Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream "In the News"
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #261
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
First trial of the Camco ramps, parking and leveling in a driving rainstorm: we definitely needed something on the bottom of those ramps to stop them slipping as we backed up onto them. The Camco ramps are both shorter and steeper than the old red ones that we don't want to use anymore. Shorter = clear benefit for trailers with 2 or more axles. Steeper ramp = greater need for traction on the bottom of the ramp.

Thanks for the update. I'm wondering if rubber skids on a 1" deep plank would help? Or screwing in some screws in the holes on the bottom to act kind of like studded tires?

You're right that the shorter/steeper characteristics can increase slippage...
Old 04-15-2018, 02:09 PM   #262
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I finally sent Ryan Andersen a direct message. Again stated that involving his son in the coverup was his worst act, and that just having a spare set of plates says that he is a career con artist.

I also said I would bet big money that he would be incensed if someone used weed killer on his lawn to leave him a message.

That's great, Paula. Messages spot on!

When you say "personal message" do you have an address other than his "apology" page contact? I've sent 2 messages through that and 2 to the company - no responses at all to any of them.

I gave them a window to allow me to send them back their levelers. That passed. They went in the recycles....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3473.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	308775
Old 04-15-2018, 04:07 PM   #263
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
-- snip --no responses at all to any of them. -- snip --Attachment 308775
We may be expecting change in too quick a time frame, but it looks like
NO RESPONSE is the RESPONSE.
Plan is - Pay fine, ignore protest and ride it out.

The campfire story is worth telling. Red seems to recycle well.

Thank you for contributing to the thread. Pat
Old 04-15-2018, 05:04 PM   #264
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I would have just rattle canned them black and played dumb if someone asked what brand they were if someone asked and I didn't feel like advertising for Andersen.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:17 PM   #265
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I would have just rattle canned them black and played dumb if someone asked what brand they were if someone asked and I didn't feel like advertising for Andersen.

Tempting idea - but I couldn't do it.

Oddly enough - there's a black set by a different company that looks exactly like the red version....wondering if they're connected or if this might be a patent violation....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078T...4PL&ref=plSrch
Old 04-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #266
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
So, I wonder if the CEO of Airstream had scribbled "Airstream" across the rock how many people would torch their trailers to teach him a lesson.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #267
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
We may be expecting change in too quick a time frame, but it looks like

NO RESPONSE is the RESPONSE.

Plan is - Pay fine, ignore protest and ride it out.

The campfire story is worth telling. Red seems to recycle well.

Thank you for contributing to the thread. Pat

Yes - no response seems to be the response. Very disappointing. The comments on the "apology" page have been responded to by a marketing firm - "You have a right to be upset. Ryan is taking this to heart..." etc. BS....

What a let down!
Old 04-15-2018, 06:11 PM   #268
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Quote:
So, I wonder if the CEO of Airstream had scribbled "Airstream" across the rock how many people would torch their trailers to teach him a lesson.
Please! Entirely different business model. Would only need to communicate and show his irreparable damage of a National Park... to the Airstream Board of Executives and let them and stockholders take appropriate action. Also, who would even think of "torching" a $100,000 investment?? Big difference between a $12.95 Anderson leveling block and the family Airstream Trailer.

My sincere advice to the Anderson Family, instead of hiring a PR firm; they should hire an approved restoration service to remove their names from all the National Parks they have defaced. Only then will they regain the trust of many Airstream owners.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:18 PM   #269
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
-- snip -- if the CEO of Airstream had scribbled "Airstream" across the rock how many people would torch their trailers -- snip --
As with Tim Cook's comment on Facebook's data give away. When he was asked what he would do, he said the company would not be in the situation. Good management "Gets It" and if they do make a mistake, they fix it. The ones that don't, get fired. The company fixes it. Pat
Old 04-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #270
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Yes - no response seems to be the response. Very disappointing. The comments on the "apology" page have been responded to by a marketing firm - "You have a right to be upset. Ryan is taking this to heart..." etc. BS....

What a let down!

There is probably no way he can keep up with the emails etc. and run a business. I would think he would need someone to handle it for him?

Besides, would it change your mind if he wrote back saying “I’m sorry”? It won’t change what he did yet saying that is what everyone wants to hear and accomplished nothing. Further, would you actually believe it?

“It’s better to ask forgiveness than ask permission” was probably his thought.

Our best approach IMO is let him know with our wallet and word of mouth.
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
Old 04-15-2018, 06:25 PM   #271
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
And remind people when the topic comes up in other threads. See post 39.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:47 PM   #272
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

Great question. I'd like to think I'd sell mine for another brand.

That would be quite egregious.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:51 PM   #273
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi, we don't deal with "if's" so there will not be a proper answer to your question.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 04-16-2018, 12:47 AM   #274
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Vengeance really should be left to the Lord, so I am glad I don't have the man's home address.

But I confess I probably watch Dr. Phil at least once a week. (A local station airs it at 7 AM and 5 PM so while waking up to a cuppa coffee, it's easy to watch cause I don't have to drive thru rush hour - retired!) If I didn't already know it, the show has reaffirmed that people persist in stupid behavior - because they never realize there are better alternatives and/or actually believe that what they are doing is right. 30 year old "children" mooching off parents, siblings, grands, etc. Women and men staying in abusive relationships. Parents who beat, starve and imprison their children... get caught and simply can't understand what all the fuss is about. It is all so much more common than we realize.
And - duh! So much easier to see when others are doing it instead of saying, am I like that?

We all grow up with our baseline "normal" being whatever our parents did. College or military service changed everything for a lot of us by making us aware that other families were very different from ours. I went to dinner at an observant Jewish girlfriend's house several times... Oddly whenever I watch Blue Bloods I think of those dinners. Never had anything like that in my house.
I was well aware of the dietary laws, but asked Mama to tell me how to help in the kitchen without violating any of the rules, and impressed her by knowing why they had two refrigerators, stoves and sets of dishes. I implied that her daughter even kept kosher in the dorm (a pizza with cheese and meat? Never - Lynnie taught me to love pizza with cheese and green olives!) Mama would have died if she had seen a half eaten sausage pizza fly out the window when her parents visited unexpectedly... followed by three girls spitting Listerine!

Ah, the good old days.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:58 AM   #275
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Exactly. So glad I use wood blocks. Geez how hard is it to level a trailer anyway?

This thread has gone beyond stupid.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 04-16-2018, 04:19 AM   #276
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
. . .
So glad I use wood blocks.
. . .
Ditto

Old 04-16-2018, 05:06 AM   #277
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Exactly. So glad I use wood blocks. Geez how hard is it to level a trailer anyway?

This thread has gone beyond stupid.
The thread may be stupid (depending on your point of view) but I don't think it is about leveling a trailer.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:21 AM   #278
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBinSD View Post
I have seen strips of rubber used.

I will use the leftover “puzzle” type rubber flooring for mine. Probably last one trip as it is not a solid rubber.

The Camco ones do slip easy !
Have never tried the 'rocker' style levelers, level & rocker don't seem compatible. 🧀

These have worked for us.
Ramp boards are 8" wide, hinged, can be used forward or backing, have worked fine since the Classic was new. 👍
KISS 👄

Bob
🇱🇷
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_f56.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	677.9 KB
ID:	308831   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1889.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	308832  

Old 04-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #279
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
The norm is "Leave No Trace" and there is regulation in place to enforce the norm when violation is in the form of damage and defacement of public land. However, history proves over and over that regulation is of limited value if not supported by a high percentage of the general public. So, this thread is important to remind Airstreamers that there are still selfish and ignorant folks who need the benefit of soft power in the form of education, peer pressure and ecconomic backlash to learn the importance of the "Leave No Trace" norm. Thank you for your contribution to the thread. Pat
Old 04-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #280
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
-- snip --responded to by a marketing firm - -- snip --
So, there is a response. At least that is encouraging. Isolating the issue to a separate internet silo may be percieved as good tactics, but only Defacer2018's closest friends and family can know what he has "taken to heart". He hired the wrong PR consultants. Pat
Closed Thread