)

We don't generally camp in the summer which will be especially true this summer since the trailer doesn't have a/c (yet) so this summer will be spent getting her up to date with all her maintenance needs. Still working on a canvas rock guard with a marine upholsterer, still trying to get an appraisal, still trying blah blah blah...lots of time put in but other than cleaning very little seems to be getting accomplished. oh well, I have all summer to get her ready for the fall camping season. and I do enjoy camping in her even in the driveway.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
This weekend we drained the antifreeze and got to test the water lines. We have a leaky kitchen faucet, shower hose/line and the shower gate valve. I quick look shows lots of gunk in the kitchen faucet stems, a cracked shower hose connector and a hand tightened gate valve so those look like they'll be easy fixes. We also tested the fresh water and black tank tanks which checked out leak free. Today I'm hoping to get all those easy fixes done today so I can do another water line check. Still, we didn't get as much done as I would have hoped but I'm familiar with things being 2 steps forward and one back when it comes to trailer work.