Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1970 - 1973 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Gabriola , BC
New member- Overlander owner

Hi all. I'm new here, and found this site because I am just starting restoring a 73 Overlander 27'. I wonder if I could get any suggestions on just where to start? It has some leaks and I am redoing all the caulking. It is in okay condition. Outside has a few dents and dings, and needs polishing and the clearcoat has failed. Inside is pretty good, but the floor is just plywood at this point. All appliances, etc. work but it needs new propane tanks. The awning is starting to come out of its track in a few places, but otherwise its in good shape. I've been told the running gear was all good when it was parked 4 years ago, but it will at least need new tires as it has sat for so long. My first project will be the caulking, but I'm unsure where to go next. Do I strip all the old clearcoat before repolishing? Is there something else I am missing, or should be checking for? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Nellie
Nellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
For all your sealant and caulking answers go to this sub-forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456/

Is your plywood subfloor in good shape? Does it have any soft spot or signs of rot? If not, you can add a finish floor of your choice to it. In our coastal climate, I would avoid laminate floors because of the MDF base. Water makes it swell and distort. You should see my kitchen floor! Of course it doesn't help that I have two Labs who shake off on the kitchen floor after a romp in the rain.

Have you been able to figure out where the leaks are coming from? On my trailer, most of the leaks were from skin penetrations, like running lights and windows, not somuch from the seams of the skins. Also, don't use standard silicone caulking. You'll want to use Vulkem or Sikaflex. The Sikaflex is available here in Vancouver at Cascade Aqua-tech. They may even carry Vulkem.

Cascade Aqua-Tech

Most of this stuff is also available at the Airstream dealer in Abbotsford, but last I checkded their prices were, shall we say, silly.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome yo yhr Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Good luck with your projest.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey Nellie...welcome to the Airforums...I gotta say...you are in the very best place to find all the answers to getting your baby fixed up and ready to roll toward a world of adventure...check out the subforms section for specific areas of information, and try searching for specific buzz words, too...once you find your way around the forum you'll be amazed at the info you can find. And then there are the folks here...who are both knowledgable and willing to help you with your quetisons, or send you to links and threads that have just the info you are looking for. I have never seen such patience! Maybe that's everybody here has had to start somewhere...usually at the beginning...just like you! So don't be shy... Post some pictures, too...we love pictures!

Many Silver Trails to you!
TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Gabriola , BC
The plywood is rotten in a few small areas at the front, where the leaks are the worst. I am hoping to just cut it out and replace it in pieces. I don't know exactly where the leaks are, because I think some water is running down the inside of the walls. It didn't leak at all until about 2 years ago when my husband took a pressure washer to it- big mistake. I suspect it is around vents and windows, though, like you say. Good tip on the laminate flooring- I was given a bunch and was going to use it, but now I'm having second thoughts. I will take some pictures today for all to see.

Nellie
Old 09-03-2007, 02:17 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Gabriola , BC
Here are some photos- I hope they worked. As you can see there is some rot on the floor, but not too bad. The inside does need a good overhaul, though. Its a bit of a mess now because in between working on it we use it for storage and my son uses it as an extra room for friends. The bed in front raises up to make a table and two seats. I would like to make it more interesting- its quite boring now and all that fake wood is hideous. Any ideas?

Nellie

Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0143.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	538.1 KB
ID:	44329

Name:	HPIM0144.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	44330

Name:	HPIM0145.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	44331

Name:	HPIM0146.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	44332

Name:	HPIM0147.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	44333
Old 09-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Just one word of advice. Don't try to stain or varnish over the fake wood. (Don't ask how I know) But may I say your new trailer looks great. Oh yes, never pressure wash it again (don't ask how I know that either) Welcome to this site, it's helped me so much. Have fun.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Gabriola , BC
Thanks Juel, its not bad, really. Needed a really good cleaning up mostly. Some of the tambour cupboard doors are falling apart, but I still have all the pieces so may try just re-gluing them to a piece of fabric. Also, the bathtub and sink, etc. are all stained and discoloured. Is there any way to bring them back?
Old 09-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie
Thanks Juel, its not bad, really. Needed a really good cleaning up mostly. Some of the tambour cupboard doors are falling apart, but I still have all the pieces so may try just re-gluing them to a piece of fabric. Also, the bathtub and sink, etc. are all stained and discoloured. Is there any way to bring them back?
We had our bathtub and sink painted. There are extensive threads on this website about painting the bathroom...nice trailer.....welcome aboard and we want to hear more about what your are doing......

We recently had our trailer polished (1969 Overlander) and yes, it had to be stripped first.....but we had to do lots of other things to it before we polished her.....added a gray water tank, added a spare tire rack, put in a new rock guard, new fantastic fan, new toilet (just because), new controller on the water heater, new dump valve on the black tank....stuff like that...thanks for sharing your new trailer with us...pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote