Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Airstream "In the News"
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 11:59 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Just sent an email to his business address expressing my view on this vandalism. My guess is ,this is the true nature of this individual and no matter the amount of distain and humiliation heaped on or fines imposed I wouldnt put money on much of anything changing this behavior. If as an adult he thinks this is okay and if caught enlist your children to help cover up your criminal behavior I’m sure this carries over into other parts of his life including his business.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I am not suggesting giving him a pass. He is beyond stupid. Prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law. But don’t take it out on the company. Put the blame on him.
brick
Old 04-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Oak Ridge , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Is an American Bus. owner above laws?
Yes, in a lot of cases they are. Sad but true.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
\Prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law. But don’t take it out on the company. Put the blame on him.
brick
From their web site:

"Our family-owned, US-based company is headquartered in Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA......

As a family-owned company we ...."

He IS the company.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:18 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Jones View Post
Let's all take a big breath. He definitely made a mistake and I suspect he has learned from the public shaming. Let us all hope we don't make similar mistakes in the future, as we are all human.

I love my Andersen products and this lapse of judgement has nothing to do with the company.
Was this the first time anyone did this at this monument? Just wondering if it was pristine prior to this.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 04-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Was this the first time anyone did this at this monument? Just wondering if it was pristine prior to this.
Past bad behavior by others doesn’t excuse him. Using that reasoning it would be okay if I took a hammer to your classic car because I noticed you had a few dents in the door
Old 04-06-2018, 01:11 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Ditto per below, but nothing to do with Anderson hitches.

So easy to throw stones at others. Guy didn't think and was trying to do something nice for his family. Its not like he painted spray paint or something premeditated.

I don't have an Anderson hitch and cant imagine ever having one, so no horse in the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Jones View Post
Let's all take a big breath. He definitely made a mistake and I suspect he has learned from the public shaming. Let us all hope we don't make similar mistakes in the future, as we are all human.

I love my Andersen products and this lapse of judgement has nothing to do with the company.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Seattle , Washington
Spray paint would have been a lot easier to remove than carvings.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
From their web site:

"Our family-owned, US-based company is headquartered in Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA......

As a family-owned company we ...."

He IS the company.
Linkedin list the Company as having between 11 and 50 employees. How many families would you like to see destroyed over one idiots actions?
Old 04-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
I certainly hope that if the CEO of my company decided to tag the Grand Canyon that my family would not have to pay for it.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Ok, backing out of this one as am not one to deal in emotional debate, but will leave it with something some fella said a long time ago... let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Linkedin list the Company as having between 11 and 50 employees. How many families would you like to see destroyed over one idiots actions?

None - but this feels as though you're shifting the consequences from the person who did the bad action to those who wish to speak out about that with their wallets. He's the person responsible for the 11-50 employees well being. He should have thought of them before jeopardizing their well being by doing something so egregious ESPECIALLY in the eyes of his primary customers - campers who want these treasures treated sacredly. The lack of forethought and decency on his part is unimaginable and the consequences - including if 50 families need jobs now because no one will buy his products - are solely on his head, not that of those who boycott.

Perhaps those families should sue him as a class action for jeopardizing their income potential by a stupid, selfish, heinous, and likely criminal act?

He bears the consequences.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:39 PM   #73
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
There is only one way for this company to survive. The guy needs to do real conservation work for the next two years and the company needs to promote conservation as much as they promote the companies product. If you want to save those folk's jobs, you might want to pass the word along that change is needed and it better be quickly visible. Pat
Old 04-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
None - but this feels as though you're shifting the consequences from the person who did the bad action to those who wish to speak out about that with their wallets. He's the person responsible for the 11-50 employees well being. He should have thought of them before jeopardizing their well being by doing something so egregious ESPECIALLY in the eyes of his primary customers - campers who want these treasures treated sacredly. The lack of forethought and decency on his part is unimaginable and the consequences - including if 50 families need jobs now because no one will buy his products - are solely on his head, not that of those who boycott.

Perhaps those families should sue him as a class action for jeopardizing their income potential by a stupid, selfish, heinous, and likely criminal act?

I understand your position to a degree but what if the offender was just joe smoe and didn’t own a company to attack? If he was selling products that harm the parks then I would be for shutting down his company.
Punishments need to be equal.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post

I concur. And since it's a family company, many/most of the employees may be relatives.

I'd like the employees to stand up to him, explain the jeopardy he's placed them in, and force him to make amends. Companies can recover from this sort of thing, if they do the right thing.

It's all up to him.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
Past bad behavior by others doesn’t excuse him. Using that reasoning it would be okay if I took a hammer to your classic car because I noticed you had a few dents in the door
I was simply asking a question. Jesus. Anyone know the answer?

My classic is pristine. You would not come out of it well.

I know everyone who posts here is perfect, but not everyone is.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 04-06-2018, 02:39 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
You would not come out of it well.
. . .

What?

Old 04-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
I was simply asking a question. Jesus. Anyone know the answer?

My classic is pristine. You would not come out of it well.

I know everyone who posts here is perfect, but not everyone is.

See post 60 for the answer to your question - it's has been vandalized before.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
I understand your position to a degree but what if the offender was just joe smoe and didn’t own a company to attack? If he was selling products that harm the parks then I would be for shutting down his company.

Punishments need to be equal.

Joe Smoe and Andersen should both pay hefty fines, go to jail, and do years of community service. Whatever the maximum penalty of the law is, it should apply to both equally.

What's different is Joe doesn't make a living off a community of campers who overwhelmingly want national treasures like this protected and free from vandalism. I don't know what Andersen's net worth is because of that, but I contributed nearly $80 to it when I purchased those levelers and he paid me back by desecrating MY land. The law should punish equally. As a business owner, he may find that customers will not tolerate those actions either - and our only recourse is our wallets.

I should say - others have mentioned he should do community service and make large donations to BLM and National Parks. That may also be a good start toward restoring confidence among consumers. A real, honest, contrite, and sustained educational campaign to prevent others from ever being so stupid would be a welcome touch as well. He could do a lot to make amends for this. But he'd have to be sincere and effective with it to mean anything to me.

In the meantime, I'm sorry I ever bragged about his levelers or suggested to some that his hitch could possibly be a good solution for them.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:32 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
It would be appropriate to fine each family member (Dad gets to pay the $500,000) the $100,000 fine each and spend the five one year jail time sequentially for each member of the family.

A harsh message to other would be “carvers”.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Closed Thread