Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2005, 08:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

The Airstreams are Coming!! The Airstreams are Coming!!

I don't know how long this link will be active, but the International made the front page of the local fish-wrap this morning:

http://www.news-leader.com/today/200...ingtoSpri.html

I had to be traveling today and saw several be-numbered Airstreams pointed toward Springfield.

Here is a photo (lifted from the article) of the campground.

Mark
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
I don't know how long this link will be active, but the International made the front page of the local fish-wrap this morning:

http://www.news-leader.com/today/200...ingtoSpri.html

I had to be traveling today and saw several be-numbered Airstreams pointed toward Springfield.

Here is a photo (lifted from the article) of the campground.

Mark
The News-Leader certainly provided excellent coverage of the International Rally. Each day during the Rally, we were able to open our copy of the paper and read about our group and activities. Having attended several International Rallys from Boise, ID to Dayton, OH, the coverage provided by the local media was among the best that I remember with at least a side-bar article every day.

To read some of the articles that appeared during the Rally, follow the link above and search "Airstream" to read about our stay in Springfield.

For those who haven't attended an International Rally, the local daily paper is usually delivered to each participants' camp site daily -- at some rallys, there has been a modest subscription fee while at others it has been a no-cost welcome.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
The News Leader apparently charges for an "archive account" to be able to view the coverage.
I live in Lubbock TX and have no intention of paying the Springfield Wipe for articles published a month ago, nor do I wish to subscribe to a fish wrap/cage liner 800 miles from home just to read a half dozen articles.
Pretty useless information when you can't access it when it is "old news" unless you pay a new price.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings David!

I am not a News-Leader subscriber and have had no problems accessing the articles -- no IDs requested or provided.

Try the link below to a search that I constructed for the Airstream related articles:

WBCCI International Rally Coverage

It appears that the key is to utilize the search window located in the top right hand corner of the window.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Try the link below to a search that I constructed for the Airstream related articles:

WBCCI International Rally Coverage

Kevin
'Coloradobus' is the front car in this picture with "Caddy" & "Shack", Maxwell is next...then 'Herb Spies' all with our flags a flying!

Shari
Attached Images

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Kevin, that's a great link. Thanks!

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:02 AM   #7
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
See it for your self!

You know, there have been many that have taken shots at the WBCCI.

If any one took just twenty minutes to visit the link above and read as amny strories as you can bear, you will be forced to admit that the WBCCI is a club that has so many offerings that are just simply priceless.

I often see the polls and the queries of how many people participate in forums or WBCCI, how many people do or do not advocate, or levels of speculation that are most often without any foundation at all, or people wondering what is wrong with the WBCCI.

Here is the simple truth folks, I just checked the statistics for this forum and the most users ever on line was 611. Now that is compiled of individuals sitting in a chair at some remote location that is very convenient to click and visit this site. An accomplishment to be recognized as far as forums go.
But........ 1200 plus WBCCI Units (typically two or more to a unit, so over 2400 people) literally towed and or drove their Airstreams THOUSANDS of miles (cummulative) to participate in one week long event in the middle of the USA. All to be a participant in the WBCCI International Rally
And the article about the black couple who have been WBCCI members since '93. Read that one and if that does not convince you that the WBCCI is welcoming and open armed, NOTHING will!

You can stay in the dark and be in denial but if you open your eyes and recognize FAMILY then you too will find your way to the WBCCI and see that it is THE AIRSTREAM WAY OF LIFE!

(Soapbox off)
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:06 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm not going to get into to it too far, but simply to offer that this conversation about WBCCI has been gone round and round several times. Folks feel driven on both sides of this conversation, which frankly has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Some folks bring this up every chance they get, however, I will only add a few bits of info to keep the info balanced. There are approx 8,000 members here on the forum, of those 8,000, let's say that there are 600 regulars on this forum (maybe more, maybe less). That's about 1/2 what the current membership of WBCCI is (more or less). WBCCI's membership is down from somewhere around 10,000 members at it's peak. While this forum continues to grow, WBCCI does not appear to be enjoying similar membership retention.

There are a good number of folks here that are not couch coaches in terms of WBCCI. One of WBCCI's own governing members (in a position of authority) wrote a very clear, direct piece, which is a good read.

IMHO, let's simply enjoy the fact there there still is a group like WBCCI for those who wish to participate and that this International isn't the last (or close to the last) as the die hard fans of WBCCI are given the opportunity to convince some of the 2,000 some odd new Airstream owners (new coaches) each year (12,0000 units since 2000 --approx) that the club is worth it. Me, my opinion hasn't changed that much (and I'm no couch coach) and though I won't go into the long drawn out Ford vs. Chevy type conversation, I will only suggest you use the search button when you have several hours to invest and read hundreds if not thousands of posts regarding WBCCI and draw your own conclusions....and now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote