Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
St. Thomas , Ontario
1977 Argosy 24' Double Bed

Well, this journey began 2 summers ago. I was in charge of a road reconstruction project, which lasted 5 months. One of the residents on the street, an elderly couple, had this 24' Argosy trailer sitting in their driveway. They used it that summer twice. I talked to them a few times and had mentioned that I had always admired the "white" Argosys and that if they were ever going to sell theirs, I would be interested. It was then, when I joined the "Air Forums" and read as much as I could over the next 2 years.

Well, back in May of this year, I was back on their street fixing some sod issues and I stopped by to see if they were still using their trailer. They said that they wanted one more trip and then they were ready to part with it. I said that I was still interested and we struck a deal. In the mean time, I had a 2011 Ford Ranger FX4 and I knew that I would need a larger truck to tow this trailer. I upgraded to a 2012 Ford F150 Lariat 4X4 with the EcoBoost engine.

We made the transaction last Friday and I brought her home. The drive through their city, down Hwy 401 to my city (about 30 km) was effortless with the new F150 and the EcoBoost. I have never towed anything bigger than a 12' U-Haul before and was worried about backing this sucker in to my driveway with the neighbours watching. Somehow, I managed it on my first attempt.

I will be the third owner of this 1977 24' Argosy. The first owner had it for 18 years, the eldery couple had it for 18 years and I turned 60 last month and I hope to use it for 18 years. We'll see how that goes. The first two owners took very good care of this trailer. Everything works, the stove, the fig, the air and the furnace. The brakes are good, the axles have been replaced and I might replace the tires next summer, even though the tread looks good. I think it has been serviced at CanAM in Lambeth. The carpet is 10 years old and still looks brand new. I hope to take it out for a weekend trip next month. Other than that I hope you like the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4940a.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	193188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5079a.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	193189  

Name:	IMG_5082a.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	193190   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5083a.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	193191  

Name:	IMG_5084a.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	193192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5085a.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	193193  

crunch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Nellysford , Virginia
Congratulations! Nice trailer. Don't ya love it when a plan comes together?
Sue
smbrewster54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
St. Thomas , Ontario
Yes I do, even though it was 2 years in the making. I can't stop going out and unlocking the door and just sitting in the trailer.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
St. Thomas , Ontario
My VIN is 24D7V1086 and I have the original 1977 Owner's Manual and the Registration of Ownership. The first owner was a gentleman from Kitchener, ON and it was purchased from Moore's Recreation Ltd in Whitmore Lake, MI on June 23, 1977. Cool.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Your trailer looks in excellent shape!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's beautiful.That's the good news. I have a 1973 Argosy. Airstreams are great! But Airstream doesn't make the appliances. To be safe, I would have the fridge looked at. And maybe be prepared to replace a few things before they go bad. I would replace the Univolt charger if it already hasn't been changed. I think that it was great that you got two years of research, before you got the trailer. Enjoy!
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Green and Soggy , Washington
Fantastic! We love our 75 '24 that we've had for almost 4 years. We've met so many nice people and built family memories; what a great trailer.

If I could do one thing over again, it would be to immediately, regardless the cost (and it's really not that much) replace the axles. Ours looked pretty good, until one (or both) completely collapsed on a recent 2500 mile trip (1200 miles from home wouldn't you know). The trailer, riding on nothing but the squish in the tires, got seriously beat up. Now we have a buncha rivets to repair, furniture to re-secure, and re-caulking to do - much more cost and time then preventative axle replacement...

EDIT: Of course you mention new axles. But I'll leave this here as a cautionary tale for other newbs!
chadloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Congratulations on your new purchase and welcome to the forums!

Yet, another Argosy trailer in Ontario, Canada...you gotta love it.

As you said, you will learn a lot about your trailer and meet good people here.

Good Luck with your 'New-to-you' trailer.

Chris
newsgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Awesome looking trailer and cool story behind it. Congrats and enjoy and thanks for the pictures.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
What a great find!
Just goes to show what great condition a little loving kindness can keep a trailer in.
Be sure to add yourself to the VIN thread.
Do you happen to have the information sheet glued into the cabinet above the fridge, like I do on mine? Its in French and English and we figure it is on trailer built specifically for the Canadian market.

Welcome!

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:36 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Congratulations on your new trailer, she's beautiful! Do be sure to get those incredible wrap around windows covered for their protection.

I have one opinion to add and you do as you choose but it's food for thought...I do not lock my trailer. If someone really wants in they are going to find a way and I'd rather them go through the door than break the lock or worse break a window.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
I have a 77 Argosy 24' double also. Yours looks great. As said before get or make some rock guards for the curved front windows, and also check the furnace. Mine has the dreaded Suburban furnace with the rubber crossover tube that leaks carbon monoxide and was recalled. There are other posts on here on how to tell which furnaces are in the recall. Brian
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
St. Thomas , Ontario
Thanks for all your comments and "things" to look out for. My wife wasn't 100% behind me on this purchase, not sure whether we should get back into camping, whether we should be towing a trailer at our ages (60+/-), whether we would have the time with a new grand-daughter born last month. She had a lot of concerns.

We had a barbaque on Friday night and ate it in the trailer with some wine by candle light and rocked to some old 60's tapes I found for the trailer's radio/tape deck.

Saturday night, we made the plunge and pulled out the double bed and zipped up a couple of sleeping bags. Hope the neighbours didn't see us stagger out of our trailer in our PJ's at 7:30 in the morning.

Today, my son and daughter-in-law brought our little Madison home for a visit and I set up the trailer with the awning out for them to see. I think we will have some nice memories, camping with Madison in the future. My son has already said that he wants the trailer when we are finished with it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5115a.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	193568  
Old 08-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Guelph , Ontario
That's a beautiful Argosy crunch27!

I'm really jealous that you have a working awning. Our's has an awning but due to a seized part we have been unable to open it up and see the condition it is in. We assume it will need replaced but we have our fingers crossed.

My husband and I had a pizza eating/crib playing party in our's! I love that you guys slept in your's!

Kelly
Kelmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
St. Thomas , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelmac View Post
That's a beautiful Argosy crunch27!

I'm really jealous that you have a working awning. Our's has an awning but due to a seized part we have been unable to open it up and see the condition it is in. We assume it will need replaced but we have our fingers crossed.

My husband and I had a pizza eating/crib playing party in our's! I love that you guys slept in your's!

Kelly
Thanks Kelly;

I see you are just down the road in Guelph. Where do you guys like RVing? We are going to try Long Point or Rondeau or the Pinery's before the end of the year, then a week in Algonquin next summer.

Good luck with your awning.

Gerry C.
with 3.5L EcoBoost
Old 08-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Guelph , Ontario
Hi Gerry,

We haven't been RV'ing yet :-) There is some work that needs to be done first. My husband and I camp a lot though and Algonquin is definitely our favourite spot. If you think of it, let me know where you end up going and if you enjoyed it. Hopefully next summer she will see more than just our driveway.

Take care,
Kelly
Kelmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
St. Thomas , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelmac View Post
Hi Gerry,

We haven't been RV'ing yet :-) There is some work that needs to be done first. My husband and I camp a lot though and Algonquin is definitely our favourite spot. If you think of it, let me know where you end up going and if you enjoyed it. Hopefully next summer she will see more than just our driveway.

Take care,
Kelly
Hi Kelly;

I found the thread for your trailer (and Steve's) and saw the work needed to get her back on the road. Others here have had similar projects with needy trailers, so they should be able to offer help and suggestions. Good luck.

The pictures you have posted shows there is potential. Keep us updated.

Gerry C.
with 3.5L EcoBoost