Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
AK1
1 Rivet Member
 
1977 Argosy 28
TAMPA , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 8
1977 Airstream Argosy 28'

My wife and I are the new owners of a '77 Argosy 28. We love it!

I'm hoping the forum can point me in the right directions on...

1.I need an owner's manual!
2. Painting the interior
3. LED light bulbs? (i.e. use the right watt, any other concerns?)

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
AK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
TinTin's Avatar
 
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,762
Images: 6
Argosy owners manuals are available from the Airstream, spiral bound. 48.00

There may be digital copies free somewhere on the web, but a quick search didn't turn anything up.

LED lights can be sourced from LED4RV.com. The owner Dan is very helpful, his products are high quality, and shipping is quick. If you pull examples of your existing bulbs, Dan will be able to tell you what you need.
__________________

__________________
Bob and Nancy
http://www.rwcphoto.smugmug.com
Cheer Up, Slow Down, Chill Out!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
Bex
4 Rivet Member
 
1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 447
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Have a really good look in your trailer, there might be paperwork hiding. I know a Guy that found a rifle in his!
__________________
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Gearheart's Avatar

 
1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 853
Images: 1
I found leds on evil bay. Some seller in the Phillipines. Price was very reasonable, free shipping too. Shipping took forever and I had almost accepted it as $$$ thrown away when they finally arrived.
__________________
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #5
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,401
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Before you resort to painting the interior (at least the curved walls) make sure you give a good cleaning a try. The vinyl-covered interior skins of my '75 Argosy still look very good, and the Argosy was thankfully more plain than an Airstream of the day, so it doesn't have big '70s flowers on the bathroom walls and such.

Now, the big plastic pieces that have yellowed over time can be visually improved with the spray paint for plastics, but be sure to cover EVERYTHING and set up plenty of ventilation if you paint them in situ.
__________________
David

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #6
Bex
4 Rivet Member
 
1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 447
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
I am going to experiment with plastidip in spring.
__________________
TAC AB-1

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
 
SuzyHomemakr's Avatar
 
1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 385
I just yesterday finished painting the interior of my 'Stream with Zolatone Flex. I am super-stoked about the results! This is a roll-on product, and very high quality. It's a nice texture, kinda almond-colored with little brown flecks. Many bits of vintage-trailer funkiness were hidden, the interior looks very smooth.

The process went like this:
I started off de-greasing with citrus cleaner. The PO must have had a Fryolator in there! I fixed up the gaps and holes with Big Stretch caulking. Then, two coats of Kilz 2 primer and a long cure time. Lots of masking and removal of interior things. The Zolatone base coat went next, a very easy-to-use high coverage thick paint. Couple days later, I rolled on two coats of the Topcoat with the roller that Zolatone supplied. Not as messy as typical texture painting, but if you go too fast, you get sprayed with paint.

I painted the ceiling center panel white with garage floor epoxy paint with sparkle media mixed in. Not sparkly enough! I'll have to re-do that. The exterior wall in the head was also painted white (no sparkles). When I calculated the paint, I didn't factor in those areas, to make sure I had enough of the custom Zolatone ordered. I wound up with twice as much paint as I needed!

Zolatone isn't cheap, but it was designed for high-traffic commercial applications, and was spec'd by Airstream in earlier models.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-21 12.49.22.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	227069   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-21 12.55.35.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	227070  

__________________
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11,832
The Argosy owner's manuals and LED replacement light bulbs are available from Airstream's online store.
__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
I just yesterday finished painting the interior of my 'Stream with Zolatone Flex. I am super-stoked about the results! This is a roll-on product, and very high quality. It's a nice texture, kinda almond-colored with little brown flecks. Many bits of vintage-trailer funkiness were hidden, the interior looks very smooth.

The process went like this:
I started off de-greasing with citrus cleaner. The PO must have had a Fryolator in there! I fixed up the gaps and holes with Big Stretch caulking. Then, two coats of Kilz 2 primer and a long cure time. Lots of masking and removal of interior things. The Zolatone base coat went next, a very easy-to-use high coverage thick paint. Couple days later, I rolled on two coats of the Topcoat with the roller that Zolatone supplied. Not as messy as typical texture painting, but if you go too fast, you get sprayed with paint.

I painted the ceiling center panel white with garage floor epoxy paint with sparkle media mixed in. Not sparkly enough! I'll have to re-do that. The exterior wall in the head was also painted white (no sparkles). When I calculated the paint, I didn't factor in those areas, to make sure I had enough of the custom Zolatone ordered. I wound up with twice as much paint as I needed!

Zolatone isn't cheap, but it was designed for high-traffic commercial applications, and was spec'd by Airstream in earlier models.
Makes it look more like an airliner or vintage bus-
__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:47 AM   #10
AK1
1 Rivet Member
 
1977 Argosy 28
TAMPA , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex View Post
Have a really good look in your trailer, there might be paperwork hiding. I know a Guy that found a rifle in his!
Ha, that's a great idea!
__________________
AK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #11
AK1
1 Rivet Member
 
1977 Argosy 28
TAMPA , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Makes it look more like an airliner or vintage bus-
Interesting, I'll look it up. Thanks!
__________________
AK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #12
AK1
1 Rivet Member
 
1977 Argosy 28
TAMPA , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
I just yesterday finished painting the interior of my 'Stream with Zolatone Flex. I am super-stoked about the results! This is a roll-on product, and very high quality. It's a nice texture, kinda almond-colored with little brown flecks. Many bits of vintage-trailer funkiness were hidden, the interior looks very smooth.

The process went like this:
I started off de-greasing with citrus cleaner. The PO must have had a Fryolator in there! I fixed up the gaps and holes with Big Stretch caulking. Then, two coats of Kilz 2 primer and a long cure time. Lots of masking and removal of interior things. The Zolatone base coat went next, a very easy-to-use high coverage thick paint. Couple days later, I rolled on two coats of the Topcoat with the roller that Zolatone supplied. Not as messy as typical texture painting, but if you go too fast, you get sprayed with paint.

I painted the ceiling center panel white with garage floor epoxy paint with sparkle media mixed in. Not sparkly enough! I'll have to re-do that. The exterior wall in the head was also painted white (no sparkles). When I calculated the paint, I didn't factor in those areas, to make sure I had enough of the custom Zolatone ordered. I wound up with twice as much paint as I needed!

Zolatone isn't cheap, but it was designed for high-traffic commercial applications, and was spec'd by Airstream in earlier models.
Question... How did you go about painting the sliding window covers (moon/sun windows... not sure what to call them)?
__________________
AK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #13
AK1
1 Rivet Member
 
1977 Argosy 28
TAMPA , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
I found leds on evil bay. Some seller in the Phillipines. Price was very reasonable, free shipping too. Shipping took forever and I had almost accepted it as $$$ thrown away when they finally arrived.
How did they turn out when you installed them?
__________________
AK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master
 
GeocamperAS's Avatar
 
1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 725
Images: 37
If your going LED's, check out LED4RV.COM
Lots of talk here on the forums about the second to none customer service. Dan at led4rv.com knows his stuff and will answer phone calls.
__________________

__________________
Judging a person does not define who they are, it defines who YOU are.
GeocamperAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1977 Excella 500 Coastal Camper :: 1977 Airstream Excella 500 Excella77 Airstream Registry Discussions 0 08-23-2014 03:18 PM
Acoustic Argosy :: 1977 Airstream Argosy Minuet Janet H Airstream Registry Discussions 1 08-23-2014 12:28 PM
1977 31' Sovereign :: 1977 Airstream Sovereign judflor Airstream Registry Discussions 0 05-23-2012 11:15 AM
1977 land yacht 31 vs 1977 argosy minuet 20 joe77 General Interior Topics 3 06-30-2009 09:51 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.