Old 04-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Mopar Muppet

1973 27' Overlander
Lake Butler , Florida
73 Overlander 'he took everything out!'

We recently acquired a 1973 Overlander Airstream! Yeah for us! As we jumped into the cleaning process we discoverd the dreaded floor rot. Wanting to do the project correctly we began the interenet research process. Wow! There is a ton of information out there! So a few weeks later we are now down to just plywood and the outer walls. We realize we are going to have to get down to the just the outer skin to replace the floor. Here is the debate.. when we go back to replacing the inner wall (the one next to the skin) what is acceptable to use? We were thinking about panneling.. we like the wood look.... How much weight can we put back into it? Also we have all the "guts" out of our and would like to see them recycled.. so if there is anyone who needs something give us a shout! Thanks!

Old 04-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Welcome to the forum. Adding more weight, especially in the rear of longer units, is generally not a good idea. If you really want to change the walls, I'd check into vinyl wallcovering, or maybe an epoxy.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

You must put the inner skin back in as it is integral to the strength of the structure. You can then add your paneling if desired.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Santa Rosa , California
Hi,

I just got a 70 overlander that needs so much work...problem is, I'm going to have to do it myself which is okay, I think....

Do you have any door latches? My are all broken the doors are being kept shut with eye hooks. Also Do you know why there is a gas connector in the bathroom near the toilet?

Where is the heater? I see a panel on the outside of the trailer. When I open the panel I see some coils and such is this the heater? How many holding tanks do I have and where is the Black water outlet? Is there a grey water tank and fresh water tank..if so where are they? The guy that gave me this trailer knew nothing about it and neither do I.

I need those plastic light coves, that look like they have dimmer switches on them, if you have any. Can you help with any of the above? I'd sure appreciate it.

Thank you!