Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
1976 24' Argosy.

Ok here goes. Hope this ok. If not mods just delete it and I will try to make it right. Thank-you so much for having as much interest in my project as I do. The help here already has been beyond comprehension.

Do they Make A Lens Cover for it?

Antenna? Anyone will Work? Suprised no hail dents

Plug OUTSIDE by front Door

Back of Fridge/From Outside

The Badge.

HAd the trailer rewired with safety brake and hitch.12-31-09

Should this be replaced? Kinda Loose.

What does it mean by cubside? Would this be it?

Light up althoug not automatically. I Don't know if the thermost will cut the gas off at a certain temp. How do I Check that?

Ain't she Sexy?

225/75/15. Can I put small moons on this wheel? If I can gonna paint it black 1st ....right?

Looking towards the front

Standing in Shower taking Photo

Gonna paint the sink.

Gonna Primer the shower Wall and put a Water resistant paint/sealer on that wall....??????

EWWWW. Not Corroded just faded, gonna get a paint job also. Tough as tile.

Bunks Down = Couches

Bunks up sleeps 4.

Bunks Down= Couches

Primer then Textured paper

After repaint

After make over....Still looking for a model number so I can find a Handle.

EWWWW, is right, C-YA

Hope this doesn't fall when I remove old fridge. GOnna try and keep the green.

New Extinguisher added

Gonna replace both Sink and Faucet.

The Sink/ New Levelor Drapes

Dinette/Bed. New Curains and Cusion covers

The front window was out for a long time I understand. Someone put Plexiglass as a substitiute. It's still leaking. Thursday a glass company is coimg out to put in new Tempered glass and re-seal it.

Dinette again

Will the L-100 Special cure this? Someone put a copper handle the temporarly. It works but doesn't lock

Gonna re screen it. Looking for the alminum piece that slides to close the hole.

Front Door Open but safty Latched

I dont really understand how to get the inside fixed, Outside looks ok...But No KEY.

Thanks for looking

Truly greatful,
Shane
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
Ok here goes. Hope this ok. If not mods just delete it and I will try to make it right. Thank-you so much for having as much interest in my project as I do. The help here already has been beyond comprehension.

Truly greatful,
Shane
Shane.

You have a ton of work ahead of you.

First, it looks like their may be some mold in a few places. If that's the case, then gutting the interior, then removing at least all the lower interior panels, will allow you to correct that issue.

It looks like the entrance door is warped. The TV antenna is gone.

It also appears that some previous owner did repairs to the coach, with K-Mart as the sources for parts.

It's wise, to secure the interior from exterior water leaks, like door and window gaskets. The sewer vent pipe gaskets only last 2 to 3 years.

After the coach is secured from water leaks, now you can take time to address the other issues, as your time and budget permit.

The coupler was replaced with a horse trailer type. NOT GOOD. Why it was replaced, is anyones guess, but mine would be that the original coupler was damaged.

Airstream service manuals are available, that you could still use as a reference, even though you have an Argosy, as many of the systems are identical.

It also appears that perhaps the trailer was close to salt water. If that's the case, you will need to drop the entire underbelly, and inspect the frame for rust, and hopefully, the frame is still intact. If part of the frame is badly rusted, you will have another project to deal with.

Make a list of all the things you find wrong, and then find out the costs to correct them, before you spend money on things that could wait.

I would guess, that because of the obvious lack of proper care, that the appliances all need overhauling, or replacing.

You should remove the furnace, get it on a bench, and disassemble it. That will also tell you how the previous owner took care of, or ignored routine PM.

Check the brakes and axles out, especially if the coach was parked for an extended period of time.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Shane.

You have a ton of work ahead of you.

First, it looks like their may be some mold in a few places. If that's the case, then gutting the interior, then removing at least all the lower interior panels, will allow you to correct that issue.

It looks like the entrance door is warped. The TV antenna is gone.

It also appears that some previous owner did repairs to the coach, with K-Mart as the sources for parts.

It's wise, to secure the interior from exterior water leaks, like door and window gaskets. The sewer vent pipe gaskets only last 2 to 3 years.

After the coach is secured from water leaks, now you can take time to address the other issues, as your time and budget permit.

The coupler was replaced with a horse trailer type. NOT GOOD. Why it was replaced, is anyones guess, but mine would be that the original coupler was damaged.

Airstream service manuals are available, that you could still use as a reference, even though you have an Argosy, as many of the systems are identical.

It also appears that perhaps the trailer was close to salt water. If that's the case, you will need to drop the entire underbelly, and inspect the frame for rust, and hopefully, the frame is still intact. If part of the frame is badly rusted, you will have another project to deal with.

Make a list of all the things you find wrong, and then find out the costs to correct them, before you spend money on things that could wait.

I would guess, that because of the obvious lack of proper care, that the appliances all need overhauling, or replacing.

You should remove the furnace, get it on a bench, and disassemble it. That will also tell you how the previous owner took care of, or ignored routine PM.

Check the brakes and axles out, especially if the coach was parked for an extended period of time.

Andy
Andy, Thanks for the help.
The front boards are coming out this spring where the dinette is and are gonna be replaced. If I see more water damage from that point I will continue. I have pulled the seats in the twin and looked under them. Wood is dry and in good order on both sides. I did drive the trailer to the wiring place in the rain last week and noticed a tiny bit of water coming from 1 wheel well. Nothing a tissue couldn't soak up. This was while driving in a downpour and heavy puddles of standing water. The only leak then would appeear the issue from the front replacement plexiglass window that was put in. As far as I know the front glass was gone for awhile. Anyway, the glass company is coimg out this Thurs to put in a new tempered piece and seal the wiindow where the water has come in . Like stated earlier this appears to be the only rotted area. I have looked at 90 percent of the floor and it appears solid.

Entrance door closes firmly, seals are worn and some completely gone on the screen door also, I will order them for the screen and door. As stated above, I have driven this in the hard rain and no leak at the door whatsoever even with missing or bad seals.

From what I understand No saltwater at all. East Texas. Lotta rain. Why do you say salt water?

Ordered a manual already, on it's way.

Stove Works a oven Works. Water heater lights up just don't know if it will maintain a temp. Fridge gets cold but putting in a new one anyway. Water pump works amazing. Ac/Heater on roof less than 5 years old. Blows Cold and HOT.

Not Concerned with The furnace at all, Not going to do too much during the winter as far as camping. If it gets chilly and we have shore hook up we'll just bring a space heater. plus our a/c unit has a low heat setting and it works great like a lot of other things on this trailer. Whats works great is Lights, Plugs, 12, cigarrette lighter in the kitchen and bathroom. Even the outdoor light works. Radio was working and I replaced it with a Kenwood CD player. Speakers sound new. Plumbing , minus a small leak that needs to be soldered is great. Already had the brakes and axles checked, works good and passed inspection.

I had the trailer re-wired and had the "Horse type" trailer installed 3 days ago. The other one was broke. I like this kind of hook up. It was my choice.Whats"NOT GOOD" about it? I have pulled several horse trailers in my life and have never had any issues. Worked on a ranch for over 12 years. I trusted that kinda pull with more money for horses than most travel trailers cost these days. Please enlighten me.

Not to pick a fight but did you like ANYTHING on my old Argosy?

SHane
Old 01-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy, Thanks for the help.
The front boards are coming out this spring where the dinette is and are gonna be replaced. If I see more water damage from that point I will continue. I have pulled the seats in the twin and looked under them. Wood is dry and in good order on both sides. I did drive the trailer to the wiring place in the rain last week and noticed a tiny bit of water coming from 1 wheel well. Nothing a tissue couldn't soak up. This was while driving in a downpour and heavy puddles of standing water. The only leak then would appeear the issue from the front replacement plexiglass window that was put in. As far as I know the front glass was gone for awhile. Anyway, the glass company is coimg out this Thurs to put in a new tempered piece and seal the wiindow where the water has come in . Like stated earlier this appears to be the only rotted area. I have looked at 90 percent of the floor and it appears solid.

Entrance door closes firmly, seals are worn and some completely gone on the screen door also, I will order them for the screen and door. As stated above, I have driven this in the hard rain and no leak at the door whatsoever even with missing or bad seals.

From what I understand No saltwater at all. East Texas. Lotta rain. Why do you say salt water?

Ordered a manual already, on it's way.

Stove Works a oven Works. Water heater lights up just don't know if it will maintain a temp. Fridge gets cold but putting in a new one anyway. Water pump works amazing. Ac/Heater on roof less than 5 years old. Blows Cold and HOT.

Not Concerned with The furnace at all, Not going to do too much during the winter as far as camping. If it gets chilly and we have shore hook up we'll just bring a space heater. plus our a/c unit has a low heat setting and it works great like a lot of other things on this trailer. Whats works great is Lights, Plugs, 12, cigarrette lighter in the kitchen and bathroom. Even the outdoor light works. Radio was working and I replaced it with a Kenwood CD player. Speakers sound new. Plumbing , minus a small leak that needs to be soldered is great. Already had the brakes and axles checked, works good and passed inspection.

I had the trailer re-wired and had the "Horse type" trailer installed 3 days ago. The other one was broke. I like this kind of hook up. It was my choice.Whats"NOT GOOD" about it? I have pulled several horse trailers in my life and have never had any issues. Worked on a ranch for over 12 years. I trusted that kinda pull with more money for horses than most travel trailers cost these days. Please enlighten me.

Not to pick a fight but did you like ANYTHING on my old Argosy?

SHane
I don't know what the weight rating is for that coupler. Also, I think you will find that it will be more difficult, to hook up a load equalizing hitch.

The rust behind the reefer and in the water heater, suggests possible salt water.

The basic trailer looks great. Needs a good bit of TLC, but most of them do. Only trying to help you with some of the obvious issues.

Where abouts in "Piney wood country"

Many years ago I used to fly my plane into Lufkin, and have my inlaws pick us up and go to Huntington.

Andy
Old 01-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Shane,

I think he liked the fact that you bought an Airstream. I don't think Andy was being mean-just critical in a good way. For him to be able to tell all taht just from a few pictures is amazing!! If posted pics of the way mine looks, he would probably condem it!! Mine looks Way worse than yours. Remember, it's just an opinion and advice. Take it for what it's worth and how it can help you. I am following your saga, as I am working on a '75 24 footer. Keep the posts comin'.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Understand that Andy is an expert, but also understand that he is an expert with the money and equipment to fix anything that would ever be wrong with an old Argosy/Airstream. As the owner of two of these beast, both Argosy and Airstream, I understand how you must be feeling right now. I never had the expertise, money or time to do a complete rennovation on my 78 Argosy. Sure there could have been rust above the belly pan and something lurking behind the wall panels; however, I had to be truthful with myself and did what I could. My trailer came from ElPaso and I never believed it had loads of rust, but I did find rust on the tongue and sanded it off and primed and painted it. I checked the axels, they looked good to me. I took the trailer to an expert (Griffith in OKC) and he said it looked good to him. I had the gas lines, electric lines, brakes, shocks and tires either replaced or checked out......then I went camping. Had a cat heater and used electric heaters since I felt the furnace was one of those recalled years ago. Put on a new A/C unit and had a great time with the old boy. I painted and reupolstered and did cosmetic work, and the 78 never let me down. I have to agree that your hitch looks odd and inadequate. You need equalizers and a sway bar and a stronger hitch to give you better control and safety, but just don't get overwhelmed with all the things that COULD be fixed on your trailer. By the way, I made my own outside door light cover out of a pice of heavy clear plastic. Fix the safety and leak issues and go have some fun this Spring.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
_

. , .
post questions OR photos and take what follows like an adult.

the unit needs a LOT of work, that's a suspicion suggested by the many other questions asked so far...

and confirmed by these pix.

some might like it exactly as it is OR like the fact that it needs so much attention...

to be busy with fixes is a good thing 2 some folks, who love fixin' things.

that coupler is a problem IF this trailer is gonna be towed at all...

OR used with weight distribution gear.

also the safety chains appear grossly inadequate AND should not be twisted as shown in the pix.

best'o luck, have fun, spend money, buy parts and so on...

or just go camping:

and who doesn't LOVE lime green or pale avocado ?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Fits A-frame. 50° angle. Easy-operating latch. Heavy duty construction for industrial, travel, boat and horse trailers. 16in.L overall. 2in. punched hole for parking jack, not included. Ideal for trailers with tandem 3500-lb. axles.

Looks like im in specs. I just had it put on. Should I change it?

280590 2 5/16" Low-ProfilePainted 12,500 lbs

http://www.kmtparts.com/catalog.asp?...showprevnext=1

2 5/16 BTW

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/t...questions.html

Shane
Old 01-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Bulldog 7000-Lb. GVWR V-Type Coupler

Fits A-frame. 50° angle. Easy-operating latch. Heavy duty construction for industrial, travel, boat and horse trailers. 16in.L overall. 2in. punched hole for parking jack, not included. For 2in. ball, not included. Ideal for trailers with tandem 3500-lb. axles.

Looks like im in specs. I just had it put on. Should I change it?

Bulldog 7000-Lb. GVWR V-Type Coupler | Towing Couplers | Northern Tool + Equipment

Shane
Shane.

The rating on the 2 inch ball, is 5000 pounds.

Keep in mind, when you hit bumps, that weight, momentarily, increases.

That's why RV manufacturers changed to 2 5/16, about 40 years ago.

Change the coupler back to the 2 5/16 size ball. Your Argosy will be much safer.

Andy
Old 01-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel View Post
Understand that Andy is an expert, but also understand that he is an expert with the money and equipment to fix anything that would ever be wrong with an old Argosy/Airstream. As the owner of two of these beast, both Argosy and Airstream, I understand how you must be feeling right now. I never had the expertise, money or time to do a complete rennovation on my 78 Argosy. Sure there could have been rust above the belly pan and something lurking behind the wall panels; however, I had to be truthful with myself and did what I could. My trailer came from ElPaso and I never believed it had loads of rust, but I did find rust on the tongue and sanded it off and primed and painted it. I checked the axels, they looked good to me. I took the trailer to an expert (Griffith in OKC) and he said it looked good to him. I had the gas lines, electric lines, brakes, shocks and tires either replaced or checked out......then I went camping. Had a cat heater and used electric heaters since I felt the furnace was one of those recalled years ago. Put on a new A/C unit and had a great time with the old boy. I painted and reupolstered and did cosmetic work, and the 78 never let me down. I have to agree that your hitch looks odd and inadequate. You need equalizers and a sway bar and a stronger hitch to give you better control and safety, but just don't get overwhelmed with all the things that COULD be fixed on your trailer. By the way, I made my own outside door light cover out of a pice of heavy clear plastic. Fix the safety and leak issues and go have some fun this Spring.
I kinda got that impression from the first post about "Andy".At first I was thinking it was a sales thing, then he didn't even mention the lock. I thought sooner or later he would say he has a replacement for it. But that comment never came. So I kept reading. Not one positive statement.... It';s all good. Believe it or not I have a brother-in-law that lives in Corona, Calif and was in the RV business,. I know the type. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a different breed. I usually don't take stuff lying down and am a newbie here. I posted pics for all comments. I know this trailer needs love. That I will provide.Maybe eventually it will be up to Andy's specs.....LOL

Have a great New Year Weekend.

P.S. Andy, Got her in MT. Vernon, Texas

Shane
Old 01-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I kinda got that impression from the first post about "Andy".At first I was thinking it was a sales thing, then he didn't even mention the lock. I thought sooner or later he would say he has a replacement for it. But that comment never came. So I kept reading. Not one positive statement.... It';s all good. Believe it or not I have a brother-in-law that lives in Corona, Calif and was in the RV business,. I know the type. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a different breed. I usually don't take stuff lying down and am a newbie here. I posted pics for all comments. I know this trailer needs love. That I will provide.Maybe eventually it will be up to Andy's specs.....LOL

Have a great New Year Weekend.

P.S. Andy, Got her in MT. Vernon, Texas

Shane
Shane.

I try to let owners, especially new owners, what may need attention to their new addiction.

Surprisingly, unless someone is familiar with the Airstream/Argosy products, they may not realize the importance of some of the things that go wrong.

I have enjoyed helping thousands of owners, over the course of 43 1/2 years, "how to better enjoy their trailer."

It's not a matter of selling, but it is a matter of sharing knowledge, not knowing how much a new owner may know about the trailer, is always the problem.

There are also a couple of other safety issues, that I didn't even mention.

Andy
Old 01-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I think you will see that you have to leave your emotions at the door when you talk about your trailer, "THEPILL".

Pride and emotions have their place, but on here, they won't get you the help you say you seek.

After all, it's just a mechanical device, not a family member, right? It is what it is, you don't need to defend it to us.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #13
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Shane.

The rating on the 2 inch ball, is 5000 pounds.

Keep in mind, when you hit bumps, that weight, momentarily, increases.

That's why RV manufacturers changed to 2 5/16, about 40 years ago.

Change the coupler back to the 2 5/16 size ball. Your Argosy will be much safer.

Andy

Andy, It already is and has been 2 5/16 on the NEW" Configuation.....
Thanks
SHane
Old 01-02-2010, 11:07 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Nice trailer. We are a little biased, as it's almost the same as ours! We went through a lot of similar issues getting ours up to snuff. I found that reading the forums and seeing how others fixed the issues was a great help, and I could pick and choose the stuff I liked. I think Andy's main concern is trying to tell us how to be safe without appearing to be pushy. About the door lock, I used Inland's aftermarket retrofit kit, it worked great and saved about $400 over the OEM replacement. They also sell the plastic slider that covers up the hole in the screen door. For the outside light, I made a card board template, and cut out a replacement from a textured clear panel from an old fluorescent light fixture, took about 30 minutes total. We've had lots of fun with our Argosy over the last few years, and can't wait to hear about your adventures!

Sean & Sharon
1975 24' Argosy
West Linn, OR
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
new hitch

Shane,

What Andy is trying to tell you is that you have no sway control with that bulldog hitch and no load leveling capaabilities as he mentioned. Either are not safe. To put it bluntly , if we were caravanning together I would make sure you were behind me. That hitch is great for a utility trailer or horse trailer-got one of each, but there is a reason they did not put them on travel trailers. One of which is that it is against federal regulations. There are some nasty pictures on here of trailer wrecks with the right equipment. Remember, your family is traveling with you. Don't endanger them.

Be smart, Be SAFE, and change the hitch!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:00 AM   #16
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
Shane,

What Andy is trying to tell you is that you have no sway control with that bulldog hitch and no load leveling capaabilities as he mentioned. Either are not safe. To put it bluntly , if we were caravanning together I would make sure you were behind me. That hitch is great for a utility trailer or horse trailer-got one of each, but there is a reason they did not put them on travel trailers. One of which is that it is against federal regulations. There are some nasty pictures on here of trailer wrecks with the right equipment. Remember, your family is traveling with you. Don't endanger them.

Be smart, Be SAFE, and change the hitch!

I dont mind being the last in line , that way you guys don't get hit by all the pieces falling off my trailer either.

SHane
Old 01-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
At least you still have a sense of humor after gettin' beat up a little. Keep up the good work and the posts comin' BTW, my 75 has a subrban stove in it that I'm going to replace-too rusted up- if the habdle will fit yours you can have it. Just send me the dimensions and I wil measure it.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:15 AM   #18
_

. , .
it's not part of this thread, but the o.p. is towing with a newer 3/4 ton truck as i recall.

so w/d gear may not be essential except to gain the sway control...

which MANY do deem essential.

the axle position and loads and tongue mass and shape are DIFFERENT for livestock trailers from rvs.

while many don't use rv style balls and hitches on their precious critter haulers...

rvz are different.

use the right stuff or not, and let us all know how it goes...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #19
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
At least you still have a sense of humor after gettin' beat up a little. Keep up the good work and the posts comin' BTW, my 75 has a subrban stove in it that I'm going to replace-too rusted up- if the habdle will fit yours you can have it. Just send me the dimensions and I wil measure it.
14.5 inches I believe from center hole to center hole.
WOW THANK YOU.

Shane