Old 07-24-2011, 05:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Colden , New York
Bought an Airstream from a Psycho :)

I just purchased a 73 Overlander that is actually on pretty good shape. The Guy I bought it from, however was Looney Tunes... I paid $1500 for the trailer and after I paid for it I went to go register it and get a truck to pick this up.

Guy called me as I was on my way back and told me that a neighbor told him that the thing was worth $5K and told me that he wanted another $3500, I politely told him I wasn't going to pay him anything more and I understood if he wanted to back out. I hadn't hit the DMV yet and was willing to give him back the title, just give me the money back and we'll call it a day.... He told me he already SPENT the money and that I wasn't getting the money back (took him an hour and a half to spend it?).

By the time I got there, the trailer was moved and he wasn't allowing me onto his property. I had to call the Sheriffs and was startled when I told them where I was at because they KNEW the guy by name. 15 mins later, the Deputy arrives and the part I can remember is "Bob, if you don't let him take the trailer or give him back his money you're going BACK to jail" I let out a little chuckle. He finally led me back to the trailer, not before kicking the block from under the trailer head, which really ticked off the Deputy, lol. I was able to use the car jack and lift the trailer up, and attached it then found out that he had the whole darn trailer locked up and kept the keys. His response was that I did not need keys as I was not "driving a trailer". The Deputy tried to get him to give me the keys and finally told me that I could sue him for the keys and we just got the heck out of there, trailer in tow...

Short of a locksmith, is there anywhere I could get keys for this? Was able to manage crawling through a window to unlock the trailer but all of the compartments are locked up and I have no way to get to them.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:47 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Bought an Airstream from a Pshyco :)

Greetings jlfaulring!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

You have solved the biggest issue, and that is actually gaining access to the coach without damaging the door lock. In all probability, you will be able to purchase a new lock cylinder and keys from an Airstream dealer for your entry door (see this link). The compartment doors for any given year during the Vintage Airstream time frame were usually keyed with only two or three potential keys at the most so it is often possible to borrow the compartment keys from a fellow Airstreamer with a coach from the same year and find that the keys will operate your compartment locks as well (see this link for what you might find at an Airstream dealer or service center).

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfaulring View Post
I just purchased a 73 Overlander that is actually on pretty good shape. The Guy I bought it from, however was Looney Tunes... I paid $1500 for the trailer and after I paid for it I went to go register it and get a truck to pick this up.

Guy called me as I was on my way back and told me that a neighbor told him that the thing was worth $5K and told me that he wanted another $3500, I politely told him I wasn't going to pay him anything more and I understood if he wanted to back out. I hadn't hit the DMV yet and was willing to give him back the title, just give me the money back and we'll call it a day.... He told me he already SPENT the money and that I wasn't getting the money back (took him an hour and a half to spend it?).

By the time I got there, the trailer was moved and he wasn't allowing me onto his property. I had to call the Sheriffs and was startled when I told them where I was at because they KNEW the guy by name. 15 mins later, the Deputy arrives and the part I can remember is "Bob, if you don't let him take the trailer or give him back his money you're going BACK to jail" I let out a little chuckle. He finally led me back to the trailer, not before kicking the block from under the trailer head, which really ticked off the Deputy, lol. I was able to use the car jack and lift the trailer up, and attached it then found out that he had the whole darn trailer locked up and kept the keys. His response was that I did not need keys as I was not "driving a trailer". The Deputy tried to get him to give me the keys and finally told me that I could sue him for the keys and we just got the heck out of there, trailer in tow...

Short of a locksmith, is there anywhere I could get keys for this? Was able to manage crawling through a window to unlock the trailer but all of the compartments are locked up and I have no way to get to them.
Short answer is cut your losses and save some time get a locksmith and change the entrance lock as Bob has a key to your trailer and be glad that is all you have to do. Chances are that the locks are not original and no record exits. Damage to the compartment doors would be expensive to repair go with a locksmith.

PS Look for bobby traps.

And what Kevin said.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
And it's not even a FULL MOON! Go figure.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
That sounds like something that would happen to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
This is hysterical! gotta love Bob's entrepreneurial spirit: trying to triple his money after the deal is done. You certainly shouldn't lose any sleep over paying him $1500... people have paid far less for trailers, though his neighbor may that yours was undervalued.

Who needs all these "feel good" stories about naming our trailers after previous owners, anyhow? Kindly, church-going 99 year old folks with names like Mabel and Earl are a dime a dozen. I say, bring on

Bonkers Bob the Overlander!

Welcome to the club.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
jl, I admire your level of patience and restraint in a difficult situation!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:19 AM   #8
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I've had similar things happen to me, that's one reason I try to take it with me at the time the deal is complete.
BTW, everybody seems to know about the full moon effect, when the people that aren't wrapped too tightly come unwound, but there's also the new moon effect, when all the people of marginal intelligence come out to play...
Old 07-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
How did Bob's teeth look?
Frank's Trailer Works is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
How did Bob's teeth look?
You may want to check the trailer for residue.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Wow, what a wild story. I hope you don't find any surprises inside those closed compartments. It would be good to get into them ASAP.

I'm sure you'll be able to find keys. Some of the keys in our LYG MH are actually the same as we had on our previous two SOB trailers! So much for security.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:08 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Best. Story. EVER!!!!!

An adventure before you even begin your travels. I am sooo jealous! Did Bonkers Bob have a story about how he acquired the Airstream?

Seriously, change all of the locks and store/hide the trailer somewhere where Bob can't find it. Is there a witness protection program for Airstreams?

Good Luck! Anxiously awaiting the next ins
tallment....
Old 07-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #13
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
hey, I need a tow truck. Any decent tow trucks in Bob's yard?

Could he come up with one if I left a deposit?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
When you gain access to interior, take with you a traditional Native American cedar/sage smudge stick and cleanse the Airstream -- outside, too, to remove any lingering traces of Bob. Wow.
At the Lake