Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
1974 Argosy advice

Hello all. I've been searching for my first travel trailer since January and have had no luck. Been some close calls, but have failed to make a purchase. Later this week I'm going to look at my first Argosy trailer. It's a 22 footer and looks in pretty good shape. As I go look for it, what do I need to keep an eye out for? I'm not real familiar with these trailers. Are there many differences from the traditional polished Airstreams.
I'll appreciate any advice.
Thanks
TIM
VtTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and welcome to Airforums.com, Tim! You are sure to find the right trailer at some point, so here is a sure-fire tool to help you make sure you had a really good close-up at a propective canadidate trailer:

Downoad this file, read it through thoroughly, then print it out to take with you and do an exhaustive inspection!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...tml#post585431

Or just click here if that line-wrap doesn't work for you.

Don't just skim over it, and forget to print it out. When you go to look at that 22-footer you mention, there's always the risk that you will have stars in your eyes and not be able to make an objective evaluation.

So, warm up that printer and best of luck! We eagerly anticipate seeing photos of it, whether you buy it or not, OK?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Right, pictures. Sorry, I forgot my AirForums etiquette. Here are the photos from the ad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2624784907.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	192590   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3154101985.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	192591  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3503210040.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	192592   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1123334131.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	192593  

Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Looks pretty good from my house. As I've found out, Argosy's aren't that different from a full on Airstream. The major advantage is that they are painted, so skin issues are more easily handled. And since they are painted, you can you change your color scheme and way more easily take care of leaks. This is a HUGE deal with all trailers, Airstreams included. I'm not sure there really is a downside to an Argosy. The interiors are of cheaper construction (cosmetically, not structurally) but therefore it's easier - I think - to glam out a decent Argosy to your liking.
Like all Airstreams, watch out especially for tail rot, and all rot in general. If you don't have rot and frame issues (from leaks) everything else is really not that difficult to work on.
Last word of advice. When I bought ours, I didn't have the knowledge garnered from this forum, but I wish I had. Absolutely follow Aage's advice.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Argosy's were made with virtually identical construction methods to the Airstream, just had fewer standard features, such as holding tank gauges (which never work anyway). The end caps on most Argosy's were painted strech form steel, so they tend to not hold paint well, and may rust. The wrap around windows were pioneered on the Argosy line, and later adopted by the Airstream side. If you get one, be sure to get window protection (none shown on the photos) as the clear glass Argosy pano windows are no longer available, and have to be replaced with dark tinted ones from Airstream. And they are VERY expensive to replace.

Any '74 Argosy or Airstream will need major upgrading so be prepared to spend money on new axles, tires, electrical converter/charger, probably new water pipes and pump, furnace, water heater, maybe refrigerator, and a host of other things which need to be replaced on any 39 year old trailer.

I have always liked Argosy's though, they are a very honest trailer, simple and easy to understand. And if you buy it you get to live with the wonderful yucky green countertops!
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The main difference with Argosy trailers is the one-piece endcaps made of galvanized steel rather than the multi-segment aluminum of an Airstream, and of course the big deep-wrap panoramic windows that Airstream didn't get until the 80s. Other than that, the essential construction, components (and basic problems) are the same.

From the photos it looks like it could be a candidate for renovation. The step is wrecked, and like most "as found" trailers of this vintage, it can use some cosmetic help on the inside. If the curved windows are still real glass, and the shadowy areas on the aft curbside turn out to just be paint problems, I'd be thinking a start in the ballpark of $1500-$2000 if the frame is still solid. Odds are high that it has the usual problems... a bad univolt, soft subfloor around the battery box and maybe around the front and rear curved segment. Add some value back if the refrigerator is nice inside AND works properly, if all the interior plastics are solid and free of cracks, and if the shell is dent-free. (don't worry about the condition of the banana wrap, that's easy to fix, just the aluminum that's above the floor.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
UPDATE - This morning, I made this trailer mine. It followed me home nicely. My partner and I spent the afternoon vacuuming and scrubbing the interior. More photos, stories and advice to follow.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
St. Thomas , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtTim View Post
UPDATE - This morning, I made this trailer mine. It followed me home nicely. My partner and I spent the afternoon vacuuming and scrubbing the interior. More photos, stories and advice to follow.
Congratulations Tim......nice looking trailer. We look forward to seeing more photos.
with 3.5L EcoBoost
crunch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Tim,

Good purchase for your first Argosy.

With your personal touches it will be everything that you want.

Good Luck and congratulations!

Chris
newsgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
Looks good.
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Looking good, and welcome to the world of Argosys.