Old 08-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Trailer Life Magazine online interview with Bob Wheeler

Interview with Airstream CEO Bob Wheeler

Nothing new here except that prices will be going up lighter AS units.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Sounds like another way of saying that almost anything costs more than a plywood floor or cabinets. It also sounds like AS learned a lesson from the slow sales of the initial decontented Sport models.

Tom

Old 08-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Sounds like another way of saying that almost anything costs more than a plywood floor or cabinets. It also sounds like AS learned a lesson from the slow sales of the initial decontented Sport models.

Tom
Do the European Airstreams have something other than plywood for the subfloor? He seemed to suggest that those trailers are already lighter compared to a similar-length US trailer.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It seems like Wheeler's interviews over the years are always about the same—RV's are selling well, we need to make them lighter, we will increase prices.

European models are smaller and lighter—narrow for their roads, shorter, fewer options, but prices are much higher than for something similar in North America.

Gene
Old 08-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
IIRC, the Euro trailers have a wood-free composite floor. They also have hot water radiator heat and unique Alko galvanized frames. As Gene said, they're narrower too.

We've been hearing that the Euro trailers are more expensive for years now. But I wonder how much of that is due to low volume, a higher amount of outsourced major parts, and shipping half-built assemblies back and forth between JC and the final assembly plant in Europe.

But being on vacation and in a good mood, I'll confess - I don't covet one of the Euro trailers anymore. Having the 8' wide 2007 Safari has spoiled me. But what I DO want is a 8' wide 25fb that weighs 4300 lbs - sort of like an 70s Argosy.

I'm not sure what "modern conveniences" Wheeler suggests add all that much weight. A flat screen TV doesn't weigh much. Skipping the crappy subwoofer and now-obsolete CD changer drops weight. I think a microwave weighs less than the cabinet that contains it.

So I wonder if this recurring interview theme boils down to this: "If you want us to innovate at all beyond interior finish colors and adding HDMI jacks, it's gonna cost ya."

Tom
Old 08-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
So I wonder if this recurring interview theme boils down to this: "If you want us to innovate at all beyond interior finish colors and adding HDMI jacks, it's gonna cost ya."

Tom
I agree, Tom. They increase prices all the time anyway regardless of what they do or don't do. When we were looking in 2007, they had the MSRP on the company website, but they stopped doing that. Maybe marketing was embarrassed by the prices or figured they'd turn people off.

Also the European models don't have power jacks. A hand crank and wheel at the bottom of the jack are probably a but lighter. On the other hand, they have thicker (thus, heavier) windows. We were told on the tour that was because European weather is so bad. We don't have rough weather in N. America?

Gene
Old 08-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
LOL. The rain here in Maine yesterday was on par with our annual British vacations to see my DW's parents.

Seriously, those windows could be acrylic like in my Minuet. Held up fine after 32 years.

Tom
Old 08-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Lighter usually means cheaper and noisier. One of the reasons I bought an Airstream was that it was reasonably quiet inside. We had an ultra light SOB and believe me it was like camping in a tent. I understand the need for lighter when it comes to tow vehicles but you won't necessarily get better gas mileage. Our 28' Safari weighs more than double what our 18' ultra light weighed and we get better mileage towing it with the same TV.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #9

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cromwell , Connecticut
My T@B had some noise isolation, but it wouldn't have drowned out the generator noise yesterday here in Acadia.

Given that vintage Airstreams weighed a good 1000-1500 less than the current equivalent, even when taking options like ac into account, I think there's some room there for improvement whilst retaining solidity.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Vintage Airstreams aren't as wide among other things that account for their lighter weight. You make a good point, however, and many buy vintage because they are lighter. My ultraLight was only 7 feet wide too but I wouldn't want to go back to that.