Old 02-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
San Antonio , Texas
Talking Getting Started

So we picked up our brand new to us, slightly used, 1973 Overlander this morning. Let me just say that Connie and I are thrilled and that I am feeling a little overwhelmed. After I backed the trailer in the driveway I had to run an errand and when I came back Connie had mattresses, curtains and all sorts of parts in the yard. We spent the rest of the afternoon removing the front bed, no longer a gaucho, the linoleum flooring, plywood bunks, carpeting and some loose change we found under the linoleum. Neither of us can wait to get cracking on this project. I think the first project will be ensuring that it is waterproof from the outside then the bathroom.

We look forward to more tearing apart, rebuilding, posting and learning and hopefully before too long some camping.

Does anyone have some good suggestions for a name for our new baby? Or ideas on where to focus besides waterproofing and ensuring major systems, electrical, plumbing and LP are functioning?

Thanks much,

Randall
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02065.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	347.3 KB
ID:	150830   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02068.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	150831  

Name:	DSC02109.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	150832   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02126.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	150833  

Old 02-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Welcome to the forums....first thing is to definitely get it waterproof and check for wood rot....check in all four corners (especially the rear) and by the front door and just behind the front guacho -- those areas are notorious for rot (from leaks, condensation, etc).

If it all checks out okay, then you should check on the running gear then move on to the inside and the major systems...I can tell you that within our first year, everything had to be replaced except (so far) for the furnace and water heater, so if it's not broken already, it will likely break.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): http://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: http://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoores View Post
We spent the rest of the afternoon removing the front bed, no longer a gaucho, the linoleum flooring, plywood bunks, carpeting and some loose change we found under the linoleum.

Does anyone have some good suggestions for a name for our new baby? Or ideas on where to focus besides waterproofing and ensuring major systems, electrical, plumbing and LP are functioning?
Name suggestion: "Loose change" since you found some. You could put those coins in a picture frame, and use them as a decoration. Kind of like the way small businesses used to frame the first dollar they ever made for good luck, back in the days when all transactions used real money instead of credit cards and computers.

Where to focus: as an engineer, to me there are only three areas you CAN focus on. Structure, Systems, Furnishings. Make sure the structure is sound. Make sure all the moving parts work. Make sure it's comfortable. Preferably in that order. If I wasn't an engineer, I'd add a fourth focus, Appearance. Once you've got everything else taken care of, make sure it's pretty. The rest is just details and personal preference.

Question: What exactly is a "gaucho" when it's a bed? To me, a gaucho is an Argentine cowboy.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

"In a perfect world, I'd be given enough time to wrap up one emergency before the next one starts." Freefall2013
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Axles (and brakes), floor rot around edges and bathroom, and trailering lights are a few important ones for starters.

NorCal Spring Rally, Casini Ranch, April 18-20
webspinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Amarillo , Traveling
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Have fun with it folks...it's a great hobby!
...or ask the forums...

AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Great Idea Protagonist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Name suggestion: "Loose change" since you found some. You could put those coins in a picture frame, and use them as a decoration. Kind of like the way small businesses used to frame the first dollar they ever made for good luck, back in the days when all transactions used real money instead of credit cards and computers.
Great Idea! When I field stripped our first 1976, I found a little girl's change purse with a dollar bill and a handful of coins all minted in 1976. There was also a memento from the Bicentennial in Washington, DC, apparently the first destination for the new Airstream.

Quote:
Question: What exactly is a "gaucho" when it's a bed? To me, a gaucho is an Argentine cowboy.
Answer: Because sleeping on an Airstream gaucho is like sleeping with an Argentine cowboy?
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654, Affiliate NM Unit
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Definitely like the name "Loose change." I think it may stick.

I agree with your breakdown of the projects, structure, systems and then furnishings. Kind of how I was thinking about it. As an Army guy I need to break concepts/projects down as simple as possible so I can understand and then explain.

I did find some wood rot at the door and front corner, bathroom hasn't been torn out yet, but will be next weekend. I will make sure to post more photos as we go along.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , New Jersey
[QUOTE=

Answer: Because sleeping on an Airstream gaucho is like sleeping with an Argentine cowboy?[/QUOTE]
Sleeping on a goucho makes you groucho. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoores View Post
Definitely like the name "Loose change." I think it may stick.
On the LOOSE and headed for a CHANGE of scenery.

NorCal Spring Rally, Casini Ranch, April 18-20
webspinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
The Designer of the Gaucho

As luck would have it, I was able to find a picture of the man who designed the first Airstream gaucho, folding bed:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	200px-Gaucho1868b.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	150876  
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654, Affiliate NM Unit
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
Always learning
Commercial Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Randall,
Congratulations! Nice looking trailer. You are in for a whole lot of fun and adventure.
Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
San Antonio , Texas
Loose change it is. Today we got some help tearing some more interior out (pretty much everything) and found some more change as we pulled out cabinets...

The only things I planned on getting done were replacing the roof vent that was beyond repair and pulling out the bathroom. We got the bathroom out, the vent in and pulled up rotten plywood as well as pulled out the kitchen sink and cabinet.

We are exhausted but going to get some more done tomorrow and I plan on posting some photos by Sunday.

The one thing that I may need some help with is the front window is leaking and I need to figure out from where to repair/replace.

Randall
Old 02-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
x

XXXX , XXXX
Randall when you say the front window is leaking do you mean the large lift up window or one of the two wing windows on either side of the lift up one?
The clearance lights above the window can be a source of leaks and so can the Airstream letters up there. If you're unit has the plexiglass rockguard on it the hinge for that guard is installed with pop rivets and they can leak too. The mounting brackets for the rock guard arms will leak also. The top of the seam between the main window and the wings is another good source for leaks.
Have you looked at the gasket on the lift up window it may be shot and leaking.
Then there are the wing windows they are notorious for leaking at the gasket between the glass and the window frame. Water will get in between the two panes of glass and then it can't get out again and the window will fill up with water.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Randall when you say the front window is leaking do you mean the large lift up window or one of the two wing windows on either side of the lift up one?
The clearance lights above the window can be a source of leaks and so can the Airstream letters up there. If you're unit has the plexiglass rockguard on it the hinge for that guard is installed with pop rivets and they can leak too. The mounting brackets for the rock guard arms will leak also. The top of the seam between the main window and the wings is another good source for leaks.
Have you looked at the gasket on the lift up window it may be shot and leaking.
Then there are the wing windows they are notorious for leaking at the gasket between the glass and the window frame. Water will get in between the two panes of glass and then it can't get out again and the window will fill up with water.
The active drip comes from the bottom right of the curbside wing window. The driver's side wing window has discoloration/junk in between the two panes and the center window appears to be good.

I was a little upset because I didn't really want to pull the interior skins/panels but I think I have to around that window to see where water is actively getting in. It looks like its been like that for a while because the two front corners of the plywood were rotten.

Oh well...Another project I guess.