Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2004, 11:18 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

PBS special on Airstream

In Goergia, PBS will run a special on trailer life featuring specifically Airstreams
on DEC 23rd. Should be cool.

RM
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 08:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Sounds like fun. Is this a new production or rerun?
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:05 AM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0557
In Goergia, PBS will run a special on trailer life featuring specifically Airstreams
on DEC 23rd. Should be cool.

RM
got any more information? can't find anything on the pbs website...can't search schedules more than 2 weeks ahead. searching on "airstream" yields nothing. how'd you hear about this? whats the name of the program?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:26 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

PBS special

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
got any more information? can't find anything on the pbs website...can't search schedules more than 2 weeks ahead. searching on "airstream" yields nothing. how'd you hear about this? whats the name of the program?
They have been airing the advertisment in the late evening after the Tavis Smiley shows. PBS is bad about posting schedules more than two weeks in advance.

RM
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 05:55 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Please post the details if you have time.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
From up here on the tundra...

... the land of a little ice and no snow. There can't be anything useful happening up here so we'll hire out for research. I believe there is a useful website called Google ... (cut the showing off -- they were serious!)

I found Georgia Public Broadcasting pretty easily. Clicking on the 'TV Schedule' in the upper left wasn't very useful for the date you mentioned. Then I clicked on 'Search the Schedule' and entered Airstream. That brought these results for Atlanta: Mobile America
Monday, December 20, 2004, 10:00 PM
Sunday, December 26, 2004, 5:00 AM

I double clicked on the hyperlink Mobile America and got the following information: Mobile America
Monday, December 20, 2004, 10:00:00 PM
In this nostalgic one-hour documentary, popular host Huell Howser goes in search of the history of the RV in America. MOBILE AMERICA contains archival material from the respective eras. Newsreels, company films, cartoons, film clips, home movies and personal photos fill out this trip down memory lane. The adventure begins with David Woodworth, the preeminent collector of pre-World War II travel trailers, tent trailers, motor campers and most everything else to do with early American camping. The program also includes a tour Mae West's custom-built motor home built in the 1930s. Next it's off to a vintage trailer rally, where 50 trailers dating from 1935 to 1960 have assembled to spend a weekend showing off their pride and joys. Later, the program features a visit to a Teardrop trailer that was built in the 1940s and is only 10-feet long and four feet wide, but packs all the comforts of home. There also is a segment on the consummate American travel trailer, the Airstream, which has been producing been producing their silver bullet trailers since 1936.

This doesn't appear to be coming up on Minnesota's Public TV. Noticed something about Louisville having it coming up. Every regional market for public TV buys programs like your library buys magazine subscriptions. They are totally unique in the packages they buy and have some independence about when it might be viewed. Anybody else interested might get further on their regional PBS website -- I've found they have the schedule a full month ahead, just like the programming magazine that members frequently receive as a benefit of supporting PBS.

Looked a little further -- the tapes can be bought. But why don't you watch it and review the program before you recommend that. Please reply back on this same thread! Thanks.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
PBS special on Airstream

Mobile America is a very interesting documentary. I was able to view most of the documentary during the Spring Pledge Drive (I don't remember whether it was in the Quad Cities or in Southern Illinois) - - if my memory serves correctly the segment about Airstream was just under 20 minutes. I know that it was interesting enough that I ordered a copy of the show - - I haven't had an opportunity to view the tape as it arrived after I had packed up my VCR, and I haven't unpacked the box containing that particular tape yet.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I've seen this too--they play it as a PBS fundraiser here. It's kind of funny, since we have 3 PBS stations and they all play it sporadically with exactly the same pre-recorded pledge breaks (guys sitting around a camping set with a vintage SOB trailer)! Brian Burkhardt (excuse the spelling) appears in the documentary and in the pledge breaks.

One thing--the broadcast version is apparently shorter than the full dvd/vhs version. If it spurs you to pledge, that's great. Otherwise, the video is available cheap from Amazon--and many public libraries have it, too.

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:22 PM   #9
Craftsman

I just tried a search on Amazon and it doesn't come up.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:04 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Try Huell Howser Productions

Huell got his start here in Nashville doing special features on the local NBC affiliate. Then, he got the axe one day for "editorializing." Now he's made a career out of doing just that, apparently.

Bob
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:27 PM   #11
Craftsman

Thanks, That works.