Old 04-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
Birdie Momma
1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
any news on what happened with progressive?

'57 Overlander | '56 Flying Cloud | '51 Spartanette
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #16

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Wouldn't shortening it by 3 inches accomplish the same thing?
Airstream's docs appear to indicate that it's 7" narrower (I had earlier said 6). It wouldn't work to cut off the width at the ends, since the compound-curved portion at the corners would be (hopefully) the same and it would just be a difference in width of the less-complex curved part in the center. I have no idea whether the end profiles are identical for a Minuet or not, you'd want to make 100% certain it is before removing the dented original one. I still think that if the Minuet's dented cap can be pulled out by a bodyshop that would be less expensive than salvaging one from a full-sized Argosy, modifying it and putting it on the Minuet.

— David

Il Carriaggio — 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Go see a body shop with it. Altering an end cap is going to be a major job.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
1966 26' Overlander
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Indianapolis , Indiana
Question Update...

So I was able to convince Progressive that their offer was unacceptable and they agreed - while they still don't seem to understand how length of trailer dictates different pricing they did find 2 different 22' Argosy trailers from 1979 that they used for comparison and averaged the price bringing back an offer nearly at a what we paid for it (even after deductible) while still waiving the salvage price on the trailer (guessing in their regular world 22' of vinyl trailer is about the same as 19'

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery on if this is probably as good as it's going to get?

For any future readers of this post I just did some homework in my reply to my adjuster that based on the trade in pricing provided by 2 different Airstream dealers I figured out they were probably using NADA and that ALL 1977 Airstreams had the same price in the NADA and that seemed odd since not all 1979 Ford vehicles had the same price. To further illustrate my point I submitted a Pre-Owned 2004 Airstream Safari currently at Sale Pending status with Arbogast RVs in Ohio (an authorized Airstream Dealer). It has a marked down price of $29,977 while at NADA they list the following: Average retail base unit at $5880 - that is a mighty wide chasm to bridge. I think that pretty much negated the NADA pricing and the dealer responses forcing them to figure out a better way to determine the value.
IndianaJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member
1966 26' Overlander
Indianapolis , Indiana
Thanks Frank - that's the direction we're leaning at this point.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
So, they "waived" salvage? Does that mean you keep your old one? If so, I suspect they quickly realized that CoPart does not want your little Argy. The fact is, the costs they will likely incur as a result of having to manage the salvage exceeds your deductible. If you are 100% happy with their latest offer take it. If not, push them a little harder.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member
1966 26' Overlander
Indianapolis , Indiana
Yes, we'd keep the old one and then be able to roll the $ into repair or replace. Essentially it's now a calculation game to figure out which route runs better in the end. Time to get some estimates from a body shop on repairs.

"The deeper I dig into this, the more crap I discover"
-unknown outhouse digger