Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
New Member - Looking at 1973 Overlander

We have been camping for over 26 years...starting with 2 in diapers and have moved from pop-up to travel trailer to motorhome. But it was a camping trip 20 some years ago to Gettysburg, PA that generated our interest in the Airstreams. There happened to be an Airstream rally of some sort and seeing all those shiny "toasters" was pretty inviting. So now I am looking at a 1973 Overlander, all original equipment, would need some spit and polish, but as I look closer at the unit...what areas should I be concentrating on? The unit has new tires, has been sitting for the last two years and used as a "cabin" but am told that most everything works but AC not blowing cold air. I also noticed an abundance of caulking around several windows and owners says there was some leaking and floor got wet. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob - from Indiana, PA
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
"i am told most things work" are famous last words. A trailer that old will, I repeat, WILL have numerous mechanical issues to deal with. I have spent 3 months, I'm retired, working on my 68 Trade Wind and still have a ways to go, it too was used as a cabin. If you can possible get someone who knows Airstreams to go with you to look at it, it will be worth more than you can imagine. You will know what you have, what is broken, and approx. how much money/time it will take to get the trailer ready to go. As an example, you can count on needing axles. That can cost anywhere from around $1100 for the pair (Dexter's) and doing the work yourself, to who know if you just take it to a dealer and tell them to do it. Same with fridge, A/C, water heater, furnace, black tank, fresh tank and pump,propane system,plumbing,vents,windows, etc. There will most likely be areas of floor rot, check the floors very carefully for any soft spots. The bath and around the door are likely to have some rot. It is a MAJOR project to fix a rotten floor in the bath.

Don't want to scare you, these are some of the things I learned the hard way.

Good luck,
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
You'd be looking at all the usual things: scraping off all the silicone caulk and re-sealing the exterior properly so there are NO leaks; probably doing some sub-floor repair or replacement; probably fixing some rear-end sag; installing new axles; fixing/replacing appliances; fixing/replacing water lines, etc. These would be the usual things to expect in a 36 year old trailer in a freezing-winter climate, they are typically "handyman specials". Good luck, have fun, and welcome!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New Member - Looking at 1973 Overlander

Greetings Bob!

Welcome to the Forums!

The following two links will provide you with some information that may help in your inspection and assessment of the coach:Good luck with your assessment!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I bought my Silver Olive about a year ago - with everything working.

Thankfully, it was being actively used & towed by an experienced sailer, and I felt confident that he would have identified and repaired anything that was obviously broken. So, in theory, everything did work. BUT...there are three items that I found which were unexpected:
  1. Axles: they were shot and the PO had no idea about axles (so he wasn't being fraudlent). I did this job myself for around $2000
  2. Seals: mine actually did leak but was dependent on the angle parked. That is, if I have the front a bit too high, very little leaking - as the water must run off the back rather than run inside! But when leveled properly, it leaks. Though there was an excessive amount of silicone sealant gobbed all over the roof panels, rivets, vents and windows it was failing. Removal of this incorrect sealant and application of the correct types has, literally, reduced me to tears. What a lot of work!!! Also, all of the window/door seals were degrading - all smashed and cracked. Replacing this is easy (including new vent seals), but time consuming! Most has been done for under a few hundred bucks.
  3. Univolt: my Univolt had been removed (as an expected failure due to age) and replaced by a small auto battery charger. I didn't understand the value of a converter until after my purchase. Without it, my use of the battery operated items is limited - even when hooked to shore power because it still drains the battery. I haven't tackled this yet, but there are various converters/chargers available for under $500.
Otherwise, everything essentially works. And I enjoy my camping trips! Good luck ..

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
"i am told most things work" are famous last words. A trailer that old will, I repeat, WILL have numerous mechanical issues to deal with. I have spent 3 months, I'm retired, working on my 68 Trade Wind and still have a ways to go, it too was used as a cabin. If you can possible get someone who knows Airstreams to go with you to look at it, it will be worth more than you can imagine. You will know what you have, what is broken, and approx. how much money/time it will take to get the trailer ready to go. As an example, you can count on needing axles. That can cost anywhere from around $1100 for the pair (Dexter's) and doing the work yourself, to who know if you just take it to a dealer and tell them to do it. Same with fridge, A/C, water heater, furnace, black tank, fresh tank and pump,propane system,plumbing,vents,windows, etc. There will most likely be areas of floor rot, check the floors very carefully for any soft spots. The bath and around the door are likely to have some rot. It is a MAJOR project to fix a rotten floor in the bath.

Don't want to scare you, these are some of the things I learned the hard way.

Good luck,
We had the same kind of hard way experience with our 1974 Airstream. It is indeed a MAJOR project to fix the rotten floor in the bath -- and the causes of the rotten floor. We were told that everything worked in ours and that she was "camping ready." She's looking great now -- after many, many hours of work inside and outside and $$$ spent. We'll have her for the duration and we are thoroughly enjoying her now. Not so sure we would have bought this particular trailer at the price we paid had we realized what was going to be involved in getting her to our definition of "camping ready."

Nancy Mac
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I recently became the owner of a 71 Overlander International. Another - everything works trailer - I looked at it openminded though - I am 54 years old and everything works - just not as good as it should LOL. I have found only one chassie leak but a bunch of little annoying problems. Water leaks here and there by the PO not knowing anything about plumbing. You need to use glue with pvc - not that you need to use pvc in a TT. When you plug the trailer into your vehicle it is not supposed to blow a fuse when you turn on your running lights. Little things - they have amounted to a few hundred $$$. But that being said - would not trade the girl for a new one. Still fixing her up - will redo all the plumbing this fall and redo the bath - big job but looking forward to it.
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Thankyou all for the great advice. I went over the trailer with the owner this afternoon. I have no doubt he was being forthright about any problems. There was floor rot in front of the door, due to a leaking window. One front window had condensation between the panes, bathroom floor looked dry...many of the lights did not work (above sink, spots above sofa, outside above door and to side. Turning one on blew fuses. There were also some areas where the skin had been grooved but no punctured. Windows missing locks and badly in need or recalking. No musty or mildew smells and it seemed tight. New tires and wheel bearing had been repacked. But how do you know if the axles need replaced. The trailer is being taken to the shop tomorrow to be inspected. Was asking 6400 but would take 5600...said this was to make up for the fact that the air conditioner needed replaced. On one hand I seen potential...the other...a money pit. But sure like the thought of camping in a "classic"..

Bob
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyLeo101 View Post
Thankyou all for the great advice. I went over the trailer with the owner this afternoon. I have no doubt he was being forthright about any problems. There was floor rot in front of the door, due to a leaking window. One front window had condensation between the panes, bathroom floor looked dry...many of the lights did not work (above sink, spots above sofa, outside above door and to side. Turning one on blew fuses. There were also some areas where the skin had been grooved but no punctured. Windows missing locks and badly in need or recalking. No musty or mildew smells and it seemed tight. New tires and wheel bearing had been repacked. But how do you know if the axles need replaced. The trailer is being taken to the shop tomorrow to be inspected. Was asking 6400 but would take 5600...said this was to make up for the fact that the air conditioner needed replaced. On one hand I seen potential...the other...a money pit. But sure like the thought of camping in a "classic"..

Bob
I might be a novice but I think he's asking to much even at 5,600. A trailer that age, unless it was garaged and then even then WILL have problems, you just can't see them.

Do some research here on the forums about renovations. There are LOTS of hidden problems that you can't see with a visual inspection UNLESS you take off the bellypan, that is where probably 90% of the rust and rot of the floor stringers and out riggers, can be seen. fun projects can turn into a nightmare.

We paid 3,000 for our 72 Tradewinds and spend another 10,000 getting her ready for camping. She too was an all original camper with only 2 owners, we bought from the onwers son, and he tried to talk us out of it, because he knew that there could be hidden problems, and there were.
But we knew we were gong to gut the trailer and build her new from the ground up, literally, which we did.

Your axels will need replacing. Squat down and look at the tires at eye level, you should be able to see at least 3 inches of tire above the rim, meaning the tire should not be hidden up behind the arch of the wheel well opening.

Maybe someone will jump in here and tell me I'm all wet but doubt it.
Just knew what you are buying PLEASE!!

Check out what we did to our by going to the tradewinds sections and clicking on to Annettes Folley. It may be an eye opener for you.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Yep, what Annette said. 5600 is too much unless all of the mechanical system work perfectly and there is no major damage. Rotten floor and leaking windows up front point to bigger problems.

Did you look at the floor underneath the bathroom sink? (I'm assuming this is a rear bath because I think all of the '73 Overlanders were).

Many of the '73's had the belly pan attached in way that allowed water to pour into the belly pan and rust the frame. You can also look at my Full Monte thread for a lot more info.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I paid $2500 for my Trade Wind and will have at least 10K in it before it is ready. That is doing all the work myself, including axles. The price you were quoted seems a little high. I paid a little more for mine that I should have considering all that I have done to it, but I found it only 10 miles from my home not 500 miles. That fact alone was worth $1000 to me. Lots of things to think about.

There are links on the forums (sorry I don't know how to add it to this message) about axles and how to tell if they are sagged out. You can also check out Inlandrv.com's site for a good tutorial on axles. They have axles but there are less expensive options.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyLeo101 View Post

Bob
I too felt that way about the PO of my trailer. HOWEVER - there were some problems that he was unimformed and unaware of... I don't feel the PO was malicious or fradulent in representation by any means. I believe that folks have different opinions on what is acceptable and are often unaware of the true condition of all systems. Your right, there is (plenty) of potential --- including potentilal of it being a money pit. I paid more for mine than you are considering. I don't feel I got "taken" but I wish I'd done my homework. Especially when faced with the items I already mentioned. It just cost me more $$$ than budgeted and a lot more time than intended. Owning a classic is a thrill and I'm glad when I can spend more weekends camping rather than repairing.

Oh - and make sure the shop understands how to inspect the axles. It's not hard to do (there's plenty of links on this forum to Inland RV's 5 minute check procedure) and it is a pretty big cost. My PO reduced the price to help pay for a new OEM refer for mine so it's not unreasonable to deduct $$$ for major repairs.
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote