Old 04-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I don't want to hijack the thread- but in reading the above I just found out there are power Zip-Dee Awnings! I looked at their web site and there is a retro fit package for existing awnings.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Welcome here Dicky. As I am sure you know, when Airstream previously posted here (about corrosion, material selections and QC problems), the relationship didn't last long as many of us told Airstream what we thought about Airstream's handling of those issues. I hope you have thicker skin because anyone who posts on a Forum surely needs it.

If people use a rental unit as a gateway to purchasing a product, that seems to make your clientele decrease in numbers. To make sense of this, therefore, you should be getting some money for each sale from Airstream. Or perhaps, so far, undisclosed, Airstream is bankrolling this in whole or part, so referring people may be part of a financing deal. Or maybe you'll sell these units to renters (rent to own). Maybe there are confidentiality agreements making it impossible to comment, but we are curious how this works as dedicated Airstream owners.

Rental companies have a fairly high turnover because vehicles get trashed quickly. The GM products will probably time out pretty fast and have mediocre reliability, so they will go first. You might consider Toyota Sequoias as the next tow vehicle as they have much higher reliability and are quite comfy, something the rental crowd will like.

The trailers will probably have to last longer because the investment is quite high, but how are they going to be sold? Through dealers, internet sale, on a lot somewhere like car rentals are sold? I'm sure some people here would love to have a chance at them in a couple of years.

I think your best bet for the ones in Vegas (and perhaps LA) is to work with German travel agents. Another country's travel agents to consider are those in Japan (especially when you use Sequoias).

And we are interested in what hitch you'll be using. Besides driving and backing trailers, one of things that stumps people at first are how to deal with the hitch. Personally, I think the Equalizer is really easy to use, but surely many others disagree.

Gene

Old 04-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Gene,
Interesting questions. Thor certainly has the capital (200M cash), and a limited debt load to explore this concept. Another question on my mind is whether WBCCI would allow membership for these units? If a corporate membership were to be secured, would the "renter" be allowed to participate in a sponsored event?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #88
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
Dicky- welcome! SO exciting to see your participation here!

As the owner of a marketing firm myself, I must confess my first thought was "i hope they can monetize those referrals"!

i hope you have good "take home" info for the renters and collect good data to pitch, er, remind these potential customers in the future.

on edit: i will second the request to know what kind of hitch set up you'll be using. and the hope that you'll have tough skin.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Mr. Riegel,
Having toured America in our Airstream and being approached by many folks asking if there were any Airstream rentals available (like the Class C's) this may answer that question and provide for those folks. Great idea and it also allows for those products being developed by Airstream to become even simpler to use for people who only do this for a week.

Thanks for providing the update on your product as I know I will share your story and promote the product for those looking for that adventure in an Airstream.

I know here on the East coast we have a few KOA's, one in NC and one in Maine with Airstreams as rentals. They are always booked, so there is a demand.

Best of luck!

SL4BLLT
Old 04-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #90
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Go View Post

The Airstream 2 Go fleet contains both 23'FB and 28' Airstream trailers. All are International Signature Series trailers featuring iterations of Christopher Deam's outstanding designs. All trailers are custom-specified for rental use, featuring extra insulation, dual batteries, dual air-conditioners, ultraleather fabrics and standard Zip Dee power awnings (these power Zip-Dees are really excellent!).
It is great to see Mr. Reigel posting on Airforums and wish his company only the best. Unlike some posts here, I think it is great idea and believe they will have an adequate number of clients that will want the Airstream experience and will feel the costs are acceptable. In the BMW motorcycle world there are several very successful companies that put on motorcycle tours with very upscale lodging and newer higher end motorcycles. The costs would seem high for those with moderate means but that is not their target market (over 10k for a two week trip for a couple). I just don't see $7500 for a family to spend a week seeing the western US in a new Airstream and driving a decent tow vehicle being that high.

I was very interested in his comment about the custom spec'd trailers having extra insulation. Sure wish I could have ordered that on mine that is being built next week (along with a Marmoleum floor or at least a different vinyl).

It will also be interesting to see the hitch being used. Along with being safe, it can't be too fussy with some improper loading and also needs to be easy to hitch.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
While I see this as a great idea I also see potential problems. There is a steep learning curve to towing a TT, hitching/unhitching, parking, etc. Will road service be provided to assist customers that have gotten themselves in a situation that they cannot handle? Will customers be required to have some level of experience or will the only requirement be to have deep pockets? I know that the owners have years of experience but I have a feeling that most of the customers will be total newbies when it comes to this sort of vacation. I truly hope this business venture succeeds and that this can go nationwide. Also looking forward to seeing some of these trailers up for resale in a few years. Hopefully people will not treat them like a rental car and beat the crap out of them.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #92
Rental Airstream Journeys
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2006 16' International CCD
Bedford Hills , New York
Airstream 2 Go - Hitch System

Several of the posts have requested information about the hitch system being used in the Airstream 2 Go trailers. We selected the Reese HP trunnion style hitch, featuring the dual cam sway control and weight distributing bar/drop bar. The system works very well in our application, providing the rental customer with excellent weight-leveling and towing characteristics, while also being straight-forward to set-up.

Airstream 2 Go will be providing its rental customers with all the training and education about the hitching and unhitching process to instill their confidence. Obviously, this may be a new thing to many of our customers, so we are very focused on this particular element.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Airstream 2 Go
Old 04-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #93
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
Quote:
We selected the Reese HP trunnion style hitch, featuring the dual cam sway control and weight distributing bar/drop bar.
thanks ! better go buy stock as i'll expect an uptick in sales now....
Old 04-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #94
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Go View Post
Several of the posts have requested information about the hitch system being used in the Airstream 2 Go trailers. We selected the Reese HP trunnion style hitch, featuring the dual cam sway control and weight distributing bar/drop bar. The system works very well in our application, providing the rental customer with excellent weight-leveling and towing characteristics, while also being straight-forward to set-up.

Airstream 2 Go will be providing its rental customers with all the training and education about the hitching and unhitching process to instill their confidence. Obviously, this may be a new thing to many of our customers, so we are very focused on this particular element.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Airstream 2 Go

A second-tier hitch in performance that is also need-sensitive, that best done on a certified, segmented weight scale. I don't see truck stops favored by this clientele. It's a hitch that is difficult to get "right" judging by RV forum experiences (few willing). Dealer techs are outside the pale so poor is their training.

Granted, it's cheap to buy.

A PULLRITE would have been the simpler-to-use hitch which also eliminates trailer sway in any practical sense. Harder for the novice to screw up as the adjustment is dead simple (and by novice I include the service tech). A hitch that is difficult to get "wrong" as anti-sway is not dependent on dead-certain weight distribution.

Using any other hitch is a mistake, IMO, especially in a dedicated fleet. The hitch indicated is not consistent with the advertising promises . . this is not 1963.

(And, no, I've no affiliation with any RV firm).

You'll do what you will, so no reply necessary, I'm not interested for purposes of this thread to re-start the hitch arguments. Investigate for yourself and ask if the experience sought for customers is on track.

Good luck

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Mr. Riegel,
Thanks for your willingness to share your information. It's great to hear this from the source. We should all wish you well on your endeavor, as it can only polish the apple, so to speak.
Our first Airstream experience with with the rental of a new 19' Bambi for a month, used in about 10 day segments as we desired. This was a package offered by our closest dealer for a while back in 2007-2008. We pulled it with our own TV, and it cost us a bit over $100/night. We had no experience with RVs or travel trailers, but with a walk around of about one hour we learned the ropes. We had a great time, taking trips to Arkansas and Canada, learned a lot, and ultimately became Airstream owners (although we did buy used). It was just the opening that we needed, and it changed our lives.
Although it may require a family of some means to afford the Airstream 2Go packages, I can see two couples getting together to share the experience without a big stretch over a normal vacation budget.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Price to rent?

Hi, as an Airstream owner, I thought that the rental rate was quite high, but compared to our cruise ship cruise, the cost is about the same. This would work for those who can't afford to own, but would like to see some great places that you normally wouldn't see by moteling. As for the hitch, I would, if you didn't already, paint the chain links red so the set-up would be correct if and when the renters disconnect from the tow vehicle.

I plan to see what you have at Airstream of Los Angeles soon. Good Luck in your new adventure.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #97
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
OK, so now I am a believer in the most likely success of this venture based on five things. An excellent, practical TV, a very capable user friendly hitch, extremely cool visual appearance, a perfect size Airstream, and his decision to participate in the on line community. I hope it works because we will all benefit. Our community now has somebody with clout. Watch the quality improve. Jim
Old 04-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Clout? ... I just want someone with a Cyclo, lots of free neighborly energy, and a penchant for Nuvite in their hair.

And free of course.

Tags
airstream 2 go, rental