Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream "In the News"
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Review and Comments Regarding the History Detectives Program

All History Detective programs are well crafted.

Let’s trace the issues addressed, who addressed them and why the finished product came out the way it did.

Let’s address the beginning and the end of the program. The owners want to confirm that their Airstream went on the 1959 Caravan.

The Petersen Auto Museum is a heavy hitter for this program. They have clout and credibility. The comments made establish who Wally Byam was, the importance of Airstream, and Wally’s leadership in beginning foreign Caravans. The highlight was the comment that out of 300, 1930’s trailers, Airstream is the sole survivor. Just think about that.

Now that we know about Wally Byam, Airstream and foreign Caravans it is time to learn about the markings on the trailer.

Shari, Vintage Airstream Club President is asked to discuss the markings on the trailer. We are now a step further in learning the history of the trailer. The number is Caravan and Club identification and the decal represented membership in the WBCCI.

The last question did the Airstream really go on the Wally Byam African Caravan in 1959.

This is where Tony Ruiz, and Dale Schwamborn supply the final information. As member of the Caravan, they were asked a few questions about the trip. Using an African Caravan roster, and an older WBCCI directory the information was provided to prove that the questionable trailer did not go to Africa.

What you see are remarkable building blocks for a fun presentation.

Tukufu Zuberi is a fantastic person. His contribution to History Detectives and our program is top shelf. He is a Professor and Chair in the Sociology Department at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA. (If you wish you can bring him up on the web.) He is known worldwide. Tukufu has traveled to Africa many times and is very aware of the transitional changes in politics and the welfare of citizens.

It is interesting that in his opening and closing dialogues he was excellent in his knowledge of Airstream and Wally. Some of that information came from his questions that Toni and I answered.

The visual part was of interest to me. They wove still pictures with motion pictures. The movie part came from the available abbreviated film from the African Caravan taken by Pete Turner.

Most of the still pictures came from the Estate of Helen Byam Schwamborn. There were family pictures of Wally, pictures of pre-war Airstreams and actual pictures from the African Caravan. Toni Ruiz contributed several pictures and the really great one was the meeting of Haile Selassie with she and her husband Art.

In perspective the History Detectives reviewed hours of HD movies, still photographs, verbiage, documents and put together an A+ program. Anything left on the cutting floor was not needed to tell the story.

In looking back this was a tribute to Wally Byam and his gift to the RV Industry, and RV travel. No one person ever did more for the Industry. Yes, a tribute to Airstream. Airstream outlasted 299 other companies. Last, but not least, a Caravan that traveled from Cape Town to Cairo. The 1959 African Caravan is trip that will never be duplicated.

Pee Wee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5202.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	64230   Click image for larger version

Name:	HisDet Airstream (99).jpg
Views:	170
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	64231  

Name:	j206 (11).jpg
Views:	232
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	64232   Click image for larger version

Name:	South Africa Cultural Village.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	64233  

PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I, myself, really enjoyed the airing of History Detectives last night. It was well thought out, well organized and followed the correct line of thinking and deciphering. Having watched the Capetown to Cairo 16mm movie the day before really whet my appetite for the History Detectives show. I can appreciate all of the footage that didn't make the show but would expect that the footage would be digital in nature and not actual film and could be acquired from PBS if that sort of thing happens in the industry. Thanks for allowing the film crew to photograph part of Helen's collection as it really added to the content of the show.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
tinhutjohn

1974 29' Ambassador
London , Ontario
Rivet

I think the only question that remained unasked and unanswered was what happened to the trailers that did go on the caravan?
Sarge
Logan the Large hairy Golden Retriever

It's a monocoque thing
You wouldn't understand

tinhutjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
I am a big fan of the History Detectives! I only wish it was on year round!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My blog: Yreka History
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I thought the show was excellent. I almost felt like I was sitting in the chair of the owners of the trailer in question....waiting for the verdict.

A hearty "pat on the back" to all who were involved!!
Old 07-23-2008, 06:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
PEE WEE, On your roster from Capetown to Cairo, do you have a listing for #1301, Leo Frank from Illinois? I have that trailer and according to the owner's son, it went on quite a few caravans. Thanks for your help.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Here are a couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby View Post
PEE WEE, On your roster from Capetown to Cairo, do you have a listing for #1301, Leo Frank from Illinois? I have that trailer and according to the owner's son, it went on quite a few caravans. Thanks for your help.
While you await PeeWee's response,in my 1970 Directory it lists Leo Frank taking the WBCCI Caravan#16 to Mexico in 1958 and WBCCI Caravan#24 to Europe in the Summer of 1968.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Mike the Detective is Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby View Post
The entire roster is posted at this website. Sierra Neveda has a wealth of Club, Caravan, Wally, Helen and Airstream information.

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/me...a-brochure.pdf

Trailer #1301 was not in Africa. Mike's comment is correct.

Pee Wee
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	03-12-06 (101).jpg
Views:	134
Size:	437.3 KB
ID:	64245  
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've got my DVR set to record anything Airstream related so I captured this program. Those of you not seeing this will get a chance next year at Moraine View for our year 7 rally.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow musings

I forgot to watch it. I saw the thread again about 3o min after it ended.
But it shows again here tomorrow, and truthfully I will prob forget again.
Anyway I am curious if the show paid the airfares of each of the participants from other areas?
What did Fred do in or on the show?

How long is the segment? Seems someone will capture it and put it on You Tube etc.?

Would be nice to see a "showography" of all the shows about Airstream over the years.
Also the commercials and movies where one was shown but not the feature would be a nice archive item I guess.
I for one am not actually very interested in the pedigree of any particular trailer that I don't own. Nor is the minute history of the company and its founder as important to me as it was when I first signed on. However I never miss one of PeeWee's posts, for he, like Inland Andy is a one-of-a-kind asset.
But I am most interested in the maintaining and preserving the actual trailer. Sometimes tho the history helps with some repair mystery. That's good.
The most interest to me would be to interview some of the old upper management buyers and designer/engineers and some of the line assemblers etc.
Also I would love to find more about the vendors that made the ABS items and the Extrusion vendors etc.
The biggest history mystery (IMHO) is the one that involves the Henschen Rubbers and EXACTLY when they changed to the improved formula.

Would also like to have access to all the past service-bulletins and see the working drawings (blueprints) for various models.
I do hope all that is being archived and someone is trying to round it all up. But in all honesty none of it is absolutely necessary to maintain and repair the vintage trailers.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
My wife made sure I saw it. I really enjoyed it. And Doug and Suzie Carr are hotrodders building many woodies so any time a fellow vintage hotrod stationwagon owner also gets involved in Airstreams I'm on board.

It looked in the pictures like they actually live in that trailer. Is that a correct assumption?

Peewee, as always, thanks for your info. It keeps things real in a world full of hype.

Barry