Old 04-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1974 Argosy 24
Tallahassee , Florida
12 Volt Wiring - 7 Way Junction

I brought my 24T home today, and gave up trying to get the lights to work (I connected temporary lights for running on the highway, with no trailer brakes working).
From what I have read on the forums, an Argosy trailer does not have fused wires for the seven way connector upon entering the trailer like other Airstream trailers. It sounds like the seven way cable connects to a junction box attached to the inside of the left frame rail, and there is no access door to it. An old post described cutting a hole in the floor and covering it with an aluminum panel.
Am I correct in this? How are the 12 volt running lights, and other 12 volt circuits protected?
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1975 24 foot Argosy?
Thanks, Dave

alfaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have a '74 Argosy 26'. To my knowledge there are no fuses in the trailer lighting circuits and brake circuits.
Here is the original wire colors:
Red=Left Turn
Brown=Right Turn
Blue=Charge Line. (larger wire)
Yellow= Electric Brakes

The 7 pin connector original to the trailer will not match with today's TV's

The easiest way to verify what is what on your trailer is to use a battery charger. Connect the black lead of the charger to the white wire or a clean spot on the trailer frame.
With the red lead. Connect it to each of the other colored wires one at a time and see what comes on.
If your trailer is like mine a new pig tail was spliced on to the original cable inside the left frame member. Check for that splice to determine if it has been changed.
All of the lighting wires are a smaller gauge than the charge line, electric brake and common/ground wires.

Some of the colors have changed over the years.
The charge line is now Black
The electric brake is now Blue

But use the battery charger and get everything working, then wire the seven pin connector to match your TV.

If you have problems, we are here to help.

Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The 7 way is typically fused on the tow vehicle side. Only the charge line needs to be fused on the trailer side.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1974 Argosy 24
Tallahassee , Florida
Thanks guys for the input. The trailer towed well, and I have never pulled anything so large and light at the same time. The wires from the 7 way had been pulled loose from the junction block (yesterday I did not know there was a junction block). I will wire in a new pig tail and see what lights work. I like the battery charger trick.
alfaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
I did a quick search and came up with this:

The search function is very good and there is little we can ask that cannot be found.

Bex is offline   Reply With Quote

12 volt