Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Huntersville , North Carolina
1975 26' Argosy

Found this one on craigslist and was wondering what you guys would think a reasonable price would be. I'm new to the Argosy line of Airstream and know little about them. How difficult are they to repair and refurbish? Thanks! Here is what the guy emailed me back- still waiting on pics to see if it's worth driving to look at:

I will try to email pix later tonight
br in rear, 2 bunks in middle
kitchen and sitting area in front
i don't know how many owners
riveted, beige ( twinkie)
couple of minor vent leaks in roof during heavy downpour
one weak area in floor of shower
i put in a 12 gal electric hot h2o tank to replace gas 6 gal, wiped out one bunk area !
toilet and bath sink each have a minor leak but very functional, I lived in it for 6 months June thru Dec
hope to get pics to send soon
ashbongo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbongo10 View Post
Found this one on craigslist and was wondering what you guys would think a reasonable price would be. I'm new to the Argosy line of Airstream and know little about them. How difficult are they to repair and refurbish? Thanks! Here is what the guy emailed me back- still waiting on pics to see if it's worth driving to look at:

I will try to email pix later tonight
br in rear, 2 bunks in middle
kitchen and sitting area in front
i don't know how many owners
riveted, beige ( twinkie)
couple of minor vent leaks in roof during heavy downpour
one weak area in floor of shower
i put in a 12 gal electric hot h2o tank to replace gas 6 gal, wiped out one bunk area !
toilet and bath sink each have a minor leak but very functional, I lived in it for 6 months June thru Dec
hope to get pics to send soon
A reasonable price for this...............out of context discription by the seller?

You don't get dents in the roof from rain, etc.

Maybe $500.00 at best, and then only if you have a ton of time and "money" to rebuild a far less than desireable older Airstream product.

Usually, but not always, Airstream and Argosy trailers and motorhomes, that are listed on E-bay or Craigs list, more often than not, is a good place "NOT" to buy from, as there is a ton of misrepresentation and outright fraud associated with all to many of those listings.

How do I know?

We see many of those buyers that come in smiling, until they see what it would cost to correct the trailers problems, which is very detailed, in writing.

Be cautious.

Remember, buyer beware.

Take your time shopping around.

Many others can give you some good guidance on this Forums.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Another Argosy find

Now I'm in a pickle. I've found another Craigslist Argosy and it looks to be solid and in great shape. 1972 26' Argosy. No leaks, no weak spots, no dings, the only flaws are the underskirt on the outside is all dented and it is completely stripped on the exterior- ready for paint. I'm also told the awning is intact and in fair condition. The interior has been re-floored, upholstery recovered, new curtains, everything else original. Now, the owner doesn't have any of the exterior lights which were removed by previous owner to paint; and, the current owner has never had at a campsite, so is unsure if holding tanks, gas (heat,stove, water heater, etc) work. They do have all the exterior emblems/nameplates and new tires(although not original rims). I'm trying to find a time to drive 1 1/2 hours to see this in person, but the pictures look great. What would you give for this? They're asking $3,000- which I won't give them, but what should I hit them back with? I'm willing to pay $2,000 but that's just because I really want it. What is reasonable with the need to get out the dings, paint, and light it up?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Found this one on craigslist and was wondering what you guys would think a reasonable price would be. I'm new to the Argosy line of Airstream and know little about them. How difficult are they to repair and refurbish? Thanks!

They are no different than any other Airstream except for the paint and the wrap around windows. Ours is about the same layout as most of the Safaris I've seen of the same age.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Now I'm in a pickle. I've found another Craigslist Argosy and it looks to be solid and in great shape. 1972 26' Argosy. No leaks, no weak spots, no dings, the only flaws are the underskirt on the outside is all dented and it is completely stripped on the exterior- ready for paint. I'm also told the awning is intact and in fair condition. The interior has been re-floored, upholstery recovered, new curtains, everything else original. Now, the owner doesn't have any of the exterior lights which were removed by previous owner to paint; and, the current owner has never had at a campsite, so is unsure if holding tanks, gas (heat,stove, water heater, etc) work. They do have all the exterior emblems/nameplates and new tires(although not original rims). I'm trying to find a time to drive 1 1/2 hours to see this in person, but the pictures look great. What would you give for this? They're asking $3,000- which I won't give them, but what should I hit them back with? I'm willing to pay $2,000 but that's just because I really want it. What is reasonable with the need to get out the dings, paint, and light it up?
Refloored??

That says the trailer had "BAD" water leaks.

Are they all corrected???

More importantly, since the coach had water leaks, were the interior walls removed, to check for mold???

If not, then that "MUST" be done, so that you don't have a health hazard around you.

Dings and dents. That tells me considerable abuse.

If I were you, I would also thoroughly check out the suspension system, which can be done in 30 seconds, with no tools.

The pluses you state are nice, but the minuses far exceed the pluses.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Refloored??

That says the trailer had "BAD" water leaks.

Are they all corrected???

More importantly, since the coach had water leaks, were the interior walls removed, to check for mold???

If not, then that "MUST" be done, so that you don't have a health hazard around you.

Andy
Maybe they didn't like the old flooring...It could be that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Dings and dents. That tells me considerable abuse.

Andy
The Argy is 38 years old. This could be wear and tear of being on the road. Post some photos.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Hi,

Without pictures it would be hard to give advice or help you. How bad do you want it and do you have the time and money to put into it?
We have owned an argosy and loved it.

There are several places to buy parts, and you would get help and advice on the forum. Go look at it with an open mind, read threads on the forum and then make up your mind. Good luck

Marie
Old 01-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The dents and dings on the lower pieces, unless they are big honkin' dents, are probably from normal use, towing on dirt roads. The tires kick up stones and rocks, denting the aluminum. You can fill the bigger ones with Bondo, just like a car, and paint over them. The clearance lights are pretty inexpensive, maybe $5 each or so for the parts, and a couple of dollars more than that for LED clearance lights.
If the seller cannot demonstrate that the appliances work, you must assume they do not. The water heater could have frozen and cracked, as could the water lines. The two most expensive appliances are the air conditioner and fridge, both can cost a thousand dollars or more to replace, depending on what you get, and whether you install them, or get a pro to do it.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
If the dents are in the banana wrap, you can take it off and hammer them out. We did that with ours and you can't even tell there were any, after they were repainted. Taking off the banana wrap would be a good idea anyway as you can then get to and seal the place where the sides and floor are joined, which is a big source for water leaks to the floor, and also seal behind the trim rail that goes over the seam.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wow- Thanks so much for the info and help! I've got some pics the owner sent me (she also has the original title and all the original manuals), but I'm at work now so I'll have to wait until I'm at home to try and put them up here. I appreciate all the advice, as I'm flying blind here and have no idea what I'm getting myself into!!
Old 01-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Argosy 1972 26' pics

Let's see if this works...Pics:

Arrrrgh!! Darn work computer blocks and filters!

To be continued...when I get home...
Old 01-10-2010, 06:01 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Ooooops, wrong thread!

I finally realized I was posting in the Motorhome section instead of a trailer section....duh!!! Anyway, uploaded some pics and placed everything in the trailer section where they belong! Any opinions of price worthiness would be appreciated!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I finally realized I was posting in the Motorhome section instead of a trailer section....duh!!! Anyway, uploaded some pics and placed everything in the trailer section where they belong! Any opinions of price worthiness would be appreciated!
The newest upload in the photo section was January 4, and a search by user name shows no photos uploaded by you. Where, exactly, are you putting them?
Also, this is the Argosy trailer section, so the thread is in the right place.
You'll get the hang of it, it took me a few days to figure everything out when I first started, too.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Ahhh, yes. I placed the pics over under the "dead thread" to give the PILL some company last night. I'm a bit all over the place!!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Ahhh, yes. I placed the pics over under the "dead thread" to give the PILL some company last night. I'm a bit all over the place!!
Here is a link to that thread. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...tml#post792304.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy 24
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Smile Argosy

I might have something you could be interested in. We have a 28' Argosy that is almost finished. New tile, new mattresses, new Gouch padding and cover, new curtains. replaced the ref with elec ref and microwave. We are looking for a permanant lot in Fl. So we might use it for the lot or we might buy one with a unit already on the lot. If what we buy has an airstream already there then we will be selling the 28' Argosy. We will be keeping the 24' Argosy to use closer to home. If anyone has any ideas for us to look in Fl at least half way down please let us know.
stillcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
Awww, look at you adding a link to my little thread! Ain't that so sweet! It's been a while since I've hung out on a forum, and I've forgotten all those neat little tricks!

Looks like we will be driving up to look at the trailer sometime this week. Wanted to go tomorrow, but daughter's gymnastics is holding us up. Hmph. Will keep y'all updated as to whether or not I become an Argosy owner!
Old 01-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Oh, stillcove- let me know what happens with the Argosy as it develops. I may, or may not, have found one to call mine up in Winston so I could be interested if it falls through. Not sure about a 28'. Here I was thinking that I hadn't planned on a 26' either...!
Old 01-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #19
lascassas_camper

1975 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Gatlinburg , Tennessee
I paid around $1800.00 for my 1975 Argosy 24 (In reality 20'). Plus registration and license plates, full coverage insurance costs me $13.00 a month with State Farm on a S.F. estimated replacement cost of $5500.00.

The prices are estimates, I cant remember the exact costs without looking them up.

It had no interior except for the bathroom, which took about a $100.00 to get back to functional condition.

The exterior was already stripped down to the aluminum so paint wasn't an issue outside. I repainted the interior for about $50.00.

Aftermarket, carpet, new interior lights, aftermarket cabinets, couch, etc has run me another $800 - $1000.00. I reallly want original interior, but original cabinets are hard to come by. (apparently)

A new inverter/converter and Gell battery was around $200.00. (ebay)

4 new Bias-Ply tires set me back around $300.00.

Brake away switch, $14.00.

Replacement 2 burner cooktop $47.00 plus shipping.

New Water heater, depends on ebay prices. They vary greatly in price. I currently have an electric water heater.....but if you don't have 50 amp service at the park, your trailer may not run an electric water heater. Although if it will, the water heater can do double duty as your fresh water storage.

New Roof AC/Wth heat strip, new one on ebay..again prices vary from time to time $500.00.

*1995 Palamino Mustang Popup Camper

*1996 Buick RM Wagon 5.7L V8, AT/OD, tow pkge, coil over shocks, hitch, brake box, cooler.

*Good Sam Club Life Member
Apache_Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Heading up to take a look in about 30 minutes! Keep your fingers crossed it looks as good in person, and she'll come down to my level on the price!